New Age Blender [General]

2014 Jun 3
Arrived and unboxed. Looks well very well made.

The motorized base is large and sturdy. It rests on four big rubber feet. I don't notice anything amiss with the finish or quality.

Pictures to follow.

2014 Jun 3
Box before unpacking.

Everything on box, and instructions, and unit is only in English.

2014 Jun 3
Dive gear on the base.

2014 Jun 3
Drive gear on the container.

2014 Jun 3
Whole unit with tamping rod.

2014 Jun 3
Instructions are simple and well written.

Variable speed mode or pulse mode. Pulse mode overrides variable speed mode.

I pulverized ice in the container at once.

For a motor that size I was expecting noisy, but it was quiet.

2014 Jun 3
Looks a lot like a re-badged 5000 series Vitamix

2014 Jun 3
Rotate me right :-)

2014 Jun 4
@zym I rotated all the pics to stand up straight, but when I uploaded them they were on their side again.

2014 Jun 4
So where did you get it and how much was it Francis?

Regarding the comment about a re-badged Vitamix - quite possibly comes out of the same factory in China. And probably not much Vitamix can do about it - one of the dangers of shifting manufacturing over there.

2014 Jun 4
eBay from a guy in Toronto. Check the tail of the vitamix thread. It's reviewed on Amazon.com (different reviews for different colors - red, black, white). To find it on eBay just search "commercial blender". I ordered it Sunday and it arrived yesterday. $210 including UPS shipping from Toronto and Quebec sales tax.

I think I can also source it directly from China for about $30 cheaper including delivery by FedEx. Maybe even cheaper again if I can order a whole case. I bought one to see if it's any good, but it hasn't come yet. Same specs, 1500W, 2L carafe, 0-35,000 RPM continuously variable speed. Pulse function. Tamping rod.

The vitamix has a square base to the carafe and this one is round. It has more HP than the vitamix. From the vitamix website I'd say it's a C-Series, which start new at $575 Canadian plus taxes and shipping. So 1/3 the cost.

The thing is a monster and did a full carafe of ice cubes like nothing. It's surprisingly quiet. More so than the cheapie Black and Decker I had before. It sits on four big rubber legs, and doesn't have any vibration.

2014 Jun 4
I thought the picture rotation problem was solved, guess not. My life is hell!!

2014 Jun 4
You know, this thing blends anything . . . .

People claim a commercial blender like the Vitamix changes their life . . .

But my life hasn't changed.

The smoothies taste the same as they did from my cheap Black & Decker.

Well I guess I did put black sesame seeds into the smoothie and they got pulverized to dust, whereas before they wouldn't have been . . . but not a major difference really.

Maybe I just need more blender recipes . . . then my life will change !

2014 Jun 5
Maybe try making some ice cream??

youtu.be/Wm_MznjHLtQ

2014 Jun 5
Blender Babes? Oh. My. God. Seriously?
If there was only some way to incorporate that into my OWN marketing.
Maybe something like Vanilla Grannies.

Although ... I have been looking for something to blend vanilla beans into powder. I spoke to a Blentec rep at a trade show in the spring and they said that it shouldn't have any trouble pulverizing them. I didn't want to blow $600 on yet another device that didn't work, just to try it out.

Maybe this one would actually do the trick.

2014 Jun 5
Vanilla Vixens. Sounds better.. ;)

2014 Jun 5
The biggest differences I noticed when going from Cuisinart/KitchenAid to Vitamix was how fast it blended, it pulverizes seeds (strawberry/raspberry/etc) instead of getting them stuck in teeth or sitting in the bottom of the glass, the smoothies stayed blended MUCH longer (other blenders separated much quicker), and enough power to make you pay attention...you really want to make sure that lid is on, depending on what you're blending, whereas my old blenders, no as much.

Try making some hummus with it and you'll notice just how much smoother it can be over your old blender. Try making a raw juice with kale, carrots, etc etc in your old blender and see how it turns out compared to the new toy. Try making ice cream as well. This strains it more than anything I've tried. Your old blender wouldn't stand a chance, I'd bet.

