Cherries on Sale at Loblaws/Superstore [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jun 30
If you love cherries,they're on sale this weekend for 1.99 a lb at all Loblaws and Superstore locations. I got half a kilo of them and man are they good. Lightly sweet and juicy. I think I may go get a few more and find something fun to make with them.

2007 Jun 30
any sign of the big 5kg bucket of frozen pie cherries? they are awesome for making cherry mead!

2007 Jul 1
I was back in the Superstore in Westboro this evening and I didn't see them. I wasn't specifically looking for the frozen bucket, but I think I would have noticed it, heh!

2007 Jul 15
Heads up! Loblaws and YIG both have the 10lb pails of cherries (pitted Black Sweet with 10% sugar or w/o and Red Tart ditto) this week for 19.99. I just picked up a pail of the Black Sweet.
My. Oh. My. Are the deeeeelicious.

2007 Jul 16
Dammit, and I'm in Boston on business! I hope they hold out til the weekend

2007 Jul 29
Alan they also have them at A&P in Old Hunt Club. Not too sure if they have them at others. We paid 15.99 for 5kg. I know after July 30th any stock remaining will be frozen and sold for less.

I like your idea about the mead. But honey is prohibitively expensive for me right now. grumble-grumble

2008 Jul 30
The big pails of the chilled & pitted Ontario cherries are back. Woohoo! Loblaws and YIG have the Red Tart Cherries (5 kg pail) for 16.99 and the Black Sweet Cherries (4.5 kg pail) for 27.99.
I picked up two pails of the black sweet...wishing I had more freezer space. They're fantastic!

You can freeze the pail and when you're ready to use the cherries, remove from the freezer and let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Scoop out the amount of cherries required and return the pail to freezer.

An aside: The pails have a tight lid and would be a good size for sauerkraut-making. I'm amassing a collection of them.

2008 Jul 30
Ooooo, time to brew my Cherry Stout!

2008 Jul 30
I'm a big fan of the Rainier cherries, but those are almost always really expensive. I know from previous years there are brief periods where they might be on sale at a reasonable price (somewhere less than 5.99/lb); I seem to recall Loeb having them on sale in the past but you have to catch them at the right moment and they're gone quickly.

Any place carry fresh Ontario cherries (the regular ones) here in Ottawa? Most of the ones I see are from the U.S. When down in the Niagara area it's great to pick up a basket of the local ones.

2008 Aug 2
Inkling,

I too am a huge fan of the Rainier cherries, and almost missed them this year! I ended up getting mine at Costco, where they were selling 2lb packages of Rainiers for $10.99. This was a couple of weeks ago, so they may be gone now. :(

2008 Aug 2
I'm seeing them at a lot of places this year. It used to be that you'd have to go to places like Herb and Spice but now you find them at Loeb and Farm Boy. I saw them at Loeb yesterday but the usual price is 5.99/lb, so that Costco price is pretty decent.

2008 Aug 2
Really? Wow, I had been having trouble finding them this year. Perhaps I was looking a bit too early in the season.

At any rate, the Costco cherries were delicious.

2008 Aug 7
Love cherries, would like to be able to have good ones year round. Unfortunately, I don't have the freezer space for one of those pails that Loblaws sells.
:-(

2009 Mar 27
Aforementioned cherry stout :

2010 Jul 10
Trumpets playing...and a couple weeks early this year...the big pails of the chilled & pitted Ontario cherries are in. I just picked up two 4.5 kg pails of the Black Sweet Cherries for 24.99 each (three bucks less than 2 years ago I see from my above post) at YIG on Bank/Somerset. They also have the Red Tart Cherries (5 kg pail) for 17.99.

I got plenty of jealous stares hauling they home. :)

2010 Jul 10
Thanks for the update AMR!