BYO Wine restaurants [General]

2007 Jul 18

I am wondering if you folks could suggest any restaurants that allow you to bring your own wine (for a corkage fee, of course). I know the law that allows for this in Ontario is relatively recent, but having spent some time in Australia where this is quite common, I am quite a fan of the idea. What can I say, I'm a wine snob on a budget :)

cheers

2007 Jul 18
there is a list here:
www.bringmywine.ca/ottawa.html

some of the places include beckta ($20 corkage), cafe mio ($15 corkage), perkins - yes, the pancake house! ($2 corkage)

my favourite places are all in montreal, where there are tons of byo wine restaurants and they don't charge corkage! we go all the time.

2007 Jul 18
Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for.

It is a shame there are so few. Somebody tell the folks over at places like Absinthe, Allium and Urban Pear to get on board. I know that sale of alcohol represents very significant chunk of their profit, but personally, I would be a much more regular customer if I could bring my own wine. Even at $15+ corkage.

Hopefully with time this idea will be more widely adopted.

2007 Jul 18
I just read of a summer special at Zola's (Italian). From Sundays through Wednesdays the corkage fee is ZERO.

2007 Jul 18
Hmm... I'm a bit naive to the BYOW in a dining establishment thing... I've only done it twice in Montreal. Is it customary to include a supplement to the tip based on the value of the wine you serve, especially if they don't have a corkage fee? I would say no, but I wouldn't want to be perceived as cheap. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

2007 Jul 19
holy crap, i'm not a wine-o but that offer from Zola's is enough to make me want to go there!

2007 Jul 19
If the server is uncorking the bottle and pouring the wine, I would assume that a supplement to the tip beyond 15-17% of the food cost is in order. If nothing else, it helps keep more restaurant employees in favour of BYOW.