Life changer? Probably not. Huge step up in the end result for certain blended items? Definitely.

2014 Jun 5
Vanilla Gorilla

2014 Jun 5
Killa Vanilla
The Thrilla of Vanilla

2014 Jun 5
@Stewart S

Humm . . . not a fair comparison of Blendtec to Vitamix though.

If you prefer brunettes, you are immediately drawn to the Blendtec . . .

@refashionasta

Vanilla vixens :-) LOL. What if you prefer chocolate ?

2014 Jun 5
Slate article claiming a commerical blender CAN change your life . . .

www.slate.com

When you first buy a Vitamix 5200, the so-called Ferrari of blenders, two thoughts are likely to pass through your mind. The first is “Did I really just spend more than $400 on a blender?” And the second is “This machine is going to change my life.”

At least those are the thoughts I had after I bought my Vitamix at a nutrition-related conference several weeks ago. I hadn’t planned to make this purchase; I’d merely followed some colleagues to the Vitamix demonstration stand, where a fast-talking young man with a headset and an impressive dexterity with Dixie cups was offering samples to an enthusiastic crowd. I watched as he liquefied a pineapple. I witnessed him puree an entire clove of garlic, unpeeled. I tried a sample of a green smoothie, then a tortilla soup, then a blended cappuccino. Before I knew what had happened, I’d taken out my credit card. The damage? $429.89—and that was with a discount.

As I crossed the exhibition hall, the Vitamix’s enormous box knocking against my shins, I began to question what I’d just done.

That’s when I heard a voice call out to me.

“You won’t regret a penny!” the voice cried in a thick Jamaican accent. “You won’t regret one cent!”

I turned to find an older woman waggling a finger at me, a huge smile on her face. This woman had no connection to the Vitamix booth; she just felt so passionately about her own machine that, upon viewing mine, she couldn’t help but shout.

“I love my Vit-a-mix,” she continued, enunciating each syllable, before launching into a highly complimentary review of the company’s return and repair policy. “I love it so much, I would recommend it to the dead!”

2014 Jun 5
I think the vanilla vixens is in reference to Rizak's Vanilla business. But you've sold me on the blender - been thinking about something like this for a while. Ordering one tonight!

2014 Jun 5
@sourdough . . . let us know how you like it ! :-)

I'm going to try the ice cream (with soy milk and coconut I think). I've got a whole pineapple in the fridge too.

2014 Jun 5
There is a billionaire in the USA who is trying to live to be 125. He owns Dole. He makes smoothies from fruit, peels on. Like whole bananas.

He is right that most of the nutrients are in the skin. But I guess you have to be sure there are no pesticide residues either.

www.nytimes.com

"Definitely not fruits and vegetables: he crams as many as 20 of them, including pulverized banana peels and the ground-up rinds of oranges, into the smoothies he drinks two to three times a day, to keep his body brimming with fiber and vitamins."

Hummm . . . maybe a blender can change your life, or just make more of it . . .

2014 Jun 5
Keep us posted sourdough ... I just may drop the coin on one at this price. But will wait for a 2nd review too :-)

2014 Jun 5
Foolishness loves company . . . thanks guys :-)

p.s. Found a chocolate ice cream recipe:

www.vitamix.com

But "Chocolate covered Katie" (hummm . . . ) says it tastes more like ice than ice cream.

chocolatecoveredkatie.com

2014 Jun 7
Other things I've noticed now . . . .

Differences to the Vitamix (V) and Blendtec (B):

1. 3HP motor, 3500 RPM. [V 2.2 HP, 3700 RPM | B 3HP, 4080 RPM]
2. Round base to the carafe. [V square base, B square base]
3. Blades 6, 2 angled downwards. [V 4 sharp blades, B 2 blunt blades]
4. Relatively quiet. [V noisy, B noisy (unless $1200 stealth model)]

The blender only works if the carafe is on top.

The pulse function works independently of the ON/OFF switch.

I did manage to overload it with ice and oranges on the lowest speed setting, making sorbet. Most recipes say start at low and then increase speed so that's what I did, but it couldn't get spinning. Turning the speed dial to high or using pluse got it going though. Then I had to use the tamping rod with the sorbet. I think I used too much ice. I didn't measure it and I pushed it down into the oranges a bit using the lid when I first loaded the blender.

