Best & Favourite Breakfast in Ottawa [General]

2012 May 30
Who makes the best breakfast in Ottawa?

2012 May 30
Great question! My vote is for Baker Street Cafe on Richmond Rd. - great selection from cinnamon buns to your choice of eggs and various meats - very large plates.

On the other side of the river Edgar delivers some very interesting and delicious morning foods.

2012 May 30
Me!

2012 May 30
I find the eggs really great at Baker street, can't quite get them like that at home. Then again, I've never done them sous vide yet, should give a go at it.

The fruit, rye bread, sausage, and bacon is great as well. What I can hardly enjoy, is their home fries. They do these potatoes with onion/green pepper, sautéed in a pan. I'd prefer hash, or fried. I'd LOVE latke or the finely shredded hash potatoes.

The portion is huge, at 8.95 it's a good value. This is for the standard breakfast.

We generally goto Kristy's on Richmond as it's close by (reasonable breakfast, not stellar), and we don't have to contend with the yuppies who line up like lemmings outside the door at Baker Street. If it's a non-busy hour we'll goto Baker Street.

2012 May 30
We often go to the Twisted Lizard on Huntclub the old Mexi's for breakfast. They have peameal bacon, my fav!! Prices are good, service is good, breakfast is good!!! could have better coffee. Overall a good place for breakfast.

2012 May 30
Bearbrook Farm at the Landsdowne (temp Brewer Park) Famer's Market. Their scrambled aggs has bacon in it. Their hashbrowns have MORE bacon in it. Their bacon has even MORE bacon in it (and is killer tasty besides, be it strips or back). Their oatmeal pancakes with syrup and fruit compote are just. wrong.

2012 May 30
OSM's has to be the winner. Even if somebody rings in now with freshly squeezed juice and fresh-baked bread slathered with butter churned minutes ago served by Bar Refaeli in a bikini, they'd only be runner up. I think.

I put a vote for Baker Street, and St-Eloi in Hull. One of the worst might be Mill Street with their frozen mushy square 'home' fries.

2012 May 30
Are we limiting this just to traditional diner breakfast? Because I'd put my vote in for French Baker. A croissant, a latte, and maybe a pain au raisin and I'm a happy camper.

2012 May 30
Does anybody do a proper English fry-up in town? Blood sausage, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, beans.....

2012 May 30
momomoto,

while French Baker is decent, I miss the pastries in Paris.. Pain au chocolate, croissant, pain au raisin, etc.

The only one I had that were of the similar level was in Toronto at the Restaurant Annona at the Park Hyatt Toronto.. Apparently the pastry chef learned how to make them in France. But this was a few years ago.

2012 May 30
So my brother kept raving about the breakfast at Gabriel Pizza (corner Bank and Hunt Club). Gabriel? Does breakfast?? Who knew?

We finally tried it out. Went at 9:00 on a Sunday morning and it was packed, but we only waited 15 minutes for a table.

The portions are HUGE, the breakfast is really good, the service friendly and efficient.

It's not super cheap, but the portions are very large.

I had the Meat Mania - but since I don't like ham I got double bacon - nuff said.

Meat Mania
Two eggs any style with bacon, sausage, ham, homefries and toast - 9.25

The plate came with fresh fruit as well as bottomless coffee.

My hubby had the

Pizza Frittata - Meat Lovers - Bacon, ham and sausage - 10.00

This is an actual pizza crust with meat galore, eggs and cheese (not sure if there is a sauce?)

He loved it - said it tasted just like a Gabe's pizza but with eggs. Insted of home fries on the side he got a salad (LOL) and it was a big salad on a regular sized dinner plate.

We would definitely go again.

Here is the link to the locations that serve breakfast and the breakfast menu:

www.gabrielpizza.com

2012 May 30
Chez Edgar is by far my favorite place for Breakfast. Old dutch breakfast is amazing and Huevos Rancheros too.

2012 May 31
Art-is-in, big breakfast, or maybe croissant with coffee - or maybe almond croissant, or maybe sticky bun, or maybe ...

2012 May 31
Foodtravel:

I'd probably feel the same way! Heck, we just came back from Denmark and already I'm missing my daily Lagkagehuset fix. Fan-frigging-tastic pastries, great coffee, and elf-based staff.

2012 May 31
Love Tutti Frutti on Merrivale road. My grandchildren always want to eat there.
Fluffy waffles and the blueberry pancakes are a favourite as well.

2012 May 31
manx, fraser cafe, stone face dolly's

2012 May 31
Is there anywhere in Ottawa to get a breakfast meal with chilaquiles?! And coffee with cinnamon--miss those mexican breakfasts!
But though its not in Ottawa central The Hear & Soul Cafe in Dunrobin has awesome breakfasts with Good (Equator) coffee , nice prices and a nice drive. They serve breakfasts daily but the steak & eggs on weekends is my husbands favourite.

2012 May 31
WC - I have never seen chilaquiles on a menu in Ottawa.

2012 May 31
how bout a nice drive to Almonte to the Heirloom Cafe - eggs benny with with grainy mustard hollandaise sauce.

2012 Jun 1
Benny's Bistro (sit down restaurant at the back of French Baker in the Market). They do wonderful things with pork and bacon. I also love Edgar and Art-is-in. On the flip side, I had an incredibly disappointing breakfast/brunch at Metropolitain Brasserie some time back. The orange juice, which is a breakfast dealbreaker for me, was really off and the server insisted that it was fresh squeezed "off-site". Ugh.

2012 Jun 5
Was in Almonte last month and will second the brunch at the Heirloom Cafe. Canvas and Back Lane Cafe also do good brunch-type meals on the weekend.

Back Lane stopped their brunch through the winter but they said they would be offering it again when their patio was up and running. I see that their fencing is up so hopefully they will be open in the mornings again soon.

2012 Jun 5
tried to post this early about Heirloom in Almonte - mmmmm....Foodart!