Cheap Sous Vide Revisited [General]

2013 Oct 12
$199. Now this is getting reasonable. I knew prices would come down.

www.sousvides.com

When we looked at this a couple of years back it was $1500.

2013 Oct 12
The new version of the Instant Pot coming out in a few months is supposed to have a Sous Vide mode

2013 Oct 12
Hey Zym,

Why don't you carry these? They are looking for distributors.

2013 Oct 13
I backed nomiku on kickstarter for $299.

www.nomiku.com

It arrived this week and I'm going to do a few root vegetables for Thanksgiving dinner today. I'll let you know how things turn out!

2013 Oct 13
Francis, sous vide is not something I can get behind as I just don't see the point of it. So it is not something I'd be interested in selling. Plus it is not coffee related.

2013 Oct 19
Didn't you know about sous vide coffee ?

2013 Oct 19
ToeKnee, vegetables require higher temperatures to cook - but you can sterilize them at sous vide temperatures and they would be still be crisp like raw.

I did some pulled pork sous vide recently - a pork shoulder at 62C for 48 hours.

The results were awesome !

2013 Oct 19
I am under the impression that pulled pork is done low and slow with smoke. Maybe my definition is too narrow.

Not all that familiar with sous vide but I do know how I like my pulled pork.

How does one get the 'bark' exteriour and the true bbq flavours of pulled pork using sous vide ?

2013 Oct 19
@captain you would have to sear it with a butane torch. But it's still good without the searing; the meat comes apart in strings, and it has a lot of flavor. Anything over 60C breaks down collagen.

Some people say brine the pork shoulder with liquid smoke first. I will try that next time.

This time I just bagged the pork shoulder with a packet of instant french onion soup and 48 hours later it was done. Sous vide really locks in flavors.

Check this page: www.citizensousvide.com

2013 Oct 19
Honestly? Sous vide coffee seems needlessly complicated. Our shtick has always been "great coffee doesn't have to be complicated". ;)

So, while it might be fun to play around with a bit from a personal geekery POV, I can't see it ever being anything we would recommend to our customers enough to carry the gear. ;)

2013 Oct 19
@refashionista . . . . gotcha. LOL (sous vide coffee ?)

2013 Oct 19
Francis, I did carrots, beets, turnip, and butternut squash and all turned out great at 184F. I really appreciated being able to prep everything in advance, seal the veggies up with other ingredients, drop them into the bath at different times of the afternoon, and then pull them out all at the same time when the turkey was ready.

2013 Oct 20
Google it, Francis. People have been experimenting.. I honestly fail to see how it could brew a decent cup, though. ;)

humblingattempts.blogspot.ca

2013 Oct 20
ToeKnee, how long did you sous vide the vegetables for?

2013 Oct 20
All had some kind of fat + seasoning added.

Butternut squash + apples + onion for 2 hours, then pureed into soup with some cream
Halved carrots for 1 hour
Beet wedges for 45 mins
Thinly sliced turnip for 20 mins

There are lots of websites / cookbooks dedicated to sous vide recipes and cooking times / temperatures. I drew from a whole bunch of different resources to pick the preparation and cooking time. 183F seems to be the minimum temp that the pectin breaks down and then it's just a matter of figuring out how long it should stay at that given the vegetable and cut (and desired tenderness.)

2013 Oct 28
Sous vide pork shoulder and pulled pork aren't the same thing, even if you brine the thing in liquid smoke and then scorch it with a blowtorch. The thought of that actually made me shiver,

Pulled pork is done on a smoker with wood smoke, not in a bag dunked under water for 2 days.

2013 Oct 28
Thank you Stuart S, thank you.

(What next .... a sous vide weenie roast ? torch a hotdog, sous vide then slide onto a stick ?)

2013 Oct 28
here's my combo recipe for some of the tastiest pulled pork you will ever eat.

I use a Pork Butt Roast and smoke it on my BGE for 2 hours and that creates a nice smoky flavor and creates the "Bark" that we all love - then I bag it and it sits in my sous vide for 24hrs at 81 degrees.

there's no need to sear it off after it simply, pulls apart with a fork and is incredibly moist with amazing flavor.

just my thoughts.

2013 Oct 31
4brrlcarb, I like that you at least use the BGE to start it, but bagging it will take away any bark you produce in 2 hours because the moisture softens it back up in the bag.

My method for pulled pork is similar to yours, I put a pork butt covered in rub on my Weber Smokey Mountain with Maple Leaf brand briquettes, sugar maple and apple wood chunks. I then leave it on there for 16 hours at 225. When it hits about 195 degrees internal temp I start to poke it to see if its soft and when I can jab the blunt end of a wooden skewer into it with no resistance, I take it if and rest it in a cooler for an hour, then I eat it.

It's sorta the same as sous vide, I guess, the only difference is that my way of doing it is actually BBQ.

2013 Oct 31
Btw, mine is moist pulls very easily with a fork when it's done too. In fact, they usually break apart when I try to take them off the cooker.