Food Coupons/Extreme couponing [General]

2011 Aug 5
After seeing a news clip about extreme couponing and coupon stacking, I decided to check out the phenomenon. If you don't know about it, people spend hours finding coupons and are able to get something like 400 dollars worth of groceries for 40 bucks. (of course these people have no life) They do this by 'stacking' coupons with different codes to be used on the same product. They join coupon clubs and trade coupons and they spend all day scowering the internet, newspapers, etc, for coupons. In this way, one can use multiple 25cent off coupons and actually get a substantial deal. These people also wait for grocers to have sales, and strategically use the coupons on sale items, thus getting the item for pennies. Apparently this takes extreme organization. Unfortunately very few retailers in Canada allow coupon stacking (which shouldn't matter anyway since stores get totally reimbursed by the manufacturer).

At any rate, I still found a few deals on things I normally buy anyway, so it's worth a look.

Although I don't have 8 hours a week to be coupon miser, I did find quite a few deals out there.

3 dollars off any listerine product, 1 dollar off creamcheese etc. YOu folks can find these rather lame, yet decent coupons on your own.

But today i stumbled upon this cool page.

2 different cold stone creamery coupons. They are free, generous and printable. One expires august 11th so, chop chop. One is Buy One Get one Free, the other is 50% off. Not bad!!

There is also a coupon for a buy one get one free whopper from burger king. Meh, I know, but 2 burgers for the price of one is fine by me. (this requires some sort of registration) I just made up a persona, and I got it anyway. The coupon prints out your name, so use something at least close to your real name.

There is also a 10% off coupon for M and M's. Also meh.. but why not?

coupons.smartcanucks.ca

save.ca/

This is a great site for general foodstuff and/or cleaning supply coupons.

There seems to be something to this seemingly stingy practice. Anything to conserve money and stay out of debt is a great thing :) If only the US government could learn from that lesson.

2011 Aug 6
Doesn't surprise me actually. There are 44 million Americans on food stamps at last count. People have to get inventive about making ends meet there, and the coupon-ing trend then spreads to here.

I saw an article this week that dollar store profits are way down because people are finding dollar stores too expensive. They interviewed execs from the biggest dollar store chains in the US and they said they intentionally held prices stable on a number of staple products because people are depending on them just to get by - things like TP for example. This impacted their profit margins.

2011 Aug 6
I use coupons a lot when I'm in the states. They always come in the Sunday paper, and the stores usually put the couponed items on sale, with ads also in the sunday paper. If you get a customer card for a store like Price Chopper you will also get double the coupon value. Downside is that for food, coupons are generally for highly processed stuff, although if you stick to the store brands you can sometimes find coupons for staples. Last week I got organic eggs on sale for $2.99 a dozen, but they were on 2 for 1, plus I had a coupon for 75 cents off, which was doubled. So it's hard not to use coupons when you get 2 dozen organic eggs for $1.49. You can use coupons at the warehouse stores like costco and BJ's and most stores also have their own in store coupons that you can combine with mfr's coupons.

This side of the border I tend to use them more for stuff like shampoo and laundry detergent as the processed foods are not really my thing.

If you have a product that you like using, I suggest you go on their website and look for coupons and offers. They are generally deeper discounts than those in the newspaper, and sometimes you don't even need the physical coupon now, as you can download them to your smartphone, and avoid having to sort through scraps of paper at the checkout.

2011 Aug 7
You can "stack" coupons usually at Pharmaplus and Loblaws.

At pharmaplus you can use the flyer coupons along with Save.ca or manufacturer coupons.

Another thing most people do not know about is the SCOP policy or Scan code of practice.
if you look it up online it gives a list of retailers that if your item scans wrong you are supposed to get it free up to a $10 value and if it is over $10- you pay the difference.

That happens to me a lot at Shoppers Drugmart and Loblaws.
But the Shoppers at Rideau is scammy for refusing to use this policy.
I even had a printed receipt with my item incorrect and the cashier actually ran to the shelf to rip off the price tag saying it was wrong.
She also deleted my transaction before I paid saying that was not true.
Now at the shoppers if I ever go I correct them AFTER I have paid...lesson learned there.
Rideau shoppers sucks anyways,in my experience they do not even honour the actual advertised flyer prices-lame store.

But anyway, all the other Shoppers I have caught errors at, never any issues.
I actually heard of people on another shopping forum who go to Walmart and scan items to see if they are wrong then bring them to the cash.
if they have time,good for them I guess.

Usually I try and use a lot of grocery coupons,but lately this year there is almost none that are useful for me.
I just read the store flyers and that is it really.

