escargot [General]

2013 Jan 3
Can anyone give me any helpful hints on escargot, where to get them, how to cook them etc. I want to make a nice meal for my SO and she loves escargot. I have never attempted to cook them and am a little nervous lol

2013 Jan 3
Lucky13 When you refer to cooking escargots are you thinking of buying fresh ones? If so I would call Whalesbone or Pelican Fish first to ask if they carry them. They might also advise you how to prepare them. To give you an idea, a quick google search led me to the following recipe for fresh escargots: www.ehow.com

I've only had them out of a can and serve them in escargot dishes like the ones pictured on the right. I sauté the escargots in a little garlic butter then put some butter/escargot mixture in each compression. I top each escargot with a little brie then pop the dish under the broiler until the cheese melts. HTH.

2013 Jan 3
Ok, cook them fresh, buy directly from the supplier ie pelican, laPointe or walesbone. The healthier way of peparing them is simply sauteeing 1 dz. of them in 1 tbsp. olive oil with 1/2 tsp chilies and tsp garlic, deglaze with white wine, add a tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of capers, 1 tsp of fresh tarragon, and then mounte au beurre with 1 tsp of organic butter, season ToTaste with sea salt and paprika, ts quite a similar variation to a bernaise sauce without all the eqq yolks and clarified butter.....bon appetite! Check out my chef-food blog for more tips and recipes...www.chefjrscott.tumblr.com

Happy Cooking!

Chef Justin Scott
Kudos Cisine-Holistic Personal Chef & Caterig Servie
kudoscuisine@gmail.com

2013 Jan 3
Thanks Pasta Lover and Chef Justin! I will give laPointe and Walesbone a call tomorrow to see if they have any fresh ones. If they dont have fresh ones, are canned ones or frozen ones better?

2013 Jan 4
Most people (and most restaurants) use canned ones. (Actually, I don't thing I've ever had fresh ones.) So maybe, for a first experience preparing escargot, start with canned ones and see if your SO is happy with those?

The most important thing to remember when preparing canned escargot is: they are already cooked! So you only want to warm them up gently in whatever sauce you are using. Garlic butter is classic, but a tomato sauce with lots of garlic and herbs is great too. Serve with good bread to dip in the sauce.

Once you've prepared canned escargot, you'll see how fast and easy it is to get results better than most restaurants. They're something you can fix in 10 minutes for a weekday dinner.

2013 Jan 4
If you use canned ones, make sure to rinse under cold water. Some may have some sand stuck in them....

2013 Jan 4
As a child, my Dad, a chef made me some escargots. I had to dig them out of the shell!

I've never known, but I am presuming he cooked them before and finished them up inside the shell in the oven.

I had never seen them done like that until I went to Paris in 2008. I was so excited.

I always see them served out of the shell with garlic butter and cheese all over them (rather boring). I do like Chef Justin's recipe suggestion.

2013 Jan 4
Somehow my single snail in my aquarium reproduced. It's the type that wasn't supposed to do that!! So i have about 50 juvenile snails just crawling around... I wonder if they are edible... doesn't get any fresher than that!

2013 Jan 4
I'm pretty sure that fresh snails just don't exist. Even the restaurants use canned. Most large grocery stores (e.g. Loblaws, Metro) will stock escargot, over where the canned fish and shellfish are.

I poach them in white wine for about ten minutes, and then slather them in garlic butter, lemon, and tabasco, top with a bit of cheese, and then broil until the cheese is how you like it.

This is the best way to see me eat an entire loaf of bread in one sitting.

2013 Jan 5
Thanks Momo. I was wondering how I could see that.

2013 Jan 8
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I ended up getting the canned ones. After rinsing them I prepared them with a garlic butter, white wine sauce and lots of bread to sop up the sauce. SO was very happy with them, and next time I will get more adventurous and try Chef Justin's recipe!

2013 Feb 17
Some places in SE Asia you can see live snail in shell on some vegetations and walls.

In France you can easily get them frozen already with garlic butter or in cans.

I have only bought them in cans in Canada but have not been looking that far for them.