What makes for a good location? [General]

2014 Nov 14
I touched on this briefly in another thread, and it's not a simple question, but what makes for a good location in your opinion? Perhaps some young startup chefs can refer to this thread before they make a snap decision on a trendy location...

Some points I think are important:
1) Parking
2) Proximity to disposable income
3) The ever ethereal 'ambiance'
4) Proximity to the market/clientele that your presumed dining experience appeals to most
5) Affordability
6) High degree of 'turn-key'ism
7) Accessibility

2014 Nov 14
I would add consistency. I want the next meal to be as tasty and properly prepared as the one before. While you list affordability, I would add "value for money". It doesn't matter to me if the meal is expensive or inexpensive but I have to feel like I'm getting what I'm paying for. These are but two of the reasons I am sad about Juniper closing. All the meals were consistently good (never, ever, had a bad one), they were beautifully presented and they were always full value for what I paid for them.

2014 Nov 14
Um, we're talking about what makes a good location not what makes a good restaurant.

I'm having trouble adding to the original list ...

2014 Nov 15
Being close to other good restaurants? I read about a coffee shop owner who was very worried when Starbucks opened across the street. But his business doubled and he has opened other coffee shops near other Starbucks.

I guess it depends on why people go there. There are good places in Chelsea and Wakefield that are isolated. I don't know if they get much business in the winter though. But rent may be cheaper in a remote location.

Depends on what you are selling and what your costs are.

Businesses survive when they have customers and make a profit (buy low sell high). You could make a tiny profit on each customer, but have lots of them in a prime location and survive on that small profit scaled up (Starbucks ?). Or you can make more profit off fewer people in another location and survive that way.

A restaurant is a lot of work though, if you are thinking of starting one. :-)

I guess a chip truck can choose it's location (assuming permits).

What about a floating restaurant on a large boat ?

2014 Nov 15
Need more coffee.
"What makes for good lubrication" is not the title. That's a different site.

2014 Nov 17
Might I add - "walkability" ability to walk to location from home ties into # 4 - location, location, location. May not only be walkability from home or office but also ability to walk in the area of the restaurant even if you drive to get there ... Might be close to some feature in nature like the canal or a really good patio, ability to sit in the sun in nice weather or hide-a-way in the back near a fire in the winter.