best scallops in Ottawa [General]

2014 Jan 17
What are your fave places for scallops?

I've had two recent great scallop experiences I wanted to share.

The first was at Sterling Steakhouse, the scallops were pan-fried which seems conventional but they tasted amazing. I'm wondering if it was because they were extra fresh, or perhaps there was some special technique they used to amp up the flavor.

The second scallop adventure was at the Arc Lounge. This one was creative - scallops with dates poached in root beer(!) sitting on top of an apple-bacon terrine. Awesome blend.

I've heard the Gastropub does good scallops, is this still true?

2014 Jan 18
El Meson has a very nice scallop dish on their tapas menu-I could just get 4 orders of them and be a total happy pig.

2014 Jan 19
We had a scallop ceviche at the Whalesbone a while back that was really good. Not your typical scallop dish but it was quite memorable.

Also remember a scallop dish at Play that we enjoyed. It was a few years ago so I don't remember the details.

2014 Jan 19
Petit Bills has a nice scallop dish with maple syrup dish yum yum!!

2014 Jan 20
Gastropub does brilliant scallops. Seriously tasty.

The Shore Club was doing a really excellent vanilla scallops dish. Don't know if it's still on the menu but i would try any other scallopy thing there on the strength of that.

Whalesbone's Kent street location frequently has smoked scallops available. I eat these like M&Ms... it's not how many i can eat, it's how many are available.

2014 Jan 20
Ooo, thanks for the tips everyone. I will definitely check out El Meson, been ten years since i was there. I've not tried Whalesbone Kent St, Gastropub. I'm looking forward to it! I've been to Ptit Bills once, but didn't notice scallops on the menu (though this was a year ago), I will look for them next time.

2014 Jan 20
supply and demand usually has scallop crudo. last time was with crispy chicken skin and creme fraiche

2014 Jan 21
The Wellington Gastropub has the best scallops in the city. I'd give 2nd place to Supply and Demand for their scallop crudo. And this isn't even close for me!

2014 Jan 26
I'll also put my vote in for any scallop dish at Wellington Gastropub. I've had various scallop mains there over the years, and have never been disappointed.

2014 Jan 27
Todric's has an interesting seafood platter with Baco noir poached scallop- that is served on some shredded turnip? or other vegetable that is cut in thin sticks, with some sauce on a kind of biscuit mini scone kind of thing that was made with cheddar in it.

-there was a written description when I had that dish and I'm trying to remember most of it from going back to look at their menu...which does not have the description for that anymore....

This is part of the seafood sharing plate (the menu says it is for 2, but I could eat the whole thing and still be a bit hungry for something small after).

*I used to make scallops with black tea seasoning, but someone threw out all my cooking spices when I was gone, so I'll have to try and look up the brand I had bought online.

At Supply and Demand is the scallop crudo the same thing listed on their menu as the scallop with chicken skin? or is that something else?
I was curious to try the scallop and chicken skin, but really not sure how those two go together.

2014 Jan 29
Just curious - does anyone in the city actually use/get fresh scallops? My guess is that they are all frozen, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

2014 Jan 29
sourdough I usually buy the frozen ones - and usually at Costco because I like scallops so much I like the larger bags-;)

Good question about the fresh ones. I suspect somewhere like Whalesbone, Wellington Fish or Pelican would be most likely to carry fresh never frozen scallops.

2014 Jan 29
I have purchased fresh scallops at Farm Boy on Merivale Road.

2014 Feb 11
Pelican has them fairly often. They're good about being clear whether something was previously frozen.

2014 Feb 11
The real trick is finding scallops that haven't been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP)...

A large number of places have no clue when I ask them.
When I take a chance, I usually find out that they have been treated.

2014 Feb 11
i know whalesbone sometimes carry island beach scallops (qualicum beach). i'm almost positive they have no chemicals added, they are dry packed.

2014 Feb 12
Wellington Wholesale Seafood has big beautiful scallops that do not have sodium tripolyphosphate (STP)or any other shite. Truly fine restaurant grade.

At least they did a year ago when I got some. They did not ooze any of that tell tale white froth when I seared them.

A bit pricey though.

2014 Feb 12
I agree with Captain Caper. When Wellington Wholesale seafood had "dayboat scallops" on offer, they are incredible. Sweet, meaty and no milky discharge. Perfection.

2014 Feb 12
Another vote for Wellington Wholesale Seafood. I'm picky about my scallops and theirs are divine! :)

2014 Feb 23
Independent has some frozen scallops and shrimp with nothing added.

Pelican used to sell shrimp that had no chemicals added, but recently went there a few times and now all their frozen shrimp had phosphates in it.
So, I no longer buy shrimp there and used to every week almost.

I haven't asked about the scallops at Pelican lately,but assuming they are most likely with preservatives...seeing as their shrimp is and the people at the store told me they had some shrimp w no preservatives and was surprized I could not find any....

I know this post is about Scallops, but I will check out Wellington Seafood, sounds like a good place....

I used to make pan fried scallops with black tea seasoning, tossed with red and yellow pepper strips and it is tasty!
-havent done that lately, as I don't feel like having seafood...