Apples [General]

2007 Aug 19
I seem to remember a while ago that someone was asking for advice about what apple to use for a recipe - so anyway, I picked up my FAVE mag cooking today (Fine Cooking) and they had an article on "picking the right apple for the job" - so I thought I'd share with you all as we head towards fall (it's still summer right *sob*):

APPLES THAT HOLD THEIR SHAPE

Braeburn - On the sweet sde with a great texture - soft but still holds its shape when cooked or baked.

Golden Delicious - Holds its shape fairly well but gets a bit mushy. Though very juicy, its flavour lacks complexity. The more yellow the fruit, the sweeter and softer it is

Rome - Softens but hold its shape nicely. Quite juicy, with a complex sweet-tart flavor. Its round shape makes it a popular choice for baked apples.

Granny Smith - Holds its shape fairly well. Flavour is not as appley as others (and too tart for some), but fine when teamed with a ore perfumy apple. Paler green fruit is usually riper and sweeeter.

APPLES THAT SOFTEN:

Empire - Fairly juicy, tart, and perfumy. Empire is a super-crisp eating apple that tastes similar to a McIntosh

McIntosh - Practically purees itself when cooked. Sweet with a pretty pink hue. Great in applesauce and preserves.

Cortland - Good complex flavour with well-rounded sweetness. Makes a great fruit salad because its very white flesh is slow to brown.

Macoun - Not very juicy but a nice pink colour and great flavour. Great to add to pie.

APPLES TO AVOID IN COOKING:

Red Delicious - Save this one for the lunchbox as it's flavourless when cooked.

Fuji - A relative newcomer, popular Fuji is sweet and juicy raw. In a pie or tart, however, it tastes like reconstituted dried apples.

BEST. MAGAZINE. EVER.

2007 Aug 20
Actually the hands-down best general cooking apple is the Northern Spy, which is hard to get outside of farmer's markets. Also the Russet, even more rare is good for specialty cooking. It has a sweeter/more interesting flavour, but doesn't have as nice a texture. I worked several years as a youngling on a successfull apple orchard in Bowmanville...

And I agree, the Cortland is one of the best salad apples. Good find HOT!

2007 Aug 20
Nope, hands-down best cooking apple is the Gravenstein but good luck finding it anywhere in Ontario. Most of the farmers I've talked to have never even heard of it.

2007 Aug 26
Mutsu/Crispins also make for great cooking apples. And fantastic flavour.

2007 Aug 27
The British member of my household vouches for Cox's Orange Pippin and Bramleys, two varieties that we've been able to find right here through Harvest Moon Orchard in Carp (www.harvestmoonorchard.ca/). They are extremely tart apples, not really suitable for snacking but killer when baked into pies and such.

We learned Saturday at the Carp Market that this year's Bramleys were killed off by frost, but the Pippins will be in by late September/early to mid October. The market will have a heritage apple day on October 13.

2007 Aug 27
Their website is completely blank when viewed in Firefox on Linux :-(

2007 Aug 27
Of course it depends what you are making, to decide which apple is best. The Spy is not normally one chosen to eat fresh. Although the Northern Spy can look very similar to a Gravenstein, it matures much later (is a cold weather apple) and to the best of my knowledge is more sour, and retains it's firmness through cooking better. This is also true when compared with the Pippin and the Crispin which are both sweeter. The Northern Spy is really the consummate Apple Pie apple. When used in pie, you usually add sugar (preferrably brown, or dark brown) which makes for a sweet 'sauce' part of the pie, but the apple remains tart... very nice contrast! It also makes an applesauce that goes very well with certain types of baking, or as an side dish to pork. This applesauce, left unsweetened is not however as dessert-like as some of the sweeter apples that I've mentioned, which I've not tried for such, but which probably make quite excellent sauces and 'soft' dishes (strudel etc) I

2007 Sep 2
Re. "BEST. MAGAZINE. EVER." -- have you seen "Gastronomica"?

Pricy and obscure and not unpretentious, but still good.

www.gastronomica.org/

2007 Sep 2
Hmmmm, no, I'll have to check it out. I used to be a devout of "Chow" but it has apparently been discontinued :(