Another thing is if you keep all your paper flyers and don't want to go to a ton of stores, you can bring them to Zellers or Walmart and get the flyer prices.

Can't think of any other money saving tips at the moment.
I don't really save tons on food,I don't like fast food meal combos (just the Harvey's veggie burger,but never get that since the one near me burnt down).
If I get take out food I usually go to the grocery store to buy a hot item or else a local bakery or something.

Cold Stone is ok,but their portions are very small.
Mcdonalds Mcflurry mini is a better deal or maybe Dairy Queen.
If you are going to Cold Stone I suggest try Sella Luna Gelato instead or Malak pastry ice cream- both seem to have decent size servings.

But the better deal @ Cold Stone is the 500ml "take home" it is around $7 and 4x the amount of "dairy product".

For coupons for "healthy" foods there is a site called www.thehealthyshopper.ca
I think you can print coupons and they have a actual coupon book you can get,my aunt got 10 of them for me at Sol natural foods in Gatineau a few months ago.
Coupons in that are good till Mar 2012.

2011 Aug 7
here's an idea of what it is.. she ended up getting all of her shopping carts for not much money.

2011 Aug 7
That couple needs to learn something about real food. I don't care how cheap they got all that crap for.

2011 Aug 7
Looking at what they bought, nothing I would put in my mouth!!!
Candy, sugar flavored water etc. No wonder they are over weight!!
Buy fresh and local is my mantra!!!!!!

2011 Aug 7
I am a big time penny pincher. I don't use much in the way of coupons because I don't find the coupons here to be that fabulous.
I do shop by flyers though. I sit down with my stack of flyers every Thursday and decide what I'll be buying for the week. If it's meat or dry goods for a fantastic price I buy and put a couple away in the freezer/pantry. Not a tonne, just enough to ensure I get to eat what I want, when I want rather than solely eating what's on sale that specific week.
The pantry/freezer stocking means I don't have to sacrifice the quality I hold to. I just wait for the sales to cycle back again.

The people on the couponing shows gross me out. I tried watching the show a couple times and I just can't take it. To me it's extreme greed and a reinforcement of the American stereotype. The store rooms full of more products than the entire family can use in 3 lifetimes, the in-house stores that allow for no "want" lag time, the lack of appreciation for food. Kills me. Blegh.

2011 Aug 7
I'm with you Zym. Most coupon stuff is highly processed industrial food, full of salt, high fructose corn syrup, and cheap fillers. A fast lane to the grave.

2011 Aug 7
If you try, you can find coupons for staples like regular and organic milk & eggs, bread, butter, sour cream, yogurt, cottage cheese etc., and not just the processed stuff. I've also found them for non food items like recycled tissue, paper towel, eco cleaning products, and toiletries. You just have to look a bit harder for them. And when there are coupons for deals on things like tomato soup, peanut butter, canned veg. or dried pasta, why not use them to buy a load of stuff for the food bank?

2011 Aug 7
I was going to say a lot of the people on the couponing show seem to be quite overweight.

The best deal I miss now for free or cheap food was when AP had the fresh or free policy.
I would try and take advantage of that a few times a week when possible.
I would always find tons of junk food and skip most of that,but would also find big bowls of salad,fruit salad,bagged vegetables,juices,organic items.

The policy used to be you found an expired item and got the fresh replacement free.
Then it became find the expired item and get the replacement free...but spent an equal amount on store items..so with my having not much to buy I ended up being able to buy gift cards for other store (and at one time had almost $400 in home depot cards...I did need them seeing I have a new place).

It is too bad there is no more AP and no more fresh or free :(

Here is more info on the Ontario SCOP:

www.retailcouncil.org

. THE ITEM FREE SCANNER POLICY
Retailers will implement an Item Free Scanner Policy as follows:
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.

1.2 Where the same error recurs in scanning multiple units of a given product during a given transaction, the retailer will correct the scanning error in respect of each unit of the given product purchased, but is obliged to apply the policy set out in 1.1 (a) and (b) in respect of only one of the units.
---------------------------------------------------------
Signatories to Scanner Accuracy

CACDS Supporting Companies:
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and Ont only)
Lawton Drug Stores
London Drugs
Lovell Drugs
Pharma-save (BC and Sask)

CCGD Supporting Companies:
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Sobeys Inc.
Metro Inc.
Thrifty Foods
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
Co-op Atlantic
Federated Co-operatives Limited

RCC Supporting Companies:
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
The Home Depot Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Rona
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy/Future Shop
2 Home Hardware franchisees

CFIG Supporting Companies:
Thrifty Foods
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
+ 1374 independent locations
----------------------------------

Pharmaplus was supposed to be a participant also,but can't find the complete list.