The "ice cream" doesn't taste like ice cream and it melts faster. It's more like a gelato or sorbet.

Apparently if you start off with cold soup, and blend it on high for several minutes, it can get steaming hot. I haven't tried that yet but I will.

2014 Jun 9
Mine arrived today in black. So far, one batch of smoothies for the kids. These were made with frozen raspberry/blueberry mix from Costco. I needed to use the plunger thingy twice - but once it got going it seemed to mix pretty well. The raspberry seeds did not get pulverized, but everything else was nice and smooth. I had a minimal amount of liquid (1/2 cup of milk, and a bunch of yogurt and a little spash of whip cream).

A couple of other points - no UL, or CSA sticker on the blender. A noticible "hmmm whats that electrical related smell" when I ran it. Hopefully just dust on the coils/contacts. (Francis did you encounter the new electrial appliance smell - or am I doomed for a burn out?) This does have me slightly worried, less so that it will burst into flames, more so that it just burns out.

We will try ice and blender drinks in the coming days - primary purpose is for real fruit smoothies for the kids - our hand blender was giving up, and we had mixed results from the old stand blender.

2014 Jun 10
@sourdough, I didn't notice any smell, with mine. From the eBay site the seller says there is a 1 year warranty. If the electrical smell doesn't go away contact the seller.

I did jam it once (threw in two oranges, one peeled, sugar and ice cubes to make sorbet), but shut it off immediately. When I tried again on high power it worked and pulse also worked.

No UL or CSA stickers on mine either. In fact a sticker may have been removed from the cord (sticky spot there where a sticker might have been).

The electrical smell may have been packaging oil in the motor. If it goes away you are probably fine. We use ours pretty often and hard, so I think if it burns out it will happen within a year.

My daughter makes green smoothies that are pretty good: cup of organic spinach, cup of coconut water, cup of frozen mango from Costco, scoop of Vega protein powder (Tropical flavor), tbsp of Chia seeds (also from Costco). If you want it really thick, add in 4 ice cubes.

I haven't tried raspberry seeds. Just black sesame seeds, which I tried in the smoothies and in some hummus - for hummus it wasn't thick enough because I didn't drain the liquid from the can of chick peas first. I found the hummus tasty though (canned chick peas, garlic salt, cumin, apple cider vinegar, black sesame seeds).

------------------

The Chinese say black sesame seeds are a health food and good for your hair (preventing grey hair and hair thinning). Whether that works or not, LOL, you can get a huge bag of either black or white sesame seeds at the Chinese Pharmacy across from Kowloon Market for a few dollars. I put them on pancakes too with maple syrup. They taste the same as the white sesame seeds. Same price for either I think.

------------------

The Plant Based Junkies group on FB said there was a Groupon for a Vitamix, refurbished for $299 and it was the cheapest price yet seen. If the New Age doesn't work out, you could have a look at that:

www.groupon.com

2014 Jun 10
The Plant Based Junkies Group on FB said there was a groupon for a reconditioned Vitamix for $299 and it was the cheapest price yet seen. Here it is:

www.groupon.com

2014 Jun 10
I think I have the origins of this New Age Blender figured out.

The eBay page says CE ad CB certified. I looked and these are European certifications.

I found a Chinese manufacturer for what appears to be the same product, though listed as 220v. I asked if they could supply a 110v version and they said yes, but they had to specially order the 110v motor for it.

So I think this is a European commercial blender with the motor changed to the 110v version and the plug changed to a UL plug.

Someone likely bought a crate of them and is selling them at a modest markup on eBay.ca and amazon.com.

2014 Jun 12
If anyone is planning to use one of these for commercial purposes, remember Ontario has the strictest regulations for certification anywhere...CE stickers don't count here and the ESSA can shut you down if your stuff isn't properly certified for commercial. Also if that blender burns your house down your insurance can refuse to pay up if it's not properly certified!

