Edible flowers [General]

2012 Aug 15
Anyone know where one can get fresh edible flowers in Ottawa? was recently in Vancouver and found these bing sold in a farmers market. A small box of mixed edible flowers, size of the box they sell berries in going for $5. Was great mexed in with the salad we made. Added a lot of color and flavours.

2012 Aug 15
Acorn Creek Garden Farm – You can also find them at the Carp Farmer’s Market and buy year-round at the farm, www.acorncreek.com/

2012 Aug 15
You can sometimes find them at Herb and Spice and Rainbow Foods. Otherwise, nasturtiums are growing in people's gardens right now!

2012 Aug 15
The issue with eating plants out of 'peoples’ gardens is that flowers bought from the average nursery have been treated with non- food grade chemicals and such. I would only eat flowers provided by a grower who knows that they are fit for human consumption and not purely ornamental.

2012 Aug 15
+1 for Acorn Creek Farms. They also have a stall at the Ottawa Farmers Market at Brewer Park. You can occasionally find them at the Byward Fruit Market.

2012 Aug 15
Oh to clarify, I wasn't recommending that they obtain nasturtiums from sources where unknown/unspecified amounts of fertilizer or herb/pesticide have been used. That's, hopefully, common sense. My intent was to let people know that nasturtiums are in bloom right now!

2012 Aug 15
Thanks to all who replied. I just contacted the Acorn Creek farm and am picking up some tomorrow.

2012 Aug 15
Chimi, I didn't think that you recommended that persay, but it's good a point for someone new to edible flowers.

2012 Aug 15
No prob! Fyi, Andy Terauds runs a great operation at Acorn Creek. Lots of great produce there, and sometimes they sell wild mushrooms foraged from their property!

2012 Aug 16
Ohhhh man, wish I was in town more often. I have been using edible flowers such as roses, day lilies, rose of sharon, daisies, lavender, and various blossoms from my herbs in my salad all summer long.My favourites are the yellow day lilies which taste a little like a combo of yellow crooked neck squash and a melon. The roses and rose of sharon are still going strong and there are a few orange lilies left but the yellow ones and the lavender are all done. Need to plant more lettuce though as ours is starting to get bitter. Drying the rose petals and rose of sharon for later use.
If I come into town one day for a 'fun trip' and can get them some rose of sharon to you quick I will try but they don't last long so you would have to use them up that day.

2014 May 15
Hi! We're selling both fresh and crystallized edible flowers at the Ottawa Farmer's Market this year, Westboro location - all sorts of varieties! Hope to see you there and try some free samples!

twitter.com/FreshFlowerGal

twitter.com/sugaredFlowers

2014 May 15
They look awesome! What a great idea.

2014 May 20
I bought some of their edible flowers them when they were at the Sunday Ottawa Farmers Market last year or the year before. We used them for cocktails and they really jazzed up the presentation. Glad to see they're back.