Looking for adequate Chinese [General]

2012 Aug 23
Going to dinner with two non-adventurous companions, one very fussy husband and an old friend.

Anyone suggest a reasonable Chinese-Canadian place? No buffets. I like authenticity, but it really isn't an issue (or desirable) with my companions.

Thanks!!

2012 Aug 23
Mekong on Somerset.
Utterly safe, does all the deep fried and heavily sauced dishes we know and love and China has never heard of.
A bit pricey but quality wise head + shoulders > most 'canadian-chinese' places in the city. Call ahead for a rez thurs-sun.
Also, their peanut-butter dumplings are pure awesome.

2012 Aug 23
I'm curious to hear the replies to this. Our favourite Chinese and Canadian-Chinese restaurants have changed over the years, to the point where we just don't know where to go anymore.

In the meantime, enjoy this interesting article my wife just sent to me, entitled "How to find a good Chinese restaurant – from a man who’s eaten in more than 6,000": www.theglobeandmail.com

2012 Aug 23
Mekong was on my list! Reviews on Beijing Legend look okay .... but I don't have any first hand experience of the place.

Neat article. I'd love to see the spreadsheets.

2012 Aug 23
I love Mekong too, but I am also one of those who enjoy Golden Palace for their (world famous?) eggrolls and I also like their soo guy. It is not much in terms of atmosphere, and service will be so fast that you won't be spending a leisurely evening, but if you want predictable stuff on the menu, and the ability to order cocktails right out of the 1950s it's not a bad choice.

2012 Aug 23
I've never understood the allure of the Golden Palace eggroll. Their okay, but
i don't get the thrill everybody else does. :)

2012 Aug 24
My family and I are partial to Sea King on Merivale.

Being Chinese, we're somewhat at a loss to find really great Chinese restos in Ottawa.

I've also found Peach Gardens on Baseline to be adequate, although I haven't been in quite some time.

2012 Aug 24
We like So Good on Somerset. They seem to have a nice balance of Canaddian Chinese and something more authentic. Their veggie spring rolls, pepper salt tofu, Wu Se Chicken and pot stickers are all great!

2012 Aug 24
I second SO GOOD, the only 'problem' being the menu is massive and unless you know what to order the non-can/chi stuff is a bit of a minefield for the fussy. I've never had a bad meal there tho'.

I think that GOLDEN PALACE's eggrolls do live up to the hype but everything else is 'ok', not great.

'Sea King' reco noted - i've been meaning to try that place.

2012 Aug 24
I really don't get all the hype around So Good. I've been there multiple times with co-workers and every time it ranges from so bad to so mediocre. It's greasy and flavourless.

2012 Aug 24
WOW! Snoopy Loopy, what are you ordering? Genuinely curious as to why you have found it so disappointing!

2012 Aug 25
I have ordered from the lunch specials, the normal menu and off menu. I really tried to like this place since everyone at my work loves it so much, but I found it to be lacking.

2012 Aug 25
If you know where these are being served, you are on the right track.

2012 Aug 25
And maybe a little bit of this...

2012 Aug 25
And summa this...

2012 Aug 25
Get your butts to Rice Pea. End of conversation.

2012 Aug 25
HAHAHA Chimi....I was just there Thursday!!!!! I know exactly where that is...shhhh

2012 Aug 31
I've been pretty impressed with the quality at "the fortune express" on Hazledean in Kanata, although I've only been a few times. It's not buffet with the typical canadian/chinese selections and combo plates.

On Somerset, my favorite place is Yang Sheng on corner of bronson and Laurier, more of an authentic Chinese place I suppose, although I wouldn't really know cause I've never been to China. Maybe not recommended for your fussy companions but worth a try if venturing out with more adventurous palates.

2012 Sep 4
Chopper - if you're in Kanata, you might want to try the Rideau Restaurant on Eagleson, its on the west side of Eagleson about halfway between Hazeldean Mall and Fernbank, there's a gas station, (very) small car dealer, an auto detailer and some other businesses in the strip mall.

The food is very good...it seems to be the go-to place for asians living in Kanta.