Weenie roasting without camping [General]

2014 Jun 4
I'd like to roast some weenies with my kids but we aren't big campers (packing, unpacking, mosquitoes, bad sleep, etc).

Does anyone know of places in the Ottawa area where one can have a campfire without actually, you know, camping? Most day use picnic areas don't seem to have fire pits. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

2014 Jun 4
Fresh Foodie I think I've seen fire pits at Britannia and Vincent Massey parks.

2014 Jun 4
There is also a fire pit at the end of Grandview Drive (about 200 metres west of the parking area) that is commonly used, although it is technically illegal as it lies on NCC property. With this being said, I have used it many times (and know people that have as well) and never got in any trouble.

2014 Jun 4
I think all the parks in Ottawa will have BBQs, but not fire pits. Gatineau park has lots of fire pits - one per overnight camp spot ;)

Do you have room in your backyard? You could get a turkish grill from Lee Valley www.leevalley.com,40725 to use in the city.

2014 Jun 4
Yes, it's the ground level pit I'm looking for rather than the city park raised stand BBQ. Like you see in campsites, but for day use.

TheNatureMan, Grandview is convenient for me but I'm trying to postpone the "Dad gets in trouble by the policeman (aka Bylaw Officer)" life lesson aspect of weenie roasting. :D

hipfunkyfun, that's a shiny looking Turkish grill for $280! I have a rusty Canadian Tire kettle BBQ that would serve the same purpose. It's a nice idea.. might be a good compromise. Hmmm...

2014 Jun 4
Fresh Foodie After a little more investigation Britannia does in fact have pits not raised bbq stands and so does Mooney's Bay beach. I found this nifty page on the City of Ottawa website: ottawa.ca

Vincent Massey Park also has actual pits according to their website: www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca

Now I am craving roast weenies and marshmallows... Thanks Fresh Foodie-;)

2014 Jun 4
Those BBQ pits are free standing BBQs. We've used them before. Some are great and others are in really bad shape, or were used with something other than charcoal. I don't think the city would have any ground pits. I think a firewood ground pit would be a safety hazard in a public park.

2014 Jun 4
If you're willing to make it into a day trip and drive a bit, it's perfectly legal to have a campfire on "general use" crown land (as long as there is no fire ban in effect). There is lots of such crown land within an easy drive of Ottawa. My favourite is Park Lake in Lanark County. 1 hour drive, accessible by any car (maybe a few rough patches). Lots of campsites with classic fire pits, free, first come first served. Bring your bathing suits! Just be aware that some campers don't clean up after themselves. Always a crapshoot whether the place will be pristine or a garbage dump.

2014 Jun 4
Check your PM, I can make arrangements ...

2014 Jun 4
There are upright fire "pits" at Remic Rapids. They are basically built-in BBQs that you can put charcoal in and do your weenie roasts.

Or - crazy idea I know - you could sign your kids up with the local Scout troop and let someone else take care of the weenie roasts :-) Closest to you is likely 3rd Ottawa in Westboro - really good troop that does lots of outdoor activity.

2014 Jun 4
Oh you can also do the "urban bonfire" at home, which I have done many times. A turkey fryer propane burner, surrounded with lawn chairs. I can lend you a turkey fryer.