Pho and other Vietnamese [General]

2011 Sep 12
So in having a hubby with a severe food allergy, we're a little scared to try ethnic cuisines that we aren't already familiar with. But last night, we ended up getting pho, from a place across Somerset from the Plant Bath parking lot (I can't remember the name of the place). We were pretty impressed - I had rare beef and beef brisket, he had something not-soup with vermicelli noodles, and a strawberry shake. I thought the broth was VERY tasty, and while the service was terribly slow, we did at least have time for great conversation with the other family we went with.

So, did we stumble upon a GREAT pho place in Ottawa? With vietnamese cooking, do I need to worry about hidden shellfish/shrimp ingredients? Where else should we try for Pho (bonus if near Hunt Club / Uplands, relatively)?

2011 Sep 12
Pho 2, on Somerset right up from preston on the left. Is one of the better ones. I've been going since it opened, and a good number of my friends prefer different Pho places. It is really relative. I've been to dozens of Pho places and I really enjoy it. Some of the Pho places in suburbia you'll find give you a similar size bowl as Chinatown, but the bottom is inches thick. I'd rather them just give me a smaller bowl instead of trying to trick me..

Pho 2 has very large and generous portions, and they're open till like 5am in the morning.

Happy trails, Pho is great :)

2011 Sep 12
The XXL Pho at "Pho Bo Ga King" is so large it's the size of a wash basin. I don't see how anyone could finish that. Kind of like the Lone Star 72 oz. steak challenge (although I do know people who have finished that).

2011 Sep 12
Generally pho is not made with shellfish unless you specifically order a seafood pho, but I would always ask your server because I find that the cross-fertilisation of cultures and cuisines (usually a good thing!) might see some restaurants using shrimp paste as part of the base. You may well find fish sauce added to some, although it should be used as condiment rather than ingredient, so depending on the severity of allergy you might also want to check that with the server.

Certainly if you stick with a beef pho I think you'll find that the preparation is much like a simple stock with the addition of Asian herbs and spices, and you shouldn't have any problems with seafood products being used.

2011 Sep 14
I have been wanting to try Pho but hesitant because I am sensitive to MSG and figured it would be used to make the soup base. Anyone know of an MSG free Pho?

2012 Apr 9
Just as an update, talked hubby into going to Pho Thu Do on Hunt Club at Riverside yesterday. Unfortunately, they said the only stuff they could do shellfish free was the vegetarian spring rolls! We talked to the head waiter/greeter after scaring the 3rd-day waitress with the allergy, and the way he relayed the msg from the chef, we got the impression that while the chef COULD have made more stuff shellfish free, he didn't really want to. I had really been hoping that we had a decent pho place nearby. Guess it's back to Pho Bo Ga 3 for us, although I'm not sure I'll be able to talk hubby into it considering yesterday's experience.

2012 Apr 9
Considering that Pho ingredients are typically warmed up by submerging them in boiling water or stock, I would not be confident of any shellfish-free claims. The chances that the same strainer or water would be used to heat shrimp *and* your husband's food is going to be pretty high. Just the other day, I found a small slice of beef in my shrimp/pork/tofu pho. I was happy to enjoy a sample of something else, but if I didn't eat red meat I might have been put off...

2012 Apr 11
My impression is that restaurant owners, like other professionals, are so scared of being sued that rather than even attempt to serve a person with a "severe" food allergy, they will simply say that they cannot vouch that anything is (-----) free (here insert the allergy food of your choice).

Have you noticed that nearly ALL movies on TV these days are preceded by a disclaimer saying that this movie MAY offend - so it's up to the viewer to beware. So the same applies to restaurants, right? Restaurant will say that this food may contain the allergy inducing item - and therefore it is up to you to beware - you have been warned.

Frankly, I don't blame them one bit! A person with really severe allergies perhaps should not put their well being into the hands of a third party.

2012 Apr 11
Patricia, while that may be true for other restaurant owners, that was not the case at Pho Thu Do. The waiter specifically told us "he could do it, but it wouldn't taste so good". To me, that is unwilling to do so, from a cook.

I also am somewhat offended by your use of "severe" food allergy. No true allergy is anything less than severe. A rash isn't pleasant for anyone; neither are gastro side effects. In my husband's case, he could be dead before the epi pen could take effect. That's a true allergy.

I have to assume that you are not truly allergic to anything. Basically what you are suggesting is that anyone with food allergies should never eat out, never buy food from a grocery store, etc. That's not doable for most people. Honestly, many allergies are simple to avoid just by not-cross contaminating your pots and utensils. Doesn't work for all allergies unfortunately (thinking of gluten, specifically). The professional kitchen I was taught in made a point of no cross-contamination; in fact, every professional cook I've worked with has emphasized it. It shouldn't be so big of a deal, to be honest.

2012 Apr 14
not a recommendation per se (never had it myself) but Green Earth Vegetarian Restaurant carries a "Pho" and several other noodle soups.

www.greenearthveggie.com

Might be the crappiest Pho in Ottawa (?), but presumably w/ a reduced cross-contamination risk per Fresh Foodie's description above.

2012 Apr 14
Lady Ilsebe: I see food allergies as a) those that can make you feel awful and b) those that can kill you. The term "severe" would be reserved for those that can kill you.

If your spouse's allergies are such that he could be dead before the epi pen could take effect, then why take chances with a restaurant where the chef is unwilling to guarantee compliance? It becomes a question of which do you value most: the opportunity to eat at a restaurant or being alive.

2012 Apr 14
My number ONE spot is Saigon Boy Noodle House near the Scotiabank on Somerset. Incredible broth.

2012 Apr 17
Patricia - that's why we left Pho Thu Do, as the chef did not seem willing to cook to my husband's limitations. This is something we deal with weekly, if not more often. Some places are safe to eat, others aren't. But we always mention his allergy, and see how they react before ordering. I have since talked to Pho Van Van via email, and they have assured us of everything on the menu that may contain hidden seafood. Haven't had the chance to go there yet, but we intend to soon.