2014 Jun 12
While I was waiting for the 110v motor I found out the company makes a 2200 Watt version (Vitamix 1380 W, Blendtec 1500 W, New Age 1500 W). The company says it will blend nuts, dry or with water. Got to try it :-)

2014 Jun 15
I've been doing some research on certifications. The CSA makes money from selling it's certifications. Manufacturers pay them for it. It seems to operate as a private commercial entity.

Their is some confusion as to CSA's role, and furthermore the government denies they are a regulatory body:

www.restorecsa.com/

You see, if one were to ask the current Minister of Industry whether the CSA is a government regulator, the answer would be “no.” But if you asked an agency within Industry Canada, as we once did, the answer would be “yes.” If you were to ask the CSA if they were part of government they would say “no.” Unless you asked one of their foreign offices, in which case the answer would change to “yes.” If Industry Canada asked the CSA the answer would be “no.” If The Competition Bureau asked them, and they did, then the answer changes to “yes.”

See the problem?

In this smog of ambiguity, the current Minister of Industry, James Moore, has cheerfully advised us that “the CSA is not government-mandated” and is “not a regulatory body,” that it “has no regulatory role in Canada,” and that the CSA “does not report to the Minister of Industry either directly or indirectly” and “does not report to the Standards Council of Canada (“SCC”).

2014 Jun 15
I know a guy who works at Ottawa Hydro and he says that when they audit construction sites, one of the things they will do is walk through and check every single electrical tool, work light, and extension cord for CSA ratings, and if they don't have it they immediately haul out their knife and cut the cord - no questions asked.

2014 Jun 15
I remember when I worked for a company in GHG certification (in software), that someone mentioned CSA and other standards bodies were just private companies.

Since the Minister of Industry denies they have any regulatory power, and no one in Canada says they do, unless they are talking to foreign manufacturers, it seems they are just playing on the name "Canadian" to imply they are a regulatory agency to extort fees from manufacturers who don't know any better.

It seems some Ottawa Hydro workers have jumped on the bandwagon. They have no authority to cut those cords, whether they do or not out of xenophobia or some other reason is another story.

2014 Jun 15
There have been similar issues on the BBQ circuit. The power guys show up to inspect the site, and threaten to shut down anything that is not CSA certified, even if it UL or other certified from the states. Its a power thing (pun inteneded). However there is a risk from uncertified equipement. For the blender I'm not too worried, just unplug when not in use and it is not a problem. If it catches on fire while I'm there I know how to deal with it. There are plenty of CSA devices that have been known to melt away and destroy a house (looking at you mister coffee maker).

2014 Jun 16
You would have to be there to catch the fire though.

My sisters apt in Montreal almost burned down last year as she was going out.
Her ceiling caught fire and luckily she was there and called the firefighters and only a part of her kitchen burned down.

She has insurance, so their paid for that as it was something with the building.

I did not know this about the CSA, so this is interesting.

I also thought Vitamix was still made in the United States??

2014 Jun 16
When I was googling I searched to see if you can sue CSA if your CSA labeled appliance caught fire, and I don't think you can. They make no warranty.

It's just a labeling thing like "Intel Inside" or "Fair Trade".

However I did uncover a lawsuit between CSA and a competitior, who initially supported CSA, then they sued him for publishing a book with "their" standards.

One of the houses in my neighbourhood burned down a few years back, quick, within 20 minutes. The guy was out at the time, and his next door neighbour was buring weeds, and the fire spread to the neighbour's house. His own house was untouched. Kind of an akward moment when your neighbour gets home though . . . . I assume the house insurance covered it.

My wife wanted to burn weeds encroaching into our gravel driveway and I gave her my culinary butane torch . . . it's big, but I'm not sure it worked or not. The weeds were singed, but time will tell if they were killed. We didn't want to use chemicals, even on the driveway. But maybe we will have to.

2014 Jun 21
Pickling vinegar, salt and dish soap sprayed on weeds does the trick. I did this last year in the interlock portion of my driveway and it killed the weeds fairly quickly. They take a while to totally disappear but it definitely works. If you can find a higher acidic acid than the 7% pickling vinegar it would work even better, but I couldn't find any in my brief search.

