Benitz Bistro [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jul 13
I just heard that Derek Benitz, ex of Luxe and Stella has opened a new restaurant on Somerset West where Le Metro used to be. Has anyone been?

2007 Jul 16
What? Is he the owner? That would be really good for him, but a lot of work. His 2 kids are still fairly smallish. Anyway, I'll have to wish him luck next time I run across him....he's a good guy.

2007 Jul 17
I dropped by today, not to eat but just to have a look at the menu and offer Derek my best wishes and congratulations. He was out, but I spoke to his lovely wife Meg who I haven't met before. They have been open for about 2 weeks, the hours are lunch 11:30 to 3 pm and dinner from 5 onwards. The menu looked appealing but I can't remember most of the dishes, I will be in later in the week to eat so if no one beats me to it, I'll get back to you.

Amusingly, when I commented on what a good idea it was to use his name for the restaurant, I was told they'd had a different name in mind, but a friend told him he should put his own name on the restaurant. I completely agree, he's built his rep in this town, and when you go into business for yourself you should put everything you have into getting people in the door and eating your food.

I hope this place will be a roaring success!

2007 Jul 27
Went there tonight, very satisfied, for a place that's only been open a few weeks it shows a lot of maturity, service was attentive and professional

The space is nice and clean, and sports a small patio as well. We were seated inside. Place was mostly full, which is good...

The wine list is diversified and in a very sensible price range (most if not all bottles in the 2 digits)

My wife had the house Kir (with passion fruit) and we ordered a Vineland Merlot.

A nice amuse bouche was produced before we ordered, an corn with braised beef empenada on greens. Very generous portion bordering on apps size.

We shared the chef tasting menu, which is not meant as a main but is just right to be shared as an appetizer for 2.

It was 4 preparations on one plate, all seafood. Tuna tartare, scallop, shrimps and soft shell crab. Everything on the plate was yummy, especially the scallop, which was smoked.

For the main course, we had the bison and the trout. Both impeccably executed. The bison was absolutely tender served with the jus and lovely allumette fries and the trout was cooked just right and allowed to shine without being overpowered by a nice side of fingerling potatoes and greens.

Dessert was OK but no more, creme brulee was a bit runny (hot night) and the chocolate lava cake was very tasty but no melting centre.

Overall, this is a very promising place, hats off to Chef Benitz and his team. It is a short walk from my place so it won't be my last visit... :)

2007 Jul 31
Hi all,
where exactly is this located? When I clicked on the Location in the restaurant's profile, it does not come up with an address yet.

Thanks!

2007 Jul 31
I've added the address: Benitz Bistro

327 Somerset Street West
613-567-8100

2007 Jul 31
Ottawa Citizen has a review of Benitz Bistro by Gay Cook (published on July 25).

The article indicates that chef Derek Benitz and his wife Meghan McManus opened this restaurant in Ottawa. "Meghan is in charge of running the dining room, offering friendly, professional service. She's joined by sommelier Janet Fraser-Fletcher, formerly of Beckta Dining and Wine."

"Derek has plenty of experience. He and Meghan owned two restaurants in Montreal before leaving there in 1997 to move to Toronto so Derek could work with some of this country's top chefs. While there, he spent time at Auberge du Pommier with Michael Bonacini and at Morton's of Chicago.
In 2001, he was asked to move to Ottawa to help start Social. Since then, he's worked at several restaurants around town, including Cafe Spiga, Luxe and Stella Osteria.

Two apprentices in the kitchen hail from Ottawa's Le Cordon Bleu Paris Culinary Arts Institute in Ottawa. Tim Smith and Matt Seguin aim to be restaurant chefs some day. ...."

FiH, too bad that the two appentices' name are male. Otherwise, I will tend to think that you work there.

2007 Aug 1
Benitz is truly a wonderful bistro.

Tucked into a quickly growing strip of restaurants in our “Somerset Village” neighborhood. This isn’t a sandwich shop-café-dessert place that calls it self a “bistro”. Benitz is the closest Ottawa has come to real bistro food in a very long time.

The amuse bouche of grilled corn and braised oxtail was a two-bite wonder. Delicate flavors of the meat were brought out by a long slow cooking and complimented perfectly with a sweet hit of corn and a salty slice of feta laid on top. It was an unexpected and very welcome start to the meal. Chef Benitz has a talent for slow cooking challenging meats, this will serve him well in the winter months when braising and slow cooked meals are the norm in a classic bistro.

The main course proved several things: there is great skill in the kitchen, elegant style on the plate and a satisfying silence at the table as the food became the star attraction.

I had the lobster risotto (butter poached lobster on a perfectly cooked saffron rissoto) my partner took on the classic bistro dish, steak frite. On all accounts the meal was executed flawlessly. The Italian coffee, prepared by co-owner Meghan, was nutty, rich and complex.

Menu changes daily. We will be back often.

Next time, we stay for dessert.

($125, for two with drinks.)