ice cube recipe [Recipes]

2013 Sep 13
This has been a favourite of ours for quite a while. The comments are priceless. I need to put a link to this on my website for reasons not to use ice in favour of DrinkPucks. Making ice cubes is hard.

www.food.com

2013 Sep 19
There is an art to making clear ice . . . :-) really.

2013 Sep 19
Oh, for sure there is. One of the gimmicky silicone ice cube thingies I've seen online has an insulated tall cube that seems to work. The insulation on it forces it to freeze from the top down and that pushes the impurities or bubbles or whatever down as it freezes. The top half or so is clear and you just chip the unwanted bottom part off and use that for chipped/shaved ice.

So they say.

2013 Sep 20
Some of the comments are priceless! I wasted a good amount of time reading some of them!

2013 Sep 22
Francis, when are you going to share the art of making clear ice? Enquiring minds want to know. ;-)

2013 Sep 24
To echo organicgirl, I'm curious too! Francis, please do tell?

2013 Sep 25
Kevin Liu seems to know his ice:

drinks.seriouseats.com

"...the clearest ice is ice that freezes slowly and without supercooling—that is, ice that forms right at 0°C"

He offers three methods to accomplish this.

2013 Sep 26
Nice. I know if I fill a thermos with water in a put it in the freezer it freezes slowly and clear (uncapped of course).

2013 Sep 26
Try putting it in a hot air popper.

2013 Sep 27
Ryzak, if I use your hot air popper method to make clear ice, do I need to plug in the popper before I put it into the freezer?
;-)

2013 Sep 27
Check yo self... to make an Ice Cube with character, it must come from Compton.

2013 Oct 18
Tupperware + insulating wrap = clear ice

2013 Oct 19
You can make a large ice lens by freezing clear ice in two concave bowls and putting the two halves together. It focuses enough light for starting fires, on a clear day.

www.primitiveways.com

2013 Oct 19
Oh cool I want to try that at Cubs winter camp this year!

2013 Oct 19
Make a big one and you can probably melt metal. I think you can even vaporize a diamond (not that you'd want to) with a large lens.