Manotick Village Butcher 1st Anniversary! [Events]

2011 Sep 3
How the time as flown! It's time for our 1st anniversary celebration! We're planning a bash Sept 17 from 11am to 3pm. We've got a lamb roast, a pig roast, and gas and charcoal grills going. Lots of samples!

The last year has been quite eventful - starting the only butcher shop in Ottawa sourcing 100% of the supply (meat and non-meat) from quality local producers while attending (and finally graduating from) Le Cordon Bleu - what a great time! - meeting a pile of producers who raise amazing animals and more...

We provide custom cutting at any time, custom sausages when we have product available, excellent value, and education as well. We go out of our way to get you what you are looking for and if we can't do it it's because we don't have the materials at hand! Give us a bit of a "heads-up" and we'll make it happen though.

We'd like to invite everyone to the event. If you haven't had our meat, you really should try it. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and until we started this venture I bought at the places most of you do. This is different stuff entirely. It's all local, all the time, and in many, if not most, cases it will cost less than if bought elsewhere especially if you work out the price per pound after cooking - and will look a whole lot better! It has no antibiotics, no hormones and no other stuff you don't want (like fillers, water/saline/other injection and so on). Because we get dry-aged sides and never wet-aged "box beef" we have things like tri-tip, skirt steak, flank, brisket, and other unusual cuts on a weekly basis, and have recently started bringing in hanger steak (the abattoir takes this off while processing the beef and doesn't give it to us even if we buy the side)! If you haven't tried hanger steak, it's wonderful - tender if cooked medium rare even on a stove in olive oil! We'll have some belted galloway (lean beef) coming in as well. And Large Black pig, Tamworth and other breeds have been and are coming again as well! We have all beef pepperoni and hot dogs made with things like sirloin tip roast, cross rib roast, eye of round roast, even tenderloin - all packaged in natural hog or lamb casing (hot dogs in lamb, pepperoni in hog), i.e. we don't use the "leftovers" from the cutting room floor, we use meat you'd serve your inlaws! Hm... I guess that depends on whether you like your inlaws, doesn't it? I like mine :-) Seriously, it's meat you'd serve people you care about, inlaws or not.

We have several chefs cooking up a storm from 11am - 3pm, and Jennifer McLagan, author of the books "Fat", "Bones" and her newest, "Oddbits", will be there as well! Come for an autographed copy! We're also working on which of her recipes to cook - beef heart is winning out at this point. Let us know what you'd like - brains, heart, liver, kidneys, testicles,.... ouch... If you'd like more information on Jennifer, visit her website at www.jennifermclagan.com. She's a very nice lady and a great cook (according to her hubby who had to taste test every recipe - brave man!).

Remember though, where ever you go, ask where your meat comes from. If they can't tell you, it likely comes from an industrial farm (injected with antibiotics and hormones and treated rather poorly) and is not dry aged (i.e. boxed beef). If they don't know, you don't know. We want you to know. In the end we want to provide the best meawt available anywhere and you deserve it. A well treated animal tastes better.

Dry aged, not wet.
Wrapped, not vacuum sealed.
Local and sustainable, not industrial.
"Clean" meat, not injected
Responsibly raised, not Certified Organic (contact me for more information)

Honest to Goodness Fresh!

It's your choice. Come and enjoy the celebration on Sept 17 and taste the difference.

2011 Sep 4
I love MVB! Great meat and great prices! One of my go-to places...

2011 Sep 4
I will second that Chimichimi. One of my weekend stops.

2011 Sep 5
I definitely try to get here as often as I can... which sadly is not as much as I would like.