Gabriels Pizza is NOT bigger and better!! [Food/Vendor]

2012 Feb 17
Ordered delivery from the Gabriel's on Ogilvie last night and talk about cheap!!!
5 Toppings
Red pepper - was chopped so tiny!!
Green pepper - there was only a FEW somewhat big pieces..I missed that taste!
DOUBLE mushroom - There was NOT double and they were chopped so small it was flavorless!!! Yes I know your trick - Less is more!! Cheapos!!
Hot peppers - No complaints

Remind me not to pay extra for loaded veggies...just have to get only 3 toppings so they HAVE to put more...and what a mistake adding red pepper!! they barely put green!! ughh....totally disapointed. When someone loads up the veggies it does not mean put less of the them!! Cheapos!!

2012 Feb 17
Have you expressed your discontent to the restaurant? If you do, might I suggest a more even-toned letter where you come off less as a psychotic ranting teenager?

I'll even help you out to start: try not to use 21 exclamation marks (yes, 21!!!!!) for five lines of text.

It's perhaps for the best they didn't put as many vegetables on your pizza as you clearly seem to be enough of one already.

2012 Feb 17
Not only were they cheap but it was also late and COLD.

TO SAURIAN
This is a place to make comments about food in Ottawa. At first I thought you were giving me a lesson in writing. Bahahaaha but you actually have me laughing out loud. I never thought someone would take exclamation marks so serious. You even counted them! :-/

You must own the place or something to be bothered by my comment. Your comment ''It's perhaps for the best they didn't put as many vegetables on your pizza as you clearly seem to be enough of one already.'' Saurian
That comment is a reason why I wont complain to the restaurant. Cheapo.

I will never order there again. When I pay for 6 toppings that is what I want or why else would it cost it more?

I was not yelling or being psychotic. I am sorry you feel this way with a computer symbol! I put less for your sake :-) God bless.

2012 Feb 17
Saurian I just realized you are not new to the forum. Your comment is not helping their business. Why you made that comment is beyond me. It only made me more angry and shows me that i will not get anything out complaning.

How hard is it to figure out? If it cost more you put more! It doesn't take a science kid to figure that out. Or maybe someone thought they were being smart but duh! It costs more!

Welcome to Canada. Freedom of speech. If you don't like it dont be cheap.

2012 Feb 17
While this conversation seems to be going somewhat off the rails, I did want to chime in that it really is bothersome when pizza places charge more for the same Total number of toppings, but more variety. If it costs an extra $2 or whatever for some chopped up green peppers, give me the same amount of additional peppers as if I had ordered a green peppers only pizza. Carlo's is one place where if you order more toppings, the pizza becomes thicker, rather than just a redistribution of the same total toppings, as at many places.

2012 Feb 18
If we do not talk about the problems with food in our city things will remain the same. I doubt any pizza places are listening but it is always worth a shot. The sad thing is even if they were listening I doubt anything would be done about any problems discussed.

2012 Feb 18
I found that if I want more variety, it is better for me to order half and half.. 3 toppings on half the pizza and another 3 toppings on the 2nd half rather than 6 toppings.

2012 Mar 2
Thanks for the help. Mmmm..carlos looks good. must find out if they deliver..

2012 Mar 2
Carlos (in Hintonburg) do deliver in the area if that is the one you are talking about

2012 Mar 2
It is the only one that delivers? It is sort of far from me. Maybe not, I am near the st laurent shopping center. I really need to order good pizza tonight. :-)

2012 Mar 2
Only one that delivers? I thought it was the only one period.

2012 Mar 2
Isn't Willy's in that end of town? There was a Groupon-type deal recently, maybe on Wagjag, for $15 for $31 of pizza from them.

And since we're on topic, Casa de (or di?) Luna also delivers in Hintonburg, and they're pretty good. A bit different than your regular independent pizza delivery place.. thinner crust, cheese isn't mountainous (but still plentiful).. just a bit of a different vibe. We've had them more often than Carlos since we moved into the area, but it's sort of a mood thing.

2012 Mar 2
Oh! The only one you say...well I am new still new to the city. Just looking for good food...that will delivery..;-)

2012 Mar 2
But I am not in that end of town...near st laurent shopping center. We want pizza!!

2012 Mar 2
Oh okay. I found a Willy's in my end...suppose that is what you were talking about butwhoami?
Willy's....hmmm...weird I never heard of it...

2012 Mar 2
I had a slice of chicken with hot peppers the other day at Willy's. The owner convinced me it was a house favorite, and while I rarely like chicken on pizza, this was good. The crust maybe a little wanting but my first experience made me want to try more. Worth a try.

