What do you do with split peas? And two recipes to share. [Cooking]

2011 Sep 15
Now that the temperatures are cooling down I am thinking of some hearty meals to make during the fall and winter months. I have an aweful lot of split peas and, although I love split pea soup, I am trying to think of other ways I can use them up. I was thinking of stews - with or without meat - but other than that I am stumped. So I am turning to my foodie friends here that might have some suggestions. Any thoughts?

2011 Sep 15
As promised I have two recipes to share.

This is the split pea soup I make from Anne Lindsay's Lighthearted Everyday Cooking:

2 cups dried yellow soup peas or split peas
10 cups water
1 ham bone or 1/4 lb. ham, chopped
5 medium onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery (including leaves), chopped
1 tsp. summer savory
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper

Rinse peas. In large soup pot, combine peas, water, ham bone or hame, onions, carrots, celery, summer sasvory and bay leaf; bring to boil. Skim off any scum. Cover and simmer for three hours or until peas are softened and soup has thickened. If soup is too thin, uncover and simmer 30 minutes longer. SEason with salt and pepper to taste. Dicard bay leaf and ham bone.

Makes eight servings, about 1 1/4 cups each.

2011 Sep 15
This recipe is a favourite I found on the epicurious website.

Persian Beef-and-Split-Pea Stew

Gourmet | August 2007

Adapted from Gelareh Asayesh

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Active time: 30 min.

Total time: 2 3/4 hr

Omani lemons (also called Persian dried limes) give a sour, slightly musty, and very authentic taste to this stew. They intensify the saffron, so if you want to scale back a bit on that flavor, omit them and add extra Key lime or lemon juice at the end.

Ingredients:

4 medium onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups water
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup dried yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
1/4 cup tomato paste (preferably Turkish)
2 dried Omani lemons (optional), pierced in several places with a small sharp knife
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh Key lime or lemon juice

Accompaniments: cooked basmati rice; radishes; fresh mint and basil leaves.

Preparation:

Cook onions in oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.

Pat meat dry and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Increase heat to high, then add meat, saffron, and turmeric to onions and cook, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.

Stir in water and tomatoes, then simmer, covered, 1 hour.

Stir in split peas, tomato paste, Omani lemons (if using), cinnamon, allspice, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is very tender, 1 to 1 1/4 hours more. Discard Omani lemons and stir in salt and Key lime juice to taste.

2011 Sep 15
I made Dal by accident once in University. My friend came over and said "you made Dal". I said "it's just split peas". So she tasted it and said, "but it tastes just like Dal. You reinvented Dal."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dal

Then you need some flatbread, or Jamaican roti shells, or naan, and you can make a pretty nice dish, especially if you have some hot, hot, hot peppers to spice it up!

2011 Sep 15
Other than soup,hmmm, thinking of hummus - and yup, just checked and there are lots of recipes using split peas...
The stew looks good and tasty!

2011 Sep 16
Francis Dal! Brilliant! I happen to have a recipe for it in my City Cuisine cookbook which I tend to use mostly during the winter months. Most of my favourite recipes from that cookbook are hearty dishes that call for root vegetables. I clearly need to dust off that cookbook again-;)

Andy I never thought of using split peas for hummus - time to start experimenting-;) I tried googling "split peas" but got a ton of split pea soup recipes. So I thought I'd try asking on OF since we have such a creative bunch of foodie folks on this site... That stew recipe is definitely tasty. I hope to make some over Thanksgiving weekend. (I am trying my hand at once a month cooking so I will be spending my long weekends this fall cooking up a storm.)

2011 Sep 16
Just for the sake of linking it in ...

Forum - Pea Soup

2011 Sep 16
Boring I know....and likely not what you are looking for, but I throw a handful or 2 into pretty much everything I'm making, vegetarian sweet potato and black bean stew, or deconstructed cabbage rolls or chili.

I find them interchangeable with red lentils, I like to use them as a thickening agent and protein booster.

2011 Sep 16
EM This is exactly what I am looking for! I tried visiting my favourite websites and doing a google search but almost all the results led me to split pea soups. I have enough ideas now I can probably start tweaking my own recipes-;) Thanks for the suggestions.

2011 Sep 16
I don't know if its available in Canada but in South Africa we use a pea flour to thicken gravies and stews. It has a nice taste and thickens liquids very well.
Wonder if you could grind them and use that way.