Opening a coffee shop [General]

2011 Oct 20
Slate article on:

www.slate.com

2011 Oct 23
I agree HFF. If anyone can serve the kind of perfect home made yeast raised donuts you find all over Delaware/connecticut/rhode island (donut capital of the world I think), I'd drive across town for them.

In search of the reportedly perfect examples, I scoured parts of rhode island 4 times in as many days to finally find this place, well hidden on a service road in the middle of nowhere. The lot is full of cars from 7am until they run out and people do line up for up to half an hour to get them. I've had the Lansdowne versions and they are OK, but someone could make a killing if they brought authentic American donuts to Ottawa. If you build it, they will come, especially if you fill some with sweetened whipped cream and not bavarian cream :)

There is another place I went once, "butler's colonial donut house" about 2 hours north of Boston. No sign, but the guy worked out of his garage and it was in a rural area and when we finally got to the front of the line, he had perfect warm yeast raised donuts on a length of dowel, glazing them by hand with a paintbrush before stacking them in a box. His jelly donuts were also amazing, and he did a kind of creme filled long john with buttercream icing on top that was incredible.

God, I need a donut this morning.

2011 Nov 12
@zym, thanks for the info. I don't think it will be easy to change the ambiance at most Tims locations though. And doing so may upset their regular customers. It may turn out to be a "New Coke" type of thing.