fat equals flavour? [Cooking]

2011 Nov 13
Well, yes. It does, actually.

I made a nice pasta sauce the other night and it was so good that I had to have a second helping and more of the same for breakfast! The difference was that I had used regular ground beef (from Brian's Butchery). The extra fat in the meat added so much flavour to the sauce that it was a heavenly treat.

When we cook a ham, I always cut off the cracklins and serve them on the side. People can't get enough of them and they're the hit of the dinner.

I try to find good steaks that are well-marbled with fat, sometimes with a good amount of fat on the edge as well.

I love fat.
Is that wrong?

2011 Nov 13
Agreed. My favorite burger is made from ground beef, but mixed with the rendered fat from bacon. The extra fat does something for the texture aside from adding bacon flavor. Maybe It allows the surface of the burger to get crispier on the grill? I'm not a food scientist, but the texture is much improved.

2011 Nov 13
Fat is a treat, no doubt about it. It's not the only flavor though. I quite like the flavors of wood smoke(also not good for you). And spices like curcumin. Does anything lacking fat completely taste good? Yes, surprisingly. I think chilled pomegranate is exquisite.

2011 Nov 13
I save fat from everything and use it liberally in all my cooking. I use mainly animal fat for pan frying and so forth - it definitely adds flavour

Though I will add this - if you were buying good quality ground beef it can be exceptionally flavorful and still pretty low in fat. The pastured ground beef we get from a local farmer is so low in fat we sometimes have to add fat when using it, but the flavor is just worlds above the average supermarket stuff. And even butcher shop stuff since most butcher shops get the same factory schlock as the supermarkets.

2011 Nov 13
Have to agree fat adds so much to burgers. Extra lean just won't do when BBQing burgers. Saved bacon fat in the fridge is a great substitute for oil with certain things.

2011 Nov 13
It's very true.

I don't over do it but its part of good cooking imo.

I like to make a soup base, using thighs (since they have a lot of fat),(among other things, carrots, celery, onions) and then i take the fat from top and save it. I add it to my chow mein among other dishes.

Really good cooking is about meats, veggies, your noodles, etc absorbing your sauces.

You have to think it out a bit. For example, soy sauce is so much better than salt. Try putting soy into your soup base instead of salt..its a much more complex flavor..the salt just makes it taste salty. You want to add sweetness..often a bit of honey is better than sugar.. absorbs much better than sugar...you will see a world of difference.

Try marinating with soy as opposed to salt, big difference.

I use to make my chow mein with a sauce mix of soy, lime, then add a bit of sugar to it..then i decided on a bit of honey..and the sauce was so delicious. (i also add a bit of cooking wite) it really came out like the chow mein i buy. with sugar, not really.