Foodie Shame - American Edition [General]

2012 Jun 4
So we went to Syracuse this weekend, and I indulged in my very favourite shameful foodie find that is unavailable in Canada - a Dunkin' Donuts apple fritter. I am not generally much of a donut eater, and even though I have access to fancy high-end donuts, these things are truly incredible. I have never eaten any other Dunkin Donuts treat, but these things are chewy, crisp on the outside, have a thin glaze, and are filled with APPLE PIE FILLING. Unlike Canadian fritters that have chunks of apple, these are heavy with a very heavily spiced filling. Not too sweet. Uh-mazing. We also indulged in our fair share of blueberry coffee - artificially flavoured but SO DELICIOUS!

What treats to you indulge in when you're across the border?

(brought back some Chobani too - totally jumped on that bandwagon, 2% only - passionfruit is my favourite so far)

2012 Jun 4
Spicy KFC which I cannot get in Ottawa any more.

2012 Jun 4
FRIED DOUGH! Beavertails are but a thin and meager approximation of this staple of the American fairground.

Having spent some time in Arizona and southern California, I also miss the ubiquitous high quality, inexpensive Mexican fare.

2012 Jun 4
Chex Mix....almost any kind will do, but the dark chocolate or honey nut are my favourites!

2012 Jun 4
Gardetto's Snack Mix yo.

2012 Jun 4
Any of the myriad "special" flavors of oreo. In my fridge now are rainbow sherbet, strawberry milkshake, mint and birthday cake oreos. I also love anything from Sanders, especially milk chocolate hot fudge sauce. Dulce de Leche Cheerios and salted caramel bugles. And ALWAYS Garrett's chicago mix popcorn when I visit chicago or fly through Ohare.

2012 Jun 4
Cheez-Its! They make my heart sing. They really are full of fake cheese goodness.
I second the Chex Mix; I actually just saw it on the shelves at the Orleans Walmart this past weekend. They only had the chocolate caramel favour left, though. So, apparently we're not the only ones.

2012 Jun 5
Trix cereals.

2012 Jun 5
Polar Birch Beer

2012 Jun 5
Bush's Baked beans
Velveeta (makes the PERFECT quick queso with a can of Rotel tomatoes)
Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chiles and spices)
Coke with Splenda

2012 Jun 5
Jojo a week after I came home from the south with a suitcase full to bursting of those Rotel tomatoes, I found them at Loblaws South Keys :)

2012 Jun 5
Curly fries at the fair.
Whatchamacallit chocolate bars.
Jalapeno poppers.
Dunkin'.
In and Out Burger.
Papa John's.

2012 Jun 5
Bush's beans are available at Loblaws. Clears some space in my luggage.

2012 Jun 7
IHOP.

I'm so ashamed.

2012 Jun 8
Corn bread Mixes (Betty Crocker, Aunt Jemima, etc--can't get them here!)
Rotel tomatoes
@ Blubarry--I will check for them in Kanata!

2012 Jun 9
Depends on what kind of cornbread you like, but I cheat fairly often for barbecues and the like with PC Organics Corn Muffin mix. It's decent.