Bolton Food Products Ltd. [Food/Vendor]

2012 Jul 9
Does anyone have any experience with this purveyor of frozen meat products? www.boltonfoods.com

I just had a chat with a salesman at the door. They seem kind of like a higher quality M&M Meat Shops but with home delivery. I implicitly distrust door to door salespeople and this struck me as an Avon-style "regional distributor" operation with independent salespeople who take a cut of each transaction. Lots of red flags there, but the product looks quite promising!

2012 Jul 9
No idea about this one, but door to door fish delivery was popular in the UK - I used to get a lot of my seafood from a local guy who came round every couple of weeks selling whatever happened to be good that week. I'd be very happy to see a good quality meat and/or seafood company come knocking on my door.

2012 Jul 9
Mr Beef Store has free delivery over $200 and is all local

mrbeefstore.com

2012 Jul 9
Which is nice, but I don't just want delivery - I want them to come to my door and offer me products on the spot.

Also, if they could then cook it, serve it and cut it into mouthfuls for me that would be good also.

2012 Jul 9
I am skeptical on any butcher who has a website stating that they offer high quality local meats. Considering where you used to work Zym.....I used to go to the Sale Barn for fun with my neighbor and watch the buyer from your former employer buy some pretty poor animals if the price was right. This is common practice. I would much prefer to buy from the farmer direct and get to understand their practices. My neighbors beef is top notch! Not cheap but some of the best beef I have eaten. Many farmers take their quality livestock to the Sale Barn, but keep in mind that is where the culls go too.

2012 Jul 10
Well, I do not disagree with you krusty, that you need to trust the people you buy your food from, and the fewer middle men the easier it is to do that.

My understanding is that Mr Beef Store is part of the slaughterhouse in Packenham that got bought out by Muslims, and this is why they do not sell pork products. I would hope they practice Muslim business ethics throughout. Now as to whether or not they buy from the sale barn or directly from farmers, I guess you would have to ask them

Incidentally I of course got to see those animals at my former place of employ - yup some were in bad shape which in a way made sense given how much sausage and processed meat they made. If a pig breaks a leg on the way to slaughter, suddenly it is worth a lot less. But if you are grinding the whole thing up for sausage anyway it is easy to discard the bits around the break and it is still a good deal.

Sick animals are another thing of course. But I still have no hesitation shopping there.

2014 Mar 9
I just had a visit from this guy. Since I hadn't heard of Bolton Food Products, and I like my regular butcher very much, I decided not to even get dragged into a discussion.

The thing I found strange is that he had his van (presumably with product ready to sell) parked right outside. He seemed to target me, since when I sent him on his way he just drove off and didn't try to sell his wares to my neighbors.

So either I'm particularly harsh, and he was so dejected, he decided to give up for the day or he got my details from somewhere that I would be a likely candidate for home delivery. The only reason I bring it up is because I get a veggie delivery from a local CSA, so I was wondering if he'd got hold of their customer list.

Anyone else get a visit recently - or am I just over thinking it?

Cheers,
Ratty.

2015 Apr 27
I just had a visit by one of these guys and I too was targeted. He purposely stopped to ask me and when I wasn't interested, drove off. I also found that odd and am currently researching the company finding this thread. I buy my beef from Robert Dobson, Dobson Farms, which he has free range. I won't change that. I've never had any food delivered so Ratty, I don't think there's a connection with your Veggie seller.

From what I can tell, most of their beef is from the U.S., which means hormone and antibiotic laden. I don't know about what others think but I've always found U.S. beef has no texture and can almost be had through a straw. Bolton's website is really bad and isn't clear about the cuts, quantity, origin, etc., but the price is clear...very high! In Ottawa we are blessed with Whalebone for seafood and many local beef, pork and chicken suppliers so I have no idea why you would shop Bolton...let your neighbors know you have too much money and little time?

I generally don't buy things from white vans...

2015 Apr 27
We buy our meat from Dumouchel at 351 Donald Street. Great little shop with great service. They do freezer orders. I can recommend them although we don't bulk order since Hubby went vegetarian on me a coupe of years back. They deliver. Worth trying them out for smaller batches and if you like them look at their freezer orders.

2015 Apr 27
I was just looking at ordering from these guys from Ottawa: premiummeats.ca/

FoodiePrints has ordered from them and thought the quality and price makes it really worthwhile. The dry aged beef is awesome apparently.

They deliver free over $75 in Ottawa.

2015 Apr 27

2015 Apr 27
I'm a big fan of Lavergne Western Beef on the Navan Rd, and with BBq season on us I am reminded of this story: Saturday morning, place full of customers-mostly guys, a man says, "I ordered 5 kg of brisket, with the fat cap on." The room goes SILENT, and then another guy pipes up, 'How ya gonna cook it? Dry rub?"

2015 Apr 27
Slipacoff's Premium Meats is excellent.

2015 Apr 28
Just keep in mind that Slipacoff's Premium Meats is pretty much all Alberta box beef. Don't get any grand illusions about it being local or from small farmers.

That said, as per the link I posted above to the other thread, I've had the opportunity to try a lot of the products from there and they are all extremely good.