Lunch in the West End [General]

2014 May 29
Hi folks!

I have a friend coming in from out of town this weekend, and I'd love to be able to take her out for lunch this weekend. I told her I'd come up with something fabulous! Not too expensive, but unique and worthwhile.

I'd like for it to be in the west end (Westboro, Bells Corners, even Wellington West works)...and to ideally spent $10-$12 a plate.

Any help would be so appreciated. :)

2014 May 29
When I have lunched in the west end (Kanata/Stittsville) I have been to Aperitivo and NeXT and have had very positive experiences.

If you are venturing into the city, I say go the extra mile and hop over the bridge to Edgar in Hull. 12 to 14 seater but her brunch is delicious. No reservations but I haven't had to wait long and her patio is now open.

I like Allium on Holland but have more dinner experience than weekend lunch experience.

Will need to check websites for hours and menus etc. Love to hear where you go.

2014 May 29
A lot of the places in Westboro are expensive. Allium is better for dinner IMHO but it's still very good and better service and food than most of the newer trendy spots on Wellington West. Closer to $15 per person. Back Lane Café is a good, sure quality spot too.

It depends if you or your friend like ethnic food. Little India Café Little India Cafe and Rice Pea Rice Pea are my favourite places in the west. Cheap and extremely authentic and tasty food!

2014 May 29
Baan Thai in Centerpointe has good lunch specials. Might want to make a reservation.

2014 May 29
Thanks, all! I'll let you all know what I decide! These are great suggestions.

2014 May 30
Anywhere on Holland or Wellington between Parkdale and Holland. But I am biased because I work in the area-;) Some of the Westboro places (and even the Welli West places) can be expensive but the benefit of dining at lunch is that the menu prices are usually a little cheaper than dinner service. I have tried and liked Pho Van Van, the Foolish Chicken, Parma Ravioli, and the Ottawa Bagel Shop. If you like vegetarian food The Table is pretty good.

2014 May 30
I ran into the same situation last weekend. Unfortunately a lot of the places I wanted to try aren't open for lunch on the weekends (The Rex, Beechbone, Town, most food trucks)
We ended up at EVOO on Preston St and had a really great lunch on their patio. You're looking at $10-$15 for a lunch plate there.
Another Preston St. suggestion is Haldi. Really great fresh indian food and friendly service.

2014 May 30
Cafe My House on Wellington has a pretty good (vegan) lunch menu. It's a little bit above your target price range, at $14-15 per plate.

To add to the Indian suggestions, there's also Aahar at Churchill and Carling. I've never actually been to the restaurant because they deliver, but I order from them fairly often and have always been happy with the food.

Edited to add: this thread is making me nostalgic for Trini Caribbean Delights. Man, I miss that place.

2014 May 30
echo the Rice Pea mention, but with a small caveat that its a small-ish place and the weekends can be quite busy between 11:30-1:30'sh. Still, worth the wait, imo - their green beans are awesomely garlic-y, the fungus + wasabi dish is unique in the city, the hot and sour is hot/sour (not cloyingly sweet) etc.

Aahar is also v. good, and being immersed in a non-ending construction project on Churchill, they could certainly use the business. Not completely certain if they're open both weekend days, might want to call ahead. Alternative to Aahar is Mia's Indian Cuisine - open and accessible (lots of parking for Westboro location): www.miaindiancuisine.com

Perhaps worth a mention -in case it falls into your "$10-$12 a plate" range- is Gezellig's "Select any 2 Plates for $20 Per Person" lunch special? www.gezelligdining.ca On the whole, Gez garners glowing reviews for food, service, ambiance, etc.

Never been myself, but Urbanspoon reviews speak favorably of the Red Sea Cafe on Holland: www.urbanspoon.com Not sure of their weekend hrs, tho.

2014 May 30
This weekend or another, lunch at Les Grillades on Holland can be an inexpensive delight. I love making an assortment of middle Eastern appetizers and enjoy what they make. Their menu:
m.lesgrillades.ca
Aahar is also a good choice.

2014 May 30
Art Is In!!

2014 May 31
If you choose Art-is-in be prepared to stand in line and wait and wait. Lunch is good, but the place is insanely crowded.

I think all of my recommendations have already been covered.