2012 Mar 2
Mooonkey, that's the one I was talking about. It's gotten a lot of good reviews on this site.

2012 Mar 3
Thanks for mentioning Willy's. We ended up trying the one in our end of town, near the st laurent shopping, it was good. No complaints. Mmmm...it was very filling! The best part was being able to taste the veggies. The crust was very good...loved the crunchy baked cheese on the crust. We probably found a favorite :-)

2012 Mar 3
When I lived in the area many moons ago, I ordered from Nicky's on Montreal Rd. near Blair.

2012 Mar 4
I get what you are saying: if I buy one topping, I should get a certain quantity of that ingredient. If I buy two toppings (or a double topping), I should get twice as much of that topping (especially with the double topping). If I buy a combo that has 3 toppings listed, I should get three times that quantity.

Well, maybe not. Maybe you get an even distribution of all of the ingredients. Then, you ask, why is it more expensive to get a pie with more ingredients? Yeah. I see your point now.

I don't know how it works. I just know that if I try a new place and I don't like it, I don't go back. Is my complaining going to affect the industry and the way that pizza is made in the city or even that one store? No, it isn't. Still, I do like to complain ...

2012 Mar 5
Moonkey, the original Lorenzo's at Queen Mary and Lola St. Go there, see Eli, get pizza, be happy. The end.

I ate my first pizza there when I was a kid in the 70's and when I want to eat great pizza I drive there from Kanata. He probably delivers to your house if you live near st-Laurent.

2012 Mar 5
Stuart S I think the original Lorenzo's was on Arch street. He started with a small confectionary and then branched out into the pizza business.

2012 Mar 5
Hey Ken V - Sam's first Lorenzo's was on Cobden Road in the strip Mall off of Iris - I spend a summer doing delivery for Sam when he first opened up

JDK

2012 Mar 5
Okay ... speaking of working at a pizza joint - I worked at a Pizza Pizza many when I was in high school (late 1908's). One of those (at times) fun jobs that you'd like to go back and do for one hour or maybe one day.

Relavent discussion about topings on pizza's --- too bad people have to get personal with their criticisms --- I really don't understand this sort of banter.

I happen to be someone who likes to use lots of exclamation marks, I can't help but point out that exlamation marks often come in 3's so 21 is actually only 7. Would the same go for periods. I like to use those as well ...

But seriously, regarding the amount of toppings. It seems obvious to me that someone who orders a one topping pizza, say peperoni, is going to get a thin pie relative to someone who orders a combos with 4 or more toppings. That's how things were done in the day ... Don't know some much anymore as I rarely order pizzas.

Just to say how times have changed, in the late 1980's, the red peppers came out of a large can and were basically mush. Red peppers are now a common supermarket item and many people buy them fresh on a regular basis. Shame on cheap pizza places.

Keep up the good discussions and while the personally banter sometimes makes me laugh, maybe I'm a prude but I think there really is no place for making disagreements about food personal!

2012 Mar 5
JDK do you remember what year that was? Sam was always at the Arch street location in the late 70's. Arch must have been the second location. I remember my buddy's father started a fruit store on Kilborn and his brother a fruit store on Elgin and Sam opened a candy store then the restaurant I think that was 1977 not sure though.

2012 Mar 5
Now I am aging myself - it was in the mid 70s before he opened the Arch Street location (I was still in High School) During the summer I delivered food to lots of pizza joints with Arnie's Foods and helped in the evenings with delivers - I even used Sams car which was a standard which I never drove before LOL But I will ask Sam himself when I see him. He always stated that "JDK, your family has made my business" Myself, father and 2 brothers lived at the Cobden Road store and ordered lots of pies !!

2012 Mar 5
Ken V - Sam just emailed me back Cobden was Dec 1976 and Arch Street was after that

2012 Mar 5
Cool. Side note I helped my buddy deliver pies for Sam in the early eighties. They had this 73 white Impala that was a giant. That car sure was tough four wheels left the ground many times over train tracks if Sam only knew LOL. Pizzas slid a bit LOL!

2012 Mar 5
This is getting off thread...but I too delivered pizzas in the 70's, down in Windsor, lots of fun and great high school job (also washed cars in a dealership) beaten up delivery car, bald tires in snow (when Windsor had snow) mostly flat battery.....ah, the good old days!!!
I seem to remember the owner always used fresh peppers, mushroomsm, onions, because I had to slice them in the Hobart when deliveries were slow.

Okay, now I crave pizza!

2012 Mar 6
spud guy - which pizza joint in windsor? I still have the number for Torino committed to memory some 35 years after I left LOL.

2012 Mar 6
blubarry, it was Dino's at the corner of Pillette and Seminole. I remember Torino's, didn't they use yellow Chevi Vegas?

2012 Mar 6
Ewww peppers in a can...glad I am born when we can get fresh vegetables year round....even though they are cover with sulphites, ripened with gas, pumped with produce steriods and shipped accross the country.

I have tried Lorenzo's....something about the cheese is off. Sort of processed like? Just me maybe?

2012 Mar 6
never tried Dino's spud guy. And I think they did use chevy vegas. loved the sausage on their pizzas.

2012 Mar 31
Just to finish a little Ottawa Pizza History with Lorenzo's

Lorenzo's on Cobden was open in dec of 1976 and Arch was opend in Jan 1986