In search of a Hand Blender [General]

2012 Jan 1
I'm in search of a stainless steel hand blender that is 1 piece. The Cuisinart unit we had for 5 or 6 years now finally died. I was 2 piece and the end came off to allow you to use attachments. This feature was relatively useless and led to its ultimate demise. I'd like to get a one piece unit like many of the plastic ones are, but made of metal.

Any ideas?

2012 Jan 1
I have a kitchenaid immersion blender with 10 speeds that I bought a few years ago at Canadian Tire for about $80, including a few accessories (blender cup?)that I never use. It has been way better than my previous one, which was Braun. I think that it may be longer than the Braun and is much more comfortable to use. And I really like having a bigger range of speeds. When I bought mine, the Red version was about $10 less than the stainless one, but not sure if it was a stainless housing or just grey plastic.

2012 Jan 3
I had a braun that lasted about 15 years, when it finally broke I had a hard time finding a single piece unit that looked like it would last and was less than $100. I ended up buy a two piece cuisinart which has worked well so far.

2012 Jan 3
I think Black & Decker does a fairly priced one.

2012 Jan 3
i know Waring has a couple.....pro series and commercial.

www.waringproducts.com/

2012 Jan 3
Yeah i was going to go down to Russel Equipment to see what they have in pro series hand blenders. I know they have some about 3 or 4 feet long - not sure if they come smaller than that or not :-)

2012 Jan 4
I overcame my wariness about hand-blenders (had a couple which ended up failing in what I considered to be normal use) about 6 months ago and bought a Bamix Pro. So far it has been working very well. It is easy to clean and is taking a beating.

2012 Jan 4
I am with Single Serving on the Bamix , got one as a mothers day gift 15 yars ago and is used every day with no problems. Vey easy to clean and extremely powerful.

2012 Jan 5
We're also in search of a good immersion blender. From where did you all purchase your Bamix products... is there a local supplier or is it more of a mail order thing?

2012 Jan 5
I also would recommend the Bamix. I purchased mine at Ashton Green, but I am not sure they still carry them since they moved to TO. I am sure a search online would turn them up.

2012 Jan 5
I got a $10 from loblaws and it has lasted 3 years so far with no issues and it takes a beating!

2012 Jan 5
I got my Bamix at Williams-Sonoma on sale for about $150ish. Be careful on a web search...I have seen some crazy high prices. I have not searched recently.

2012 Jan 7
Spotted today at Great Canadian Mega Store in Westboro.
6 Units on shelf. Reg price $34.99.
250 watt motor, 2 variable speeds and pulse mode.
Brushed stainless.

2012 Jan 7
Hmmm, for 17 bucks it might be worth a try

2012 Jan 7
I have that PC hand blender. the extras aren't worth it, but i do store leftover stuff in the plastic container that it comes with (mine came with a lid). the blender itself is fine, i mainly use it for soups and occasionally smoothies. i bought it on a blowout sale two or three years ago and it is still going strong. mine has more speeds, but no pulse mode.

2012 Jan 8
Well I got one of the PC ones at the Superstore. Thanks for the heads up Captain Caper .

sourdough, not sure whether or not you want the parts from our old Cuisinart as backup or not - let me know if you do. Otherwise I'll trash them.

The PC one is clearly not as high quality as the Cuisinart just based on looking them over and comparing, but for 17 bucks I'll give it a go for sure.

Another odd thing is that they had them in 2 different places on the shelf, sort of right across the aisle from each other. The picture on the box was very slightly different but they seemed to be the identical blender with all the same attachments. Anyway, the one on the shelf with all the other appliances was not on sale, but the one across the aisle down near the bottom was on sale. I scanned both to compare.

So ... we'll see how it goes in any case.

2012 Jan 9
thanks for the offer Zym, but that would mean I'd have to keep track of the parts. Given my work room and garage areas now I'd never find them when I'd need them :)

2012 Jan 22
Great deal if anyone needs one - www.amazon.ca