Romanian or Hungarian Food? [General]

2012 Sep 10
Are there any restaurants in the area that serve Hungarian or Romanian food? I remember a place called the Hungarian Village, but it closed years ago. And new Dubrovnik had one or two dishes, but I'm looking for some serious options and don't feel like having to drive to Montreal to get it.

2012 Sep 10
Right on another foodie who loves that east block cuisine. I've been looking for awhile and am having the same problem. One or two dishes at each restaurant and that's about it. Lately I've been going to maximillians in Perth, they make a pretty good goulash as well as sauerbraten. Keep us posted if you find a place.

2012 Sep 10
"... Amber Garden and Dalmacia Restaurant dedicated to the culinary traditions of the people on the ancient European amber route which extended from the Mediterranean to the rich amber deposits of the Baltic Sea.

Savor the cooking of the Balkan Peninsula, Hungary, Bohemia, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, and other nations as you retrace today those famous steps."

www.ambergarden.net/

Amber Garden and Dalmacia

2012 Sep 10
I have passed Dalmacia and wondered about it--anyone tried it recently?

2012 Sep 11
Mark - not eaten there in the last 18 months, but i'd guess it will taste today very similar to my last visit - a restaurant that doesn't really care much about trends nor waver from what it does well (heretics: they probably don't even read OF!). In sum, good perogies, tasty fish, excellent vodka, timeless booths. Ok prices, good service.

ECK: re. "serious options" for Romanian or Hungarian - perhaps call the respective embassy, or visit their website?

Romania's website is next to useless, but at least there's a couple phone numbers listed (1, 2 and 3!): ampli2de.com

Hungary's includes a reference to a "music to dine" - in April: www.mfa.gov.hu - perhaps more of the same upcoming.

embassies are an under-estimated/utilized connection to Ottawa's best food.

2012 Sep 12
Amber Garden and Dalmacia offer one or two stalwarts, eg goulash, but nothing to write home about. It's hard to be really good when the resto claims to cover all of the Balkan peninsula, whose cooking is as varied as the languages. Romanian food, for example, does not include perogies or the giant cabbage rolls of the Ukraine.

Itchy - great suggestion about the embassies. I have tried asking colleagues of Romanian and Hungarian origin, but they cook "ethnic" at home and look for other cuisines when dining out. Embassies may be a better lead.

Tks

2012 Sep 12
A friend tolde that Amber Garden appeared to be closed the last time they had sushi at 1000 islands... Anyone else seen the same thing?