2011 Aug 7
I know IGA on the Quebec side, probably in Ontario too, gives a free item when you buy a certain amount of groceries. It's usually something healthy: orange juice, Preventia cookies, etc..

2011 Aug 8
Interesting thread - while I'm not into extreme couponing at all. There is something to be said for getting a deal on something. I subscribe to: BargainMoose Canada (bargainmoose@gmail.com). They send out one e-mail per day that lists 5-10 coupon, deals and freebies. The items range quite a bit from big box stores to other types of retailers (including restaurants and food). It is sort of like a virtual equivalent of a flyer.

On another topic related to extreme couponing and processed food, I have to rant about Walmart … I’ve gone there a few times recently instead of Superstore and I continue to have lots of problems accepting this store in our community. Am I the only one out there who feels like they have stepped off a space ship and landed in the US as soon as I pull into the parking lot of a Walmart? I had to insert this random thought (rant) sorry for digressing …

2011 Aug 8
@flexie, re: Wal-Mart

That may not be a bad thing . . . I've always gotten great service at Wal-Mart, unlike say Canadian Tire, where you have to practically mug an employee to get assistance.

Back in July I noticed a defect on the sidewall of our minivan tire, the day before we were supposed to go to our rental cottage. I rushed down Canadian Tire, but after keeping me waiting two hours, alas the tire was not to be found (the computer said it was there though). No apology, they just handed me back the key.

So then I rushed over to Wal-Mart like 1 hour before closing. They said they couldn't sell any tires, because their computer system was down. But when I explained my situation the Wal-Mart guy went and found the correct replacement tires manually, by going through the tires on the racks one by one, and then they installed it for me before closing. They are A+ in my books.

2011 Aug 8
Walmart is a huge improvement over what they replaced: Woolco. I think they have very good service, and was actually shocked at how helpful they were when they first opened in Lincoln Fields. I asked where to find something and they actually walked me to the other end of the store right to the product. They also honor competitor's advertised prices. Anyone miss Woolco?

2011 Aug 9
Walmart is good for some things- like if you are painting your house and need some items-like drop cloths,cleaner ect.

Also the drugstore at Walmart- the over the counter items are the best prices I've seen.
I just bought the over the counter Tylenol w codeine (use for dental things) and Walmart is $10 for 200 and Pharmaplus,Zellers other places around $12 for 100.

Some on the items on the shelf like cosmetics, prices are ok, not the best.

Shoppers Drug Mart- the good thing they have is if you get your flyer and they have the optimum points bonus day and you go to certain stores, they have their sale a day early, so you get the deals from the points on Friday (that weeks sale) combined with the Weekend promotion.

-so lets say there is 20x points on stuff until Friday you get that,but then Sat it is $20 Tim Horton card when you spend $75 or whatever..you get that too.
-this is not all stores, the one in the Glebe used to do that and Rideau Centre shoppers still does that.

Also, if Shoppers has something like 10x or 20x points on an item,you also get the promotion from the weekend or whatever (so let's say chips are 20x and there is a 20x on everything...you would get 40x points on that item).
Hope that is easy to understand.

Sometimes shoppers will have 20x on certain brands of food and that is on top of other sales.
last year they had 20x on Nativa organic items for a few weeks and I ended up getting a bunch of items from that brand.

I think Walmart is a ok store, it is good in a way because many people they can not afford more highly priced items I guess.
I do not like the new Walmart produce section though- many items are more expensive than the local stores.
And last time I was there they had some Ontario logo fruit bins...will all American fruit in them.
The cardboard bins said "Foodland Ontario" and there was US grapes,berries and apples!

Maybe Walmart sells some Canadian produce,must be imaginary produce I guess?

2011 Aug 9
I'm not sure how much money they saved, especially when she took a day off work. The chocolate bar thing would be deadly for me, I'd just keep eating them probably losing count.
Sometimes youtube just makes you feel better about your life.
My thing is to put my groceries on a PC card. I don't know if the points are the best value, but I do get about $100 / year of groceries.

2011 Aug 9
@solstice,

When I was a kid I remember seeing a cartoon where a kid was running behind a bus. His friend asked him why he was doing that and he said, "when I want to go somewhere, instead of taking the bus I just run behind it and save the bus fare. I'm saving up for a [whatever]" His friend scratched his head a bit then says "then you should run behind a taxi cab, and you would save even more."

Would they have bought all that candy if it wasn't for the coupons? I'm thinking no . . . so have they really "saved" anything at all?

2011 Aug 11
maybe for the candy, I hope she is giving it out for haloween or maybe gifts to co-workers??