2014 Jun 21
@BobbyFillet

Thanks I'm going to try it ! I'll get some double strenth cleaning vinegar.

2014 Jun 26
Francis, I agree, the CSA stickers are a bit of a scam. I was talking about the Electrical Safety Authority of Ontario which, in conjunction with Health Canada, regulates products approved for use in Ontario with an iron fist. They can walk into any business in Ontario and shut it down for using non-certified appliances and products. They have probably the highest certification costs of any authority in the world...my friend spent 10's of thousands of dollars certifying a German made product with CE certifications already on it because they won't accept it unless it has one of the following marks on it:

www.esasafe.com

It's pretty much the same scam as CSA.

2014 Jun 26
I'm an Ottawa Foodies lurker seeking a great blender....

I'm heading to Toronto tomorrow and am seriously considering buying the New Age Living blender while there. I've been coveting a Vitamix for a couple of years, and this seems like a cheaper alternative.

Are you still happy with the blender? Any problems at all? I did read that you could make hot soup in it, but have you tried?

Thanks!

2014 Jun 26
I received an OmniBlend as a gift... I think it went for about $249.

I am happy with it, although I have only made a handful of recipies in it.

It has a 3hp motor I believe

2014 Jun 26
@FoodMonger great. You have a high power blender.

I'm having more smoothies now, and I do see the benefits of a high power vs. a low power blender. It's true that you can put leftover smoothie in the fridge and it stays blended. It doesn't separate out as it did with a low power blender. Also it turns out that it is important to pulverize seeds. They don't get stuck in your teeth, but more importantly the nutrients are processed by your digestive system, whereas intact seeds will just pass through you (designed to do that by evolution so they get dispersed and fertilized all in one package). The tamper is a pretty important accessory for making really thick blends (sorbets, ice creams, etc) or blending up frozen pineapple chunks, etc..

2014 Jun 26
I'm also quite happy with the blender - still thinking the motor will blow up one day, but so far it works great. The key to getting the seeds to pulverize is running it slowly to begin with and slowly increasing the speed. As soon as it gets too fast, the bottom layers creates its own vortex and the top of the smoothie doesn't participate in the mixing process. Its an art form - call me a smoothie artist :)

2014 Jun 28
@sourdough that's when you have to use the tamper :-) start slow, but not too slow I find, maybe 30% power, then crank it up. If the vortex starts - tamp ! (this is with other other smoothie stuff in the blender too)

Flax seeds I find at Super C (super cheap).

Another thing I found for green smoothies, is bok choy has more nutrients than spinach, and it's cheaper, and it makes a good green smoothie substituted for the spinach.

:-)

But there is a guy who pulverized seeds in a vitamix by running it dry first, with just the seeds . . . it kind of makes a seed tornado and smashes them. But the carafe has to be dry or they would probably stick to the wet sides.

I notice seed parts sometimes stick to the sides anyway, requiring me to actually clean the carafe out by wiping with a sponge rather than just spinning it after with clean water.

Seed tornado in Vitamix vid:

2014 Jun 28
It looks like that demo is using the wet jar for grinding dry. I have a dry only jar that has a different blade profile that is to be used for seeds, etc.

2014 Jul 3
I got the 2200W blender. I had to pay $26 in duty on it.

It's about the same size as the New Age blender.

But there are two things I don't like about it: (1) The carafe is a bit smaller in height (2) there is no sensor to detect the presence of the carafe. If you press the switch, which you can easily do by accident, the thing starts . . . perhaps it's a safety issue. I'll have to be careful.

It strikes me that a router (woodworking) and a blender are very similar machines. Certainly woodworking routers require the power and speed to chew through wood.

But woodworking routers are cheaper and have more tech in them, like "soft start", where it starts gently and then ramps up to the operating speed set point.

I think a superior blender can be made using woodworking router technology. And it should only cost $130 or so, which is what these routers cost.

2014 Jul 3
Good Lord ! Someone has beaten me to it !

www.smoked-meat.com

Quote:

As promised, I will post my blender idea.

