Lasagna- bechamel, ricotta or cottage cheese? [General]

2013 Jan 20
Just doing an informal survey to see what most prefer. I'm starting to think that bechamel is my favourite.

2013 Jan 20
Quark :-)

2013 Jan 21
Lasagna bolognese with bechamel. Hands down. Only a little parm sprinkled between layers.

2013 Jan 21
Cottage cheese with heavy cream and a bit of cornstarch - seasoned like a normal bechamel.

Basically a no-cook version... most people can't tell the difference(except for the cottage cheese which is less gritty)

2013 Jan 21
Ricotta; although cottage cheese is preferable to no cheese at all between the layers. A lasagna with only cheese on top does not taste balanced to me.

2013 Jan 21
I usually do ricotta, with egg to help bind. I use a *lot* of mozz - we like it cheesy. I don't make a proper bolognese, though, just my usual seasoned tomato sauce, and the ground meat is in another layer. And for us, always with whole wheat lasagna noodles, and I don't precook them :-)

2013 Jan 21
Feel free to to thumbs down this one due to it's non-traditonal suggestion.

I made a spicy italian sausage lasagna last winter and used a Marscapone/mozzerella blend... Can't remember why I did this, but it was well recieved.

2013 Jan 21
Ricotta. I save the bechamel for my moussaka. All with that sauce...

2013 Jan 21
My favorite was the time I blended my ricotta with goat cheese. Mmmm... All this lasagna talk is reminding me that I don't make it nearly often as much as I should. ;)

2013 Jan 21
refashionista - lots of lasagne noodles in the noodle drawer and lots of beef in the freezer ... just sayin' :-)

2013 Jan 21
I actually use the Western brand cottage cheese, which is probably ricotta. It is reasonably low in fat and isn't made in curds. It's soft and spreadable. I mix that with a thin throw of mozza when doing the cheese layers and then more mozza on top.

Groceries tomorrow will definitely include all ingredients necessary to repeat this masterpiece.

Damn it.

Now the Dragonlady has gotten wind of this and asked me to make several half-sized lasagnas that we can freeze. Okay, not the worst idea.

2013 Jan 21
Zym, can't you cook? Just wondering???

2013 Jan 21
Béchamel, definitely, layered with ricotta AND mascarpone. Lots. Granny said it balances the acidity of the tomatoes. Myra Breckinridge Cook Book - 1968 - Gang Bang Lasagna. The gold standard.

2013 Jan 21
I prefer ricotta but sometimes to keep it healthier with the whole wheat lasgne noodle I use fat free cottage cheese. They are mixed with egg, spinach, mozz and parm.

2013 Jan 22
While we're at it, fresh noodles or dry? I really don't care for the dry noodles at all, and tend to get the fresh sheets from Parma Ravioli. :)

2013 Jan 22
Oh I do lots of cooking around here - but we each have our specialites and that one is not mine

2013 Jan 22
Ricotta, Like momomoto I save the bechamel for my moussaka and patistio.

2013 Jan 22
Seems like the bechamel lovers are in the minority. I should have mentioned that I add a huge handful of Parmesan over each bechamel layer. I love the goat cheese and mascarpone idea though. Yum!

2013 Jan 23
I've used both and favour ricotta just a bit more.
Sometimes I have made a layer of small meatballs (cherry size). Instead of milk soaked white bread for binder I use red wine soaked bread. Add any other herbs you like.
I usually bake the meatballs. 350' oven I think around 10 minutes, but check for doneness.
I've also made the lasagna with a layer of mushrooms. that was very tasty.
to make it a little more healthy I put spinach after each layer.
mm now I'm hungry for lasagna

2013 Jan 29
Meat lasagna?

www.qwantz.com