Wild food foraging [General]

2013 Apr 8
I've been reading about people on the forum who forage for wild items like garlic, fiddleheads, mushrooms etc for a few years. I've always wanted to try my hand at this activity, but I'm not sure what to look for, or where to look for it.

Would anyone in the west end who forages for food be willing to take me on as an apprentice this spring? I'd be happy to repay you with home made bacon, BBQ or other food items I'm good at making.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for someone to show me their special spots and have competition for their resources, just to get me pointed in the right direction :)

2013 Apr 8
You could get in touch with the Lanark Wild Food Club.

www.huntfishgather.com

Remainder of 2013 schedule:

May 4 - Hilary Barrett - Leeks
May 18 - Carol McGrath - Edibles and Medicinals
June 23 - Erik Kafrissen - Edible wilds
July 27 - Peter Fischl - Aquatics and Fishing
Aug 24 - Tony Durant - Reading the woods
Sept 21 - Peter Fischl - Old growth trees and edibles
Oct - Ted Mosquin - Honey Mushrooms

2013 Apr 8
I thought an OF mentioned not long ago that he can do a session the next mushroom season?

Chimichimi perhaps?

I would be interested too. Had been on a few hikes in Europe with friends who are experienced mushroom foragers and in France you can the the 'rooms into Pharmacies to be indentified (or at least you used to be able to).

2013 Apr 8
Stuart, I can get you pointed in the right direction, for sure, check your DMs. I won't be doing any tours this spring as it stands - I am fully committed to a couple of special foraging themed events so stay tuned! I may throw something in the summer when things calm down a bit...

2013 Apr 8
Chimichimi,

Would be interested in pointers inthe right direction too please.

Found my small cache of dried Morel from France but it would not last long.

2013 Apr 9
I have sent you both DMs, and really, anyone interested in this please don't hesitate to contact me, I can help guide you in the right direction. I wish I could endorse the Lanark Wild Edibles group, though I do know they are helpful with Scouts, Guides, etc - definitely something to check out.

2013 Apr 10
Lady named Martha Weber out on March road does a 6 week wild edibles course each spring. Meet every Wednesday evening, hike around, eat what you've foraged each night. She's very knowledgeable, has hard science background, can set you on the right track in terms of learning how to look for identifying features in leaves & flowers that are used in making successful correct ID's. Her web site is dandelionjam.com.

2013 Apr 22
Jane's Walk will be including a session on Urban Foraging on May 4th: www.janeswalkottawa.ca

2013 Apr 25
The CBC noon hour show Ontario Today did a story today on foraging: www.cbc.ca

2013 Apr 27
Thanks for the Jane's Walk info; I've been wanting to learn to identify leeks, nettles, fiddle heads, etc. as well!

2013 Apr 27
A Q&A with Chef Matthew Brearley of Castlegarth Restaurant on his upcoming foraging dinners:
www.ottawamagazine.com

"There are few tables left for the May 24 dinner but a second night will likely be scheduled on June 7. To reserve contact: Castlegarth Restaurant & Food Shop, 90 Burnstown Rd., White Lake, 613-623-3472.

...also Chef Brearley and Scott Perrie are doing a foraging dinner in Ottawa called “Into the Wild” at Urban Element on June 3. To book, visit urban element’s website www.theurbanelement.ca , find the event in their calendar, and reserve online."

2013 Apr 29
Picked my first wild leeks on Saturday and these lovely exploding maple buds yesterday. Let the harvesting begin. :) lb

2013 Apr 29
So Stuart S, if you are still looking to go foraging I will be heading out the next sunny day we get here in Ottawa, and you could join me if you want. :) Let me know. lb

2013 Apr 30
AMR - I have partnered with Matt Brearley for those events! We are really excited and are looking forward to hosting a fun and tasty evening of wild foods.

Also, since being interviewed for that article, I moved out into Lanark County. The reality is, organizing urban foraging tours in Ottawa will take too much time for me. I am now working with land owners to help them identify wild edibles, partnering with chefs to do themed dinners and plan on volunteering with the Field Naturalists society in Mississippi Mills. I have a big project planned, working with farmers, chefs and foragers... stay tuned :)

2013 Apr 30
LarryB,

If you are willing to take more people and go out in the next week and half, I would be interested.

2013 Apr 30
What do you do with exploding maple buds? Not that I would have any since the squirrels on Acorn Crescent (this really is my address) devour my maple buds. I knew they had tohave been tasty! The oak buds won't be out for a month so squirrels must dine on maple first.

2013 May 2
Field Naturalists Society = You go foraging in the nude?

2013 May 2
Momo - you've "exposed" me and my special technique for finding "mushrooms".

2013 May 2
Thrashing around in the "underbrush" and "revealing" "black trumpets"?

2013 May 2
Yes, indeed! Lots of bushwhacking!

2013 May 2
Wild mushroom gnudi... :O