If you have a wood working router, then you are almost there to have a high performance blender.

You can buy a new Blendtec jar, which comes with built-in blades for about $40.00

Just find a way of attaching the blade to the router.

The only thing you have to do is to sharpen the other edges of the blades because the router rotates the opposit direction, or you can do as I did, I re-wired the carbon brushes and added a DPDT switch, and the blades now can go either direction.

The end result is a blender with 2 1/2 HP and 24,000 RPM motor and very fast blade tip speed because the blades makes a 4" diameter circle.

I also use a PWM routor motor speed control to vary the speed from 0 to max.

My "Red Neck" router for about $50 is about the same as a $1,000 blender.

dcarch

i73.photobucket.com
i73.photobucket.com
i73.photobucket.com

Richtee
11-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Wow... mix, blend, liquify and DISINTEGRATE settings :lol:

--------------------------------

2014 Jul 7
Roasted Tomatillo salsa - it did a great job! Just don't hit the blast button when it is already liquified, nearly blew the top off while I was holding it! Did the whole batch on low, and it cranked. Beautiful job, no more food processor required.

Next up gazpacho!

2015 Jun 22
Update. Daughter was making a smoothy - likely a bit heavy on the ice, and not too much liquid. Broke the blades. One blade ended up impaled into the pitcher. Sent email to the seller and am waiting to see how well the 5 year warranty claims hold up.

2015 Jun 22
Just ice and liquid ? .... and I thought these fancy-pancy blenders are supposed to be able to blend iPhones.

youtu.be/qg1ckCkm8YI

2015 Jun 22
Caper, this thread is about a somewhat cheaper blender. Pretty sure my Blendtec's blades are good for life! (BTW, the Blendtec is relatively affordable at Costco these days.)

2015 Jun 23
Blendtec had a recall on it blades if I'm not mistaken.

humm . . . maybe not: www.blendtec.com

Vitamix and Bullet had blade recalls though.

But I think you can break any blade if you try hard enough.

2015 Jun 24
I broke a blade too a while back, a month or so after getting the blender, making very thick hummus . . . :-)

The seller sent me a new carafe and blade unit, but I had to pay shipping and handling.

It was the downward pointing blade that broke, and there was a gouge in the inside of the plastic carafe.

The downward pointing blade is the thinner blade.

But instead of throwing it out, I managed to fix it. If you put the tips of a needle nose pliers into the two holes in the steel ring at the bottom, you can unscrew the ring and remove the blade assembly. I removed the broken blade, put a stainless steel washer on top of the other blade to make up the thickess and re-bolted it. It seems to work better without the downward pointing blade. The vortex effect doesn't happen. It's been working that way for almost a year now. And I have the other container for backup.

2015 Jun 24
When I contacted the company it had been bought by another group (still in Ontario) last year. Blades are not under warranty, however they offered to replace blades/pitcher for $65 including delivery. I went for that. The break seems identical to what Francis experienced. Otherwise the unit is running well and gets used at least 4 times a week or more.

2015 Jun 24
Ugh . . . under new management. If the pitcher isn't badly damaged try doing what I did instead of throwing it out. Keep it as a backup.

Seems pricey. I think I paid around $30 for my shipping and handling, but I can't remember.

Vitamix charges twice as much for a new pitcher with blades though:

www.vitamix.ca/shop/Containers

2015 Jun 27
Seems like we're hearing about all the favourable areas, but not the negative. It seems to have power, but not quite as reliable as a Vitamix.

I've made tons of homemade hummus and never came close to a failure. The only time I've seen a strain in my older Vitamix 5000 is when doing ice cream or very thick slushy drinks. That's not to say it is near failing, but it is under strain and reflects that in its tone.

It's nice to find a cheaper option, but when competing with Vitamix and Blendtec, there are almost always tradeoffs. Pretty tough to beat the current Blendtec pricing and performance from Costco....

2016 Feb 13
Coming up on two years and it's still working great 100%. I make cheesecakes in it and the InstantPot. Takes me 15 min to make a cheesecake in prep time.

It also very useful for making soy and other nut milks and homogenizes them thoroughly.