Have you seen this knife block? [General]

2007 Oct 29
Every online dealer I've found no longer has stock (Canada/US/UK, you name it) and I've scoured Ottawa & Toronto and can't find it anywhere!

It's a magnetic knife block by Rosendahl, retails for ~$300

"The Magnetic Knife Holder offers stylish and hygienic storage for knives, designed by Anders Norgaard Rosendahl. A design classic of the future to suit any kitchen. The magnetic knife holder makes it easy to identify the knives due to the external storage concept, which also makes it more hygienic than traditional knifeblocks where food particles can remain undetected. The knife holder is easy to clean, simply wipe it with a cloth. The knives can be mounted on both sides of the magnetic block. The rubber feet on the knife holder ensure firm and secure placement. Manufactured from 2.5 mm stainless steel, the knifeholder forms an attractive symmetric shape."

2007 Oct 29
...and as a bonus you'll never drop your cutlery again. As soon as you let go of your fork it rockets across the room and glues itself to the Rosendahl knife block! ;-)

That is pretty sweet, but the price... ack! Couldn't you just make a block yourself and embed a bunch of powerful rare earth magnets (e.g. from Lee Valley) into it? Not quite the same impact I guess.

2007 Oct 30
I want one that has a magnetic field that suspends the knives in the air.. preferrably rotating slowly... ;-)

2007 Oct 30
They've done it with globes - why not knives?

www.geocities.com

2007 Oct 30
Jokes aside - I actually saw something similar to it in a movie a few years back which was my inspiration. It's more of a piece of art than a knife block and it would fit quite nicely with our modern decor.

Last time I was in Toronto I checked Williams Sonoma and William Ashley with no luck. Any other suggestions for stores to check?

2007 Oct 31
Williams Sonoma and William Ashley don't seem to cater too much to bakeware. Apparently there's a nice kitchen store on Queen near Spadina - wish I can remember the name! If it comes to mind I'll let you know. But if you have exhausted your resources in Ottawa you can try Ares in Montreal: www.arescuisine.com/main.htm. It's a little like C.A. Paradis in that they have alot of equipment for restaurant kitchens but alot of nice stuff for home kitchens too. I seem to recall the prices being a little more reasonable than Paradis. It's actually on the Trans Canada highway in the suburb of Pointe Claire (my hometown - yay!) so the traffic and long commute across town shouldn't hinder your journey. Good luck!

2007 Oct 31
Monty my mind block has just unblocked itself! The kitchen store in Toronto I was thinking of is Nella Cucina actually on Bathurst a little north of Bloor. Haven't been yet but I learned of this place from another group I'm in. Their products look nice: www.nellacucina.ca/.

2007 Oct 31
Thanks so much for the suggestions! Nella Cucina looks like the right type of shop.