If you only had eight gelato flavours to choose from... [General]

2012 Sep 8
In November I am hitting the road, first for a "how to make gelato course" and then to spend time in some restuarants in Little Italy, NYC talking and learning. Once we get open I don't intend to make a huge selection of gelatos. Rather, I imagine making eight but concentrating on doing those eight really well (this is the underlying philosophy of everything I am trying to do).

The Pareto Principle suggests that 80% of gelato sales (translation -- favourite flavours) are from 20% of flavours.

What are the 20%? What are the most popular gelato flavours? Or, what is the ONE falvour that YOU have to see in the cooler or you will be dissapointed?

2012 Sep 8
Sounds like a great November.

Personally, I love the light, tastebud-popping favours of fruit. Pucker-y citrus, subtle melons, and mmm-mango!

My non-fruit fave by far is chocolate hazelnut, known as baccio at Piccolo.

2012 Sep 8
Lemon
Raspberry, when they are in season
Pistachio

2012 Sep 8
Among my favourites:

- Gianduja
- Cinnamon
- Plum
- Pistachio

2012 Sep 8
- coconut
- gianduja
- blood orange
- chocolate orange
- pistachio
- stracciatella

2012 Sep 9
I think you've got to cover the fruity, tangier flavours as well as the flavours for the sweet tooth. This would be my 8:

raspberry
lemon
coconut
strawberry

hazelnut
chocolate
caramel
peanut butter

2012 Sep 9
citrus (lemon/lime)
lemon

hazelnut
cinnamon

2012 Sep 9
I've never taken the time too try gelato.
May The Flying Spaghetti Monster, in its infinite wisdom, have mercy upon my soul.

2012 Sep 10
REAL pistachio
Sanguinella/blood orange
Straciatella
Giandujia

2012 Sep 10
Straciatella
Pignoli

That is all...

2012 Sep 10
Lemon

My advice is to not overlook all the Ottawa talent here in the city. Why don't you talk to some of the indy gelato shops in town to get an idea of what works and what doesn't work in Ottawa. The owners of Stella Luna and Gelatini have both trained extensively and spent time in Italy perfecting their gelato making skills. They use excellent ingredients and keep it simple. I think you can learn a lot more of what Ottawa likes/needs/wants, by talking to Ottawa business owners, than you will in Toronto or NYC.

2012 Sep 14
Rizak... I have a FSM on the back of my car...

Here are the initial 8 flavours I am working to perfect:

Milk chocolate (Cioccolato – cho-koh-LAH-toh)
Milk chocolate and hazelnut (Gianduja – jahn-DOO-yah)
Pistachio (Pistachio -- pee-STAHK-yoh)
Vanilla (Vaniglia – Vahn-EEG-lia)
Lemon (Limone – lee-MOH-nay)
Raspberry (Lampone – lahm-POH-nay)
Mango (Mango – MAHN-goh)
Saskatoon Berry (Saskatoon Bacca – Sahs-kah-toon-BAH-ka)

The last is really out of loyalty to my life's home, Saskatoon, before moving to Ottawa. That and it's in the Saskatchewan constitution, you have to love the Roughriders and Saskatoon Berries or we ask you to leave.

2012 Sep 14
"Saskatoon Berry (Saskatoon Bacca – Sahs-kah-toon-BAH-ka)

The last is really out of loyalty to my life's home, Saskatoon, before moving to Ottawa. That and it's in the Saskatchewan constitution, you have to love the Roughriders and Saskatoon Berries or we ask you to leave."

I think it's embeded in our DNA and btw it's not a service berry, people :P

2012 Sep 14
saskatoon berry could be interesting - cassis makes good gelato so saskatoon berry should too.

2012 Sep 19
Grapefruit!
Any of the melon varieties
Lemon
Other tropical fruit, like mango, papaya...

It's all about the refreshment for me :)

2012 Sep 19
1. Pistachio
2. Chocolate/Hazelnut
3. Blackcurrant
4. Blackberry
5. Raspberry
6. Chocolate
7. Pistachio
8. Pistachio
and more Pistachio

2012 Sep 19
Hazelnut
Stratiachella
Coffee (capuccino)
Mango

These are all i really look for as a rule.