Jerusalem artichokes [General]

2013 Oct 29
has anyone seen these for sale? I was at farmboy about a month ago and they didn't have any, but haven't been there lately.
last year I tried these for the first time and loved the flavor. slightly sweeter than mashed potato. although they say they grow like weeds, they are about the only weed that didn't grow in the garden.

2013 Oct 29
Hi solstice,

My mom grows them since it is suppose to be good for diabetics. I also had a very nice jerusalem artichoke soup in Paris and found a couple of recipes I would like to try.

I used to find them and Belfest Fruit and vegetables before they go under. If you want some for seeds to plant now, I can probably give you some. But it needs a clear patch since they are very aggressive, almost choking my mom's day lilys. Also they get quite tall, about 6 ft.

2013 Oct 29
We have a backyard full of them. They are good to harvest after the frost, will be digging some up soon!

2013 Oct 29
solstice I saw them at Produce Depot on Carling a couple of weeks ago.

2013 Oct 29
Try slices of them in risotto.

2013 Oct 29
Saw them at both Produce Depot and Rainbow Foods this week.

2013 Oct 29
herb and spice too i think carry them

2013 Oct 30
I harvested some for my Mom already in an area they are choking some of the berries so I can turn of the soil and improve it.

chimichi, how do you store it? I tried cleaning them and some turned very soft and black.

2013 Oct 30
FoodTravel I'm not chimi but I usually store my jerusalem artichokes in a paper bag like mushrooms. I usually place them in the fridge this way.

2013 Oct 31
Paper bag, or wrapped in paper towel in an open plastic bag or ziploc.

If they have turned black, they were probably past their prime in the ground.

2013 Oct 31
Could it store for the winter season in garage? Or should I leave some in the ground to harvest in the winter or spring?

2013 Oct 31
You can overwinter jerusalem artichokes, they multiply like crazy so I wouldn't worry about them regrowing unless you really tore up the ground and removed all of them!

2013 Nov 3
I did it for the section around the berries since they are chocking the berries like they did for another patch with day lilies last it.

There is another patch which my Mom seem to have designated for JA. Only some chives, garlic and onion around there.

2013 Nov 3
thank you for the response.
i was in Ottawa yesterday and picked some up at produce depot by bank. great store.

2013 Nov 7
I've seen them at a couple of the larger Loblaws' in the area, particularly the one at Richmond and Kirkwood and the one at Baseline and Merivale.