Specialty oils...where to buy? [General]

2011 Sep 15
Can anyone tell me where I can find: 1) cold-pressed pistachio oil; and, 2) a top quality avocado oil in Ottawa?

2011 Sep 15
I recall purchasing avocado oil at the Byward Fruit Market. I would also check out La Bottega as they have a fairly extensive collection of oils in general. If you can, go in when they are not busy so that you have the time and the space to browse, read labels and ask if there is someone on staff who can assist you. (Hint, it may not be the first person there on the floor but waiting for the right person can be really worth it.)

2011 Sep 15
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I saw both at La Bottega this weekend.

2011 Sep 15
Anyone see hazelnut oil in their travels around town? I was fascinated by how much El Bulli relied on it, but haven't been able to find it at the usual suspects - Luciano's, Herb&Spice, Bagelshop, etc.

2011 Sep 15
You can get Hazelnut Oil and a number of other nifty looking oils at "La Brulerie" on St. Joseph in Hull. www.labrulerie.ca Lovely place, that.

2011 Sep 16
Farm Boy has a lot of exotic oils or else Natural Food pantry.

for pistachio oil I know of the brand La Tourangelle and they have a roasted pistachio oil. I have not tried it yet, but have their roasted hazelnut oil and roasted almond oil- both are very nice.

not sure for raw oils though.

Hazelnut, funny Shoppers Drug Mart used to sell La Tourangelle oils at one of the Bank st stores...but no longer (not popular i guess).

Nicastro is a good choice too.

or online OGourmet has a lot of exotic oils and hazelnut oil. They ship from the Montreal area.

2011 Sep 16
The Mid East Food Center (St-Laurent) and Nicastro's (Merivale) have an excellent variety of oils.

2011 Sep 16
i often find my oils at Homesense or Winners. They have the La Tourangelle ones usually for $5 - $10...sometimes even less if on clearance.

2011 Sep 18
Farm Boy has most exotic oils (saw hazelnut, avocado, and [my favourite] toasted pumkinseed). Did not see pistachio there, though.

If you have never had the pumkinseed oil, give it a shot: Great on many pasta dishes (especially pumpkin ravioli), vegetables, and in salad dressings. Keep it in the fridge, as it is perishable.

2011 Sep 19
If you're looking for a bargain, Home Sense and Winners often have exotic oils, same brands, at a fraction of the price of the other vendors. I've bought avocado, hazelnut, walnut, grapeseed, any number of olive oils, as well as truffles and balsamic vinegars at incredible discounts. The only problem is it's a hit and miss proposition as they don't always have what you're looking for.