A Lesson on Lobster? [General]

2011 May 15
I have no experience dealing with lobsters. I'm kind of uncomfortable to buy one period. I've had it in restaurants couple times.

So it is alive when you buy it? What steps do you have to take then to prepare it?

2011 May 15
Just throw it in boiling water - that is it.

2011 May 15
.....for about 20 minutes. Melt butter, Lay out newspaper on table. Enjoy!

2011 May 15
so you don't have to do any of the declawing etc?
and how quickly must u get the lobster into water or fridge?

ps thanks guys

2011 May 15
20 minutes? Sure, maybe if it's a giant lobster or you like it rubbery... should be closer to 10 - 12 minutes. You don't want them to sit in your car all day so try to go home right after or bring a cooler with ice. Leave in fridge until ready to boil.

Yes, you'll have to do declawing. Look on youtube, lots of videos on how to gain access to the meat.

2011 May 15
Declawing is part of eating it - not something you do to prepare it for cooking.

I find the Lee Valley poultry sheers to be great for opening up a lobster to get at the meat.

Make sure you eat the tamali too !

2011 May 15
To Mart 242`s point; don`t really worry about keeping it warm at the table, it is more important to not overcook it. Overcooking lobster takes it from being a real culinary delight to something rather mediocre. I use a bamboo steamer basket run it for about 10 min and then turn off the heat.

Also, you have to be prepared to get very messy and take the time to really get at all the good edible stuff. You can also save parts of the shell/carcass to roast for a really nice lobster stock afterwards...

2011 May 15
If you're really squeamish about cooking it yourself, most places that sell lobster have a steamer-contraption-thingy so that you can have it cooked for you.

If you want to do it yourself, I can but mirror what people have said above: throw it in the fridge (or freezer) until you're ready to prepare it, then place it head-first in boiling water for the 10-12 minutes.

One of the benefits of cooling them down while live first is that they're very woozy, which makes them a lot easier to handle.

I've found them to be best when you snip the bands off the claws first. Some of the bands can make the claw meat taste like burnt tire. Sounds scary, but if you do it while they're still woozy you can snip off the bands and cross their claws across one another (like you're handcuffing it), which prevents it from clamping at you.

2011 May 15
I agree with Momomoto .. Get rid of the rubber bands around the claws ... but be careful, the larger crusher claws has been known to crush human fingers.

When I was a kid the lobster fishermen around where I grew up made their own pots (traps) and used small wooden pegs to put in the claws joint. The pegs prevented the claws from opening. The pegs could be removed before cooking but it was not required because they did not impart any bad taste.

novascotiaheritage.ca

For another lobster tale (pun intended) see my profile here on OF.

2011 May 15
The East Coaster in me has to say that some of the freshest tasting lobster I've had since moving here to Ottawa are the canners that are cooked and flash frozen in a block of water at point of processing in NS or PEI. They're sweet, burst with flavor and haven't taken on any odd "tank" flavors. Being frozen in a block of ice also prevents freezer burn.

That said, you sacrifice a bit in texture, as cooking & freezing, then thawing and steaming can make it a wee bit rubbery. :p

And don't forget that with lobster, bigger is not better. :) That's an Alberta-ism. ;)

2011 May 15
Yeah I have to say that lobster here can be really iffy at best. I know that Farm Boy right now has those canners that are cooked right off the wharf in New Brunswick and then here in the store the next day, so I would recommend you try those.

Don't forget to salt the water you cook it in, if you do cook your own. Generously to about the level of sea water. Otherwise they may explode while cooking.

EDIT: you can re-heat the canners in boiling water just like cooking. Again, be sure to salt it first.

The "iffy" part of lobster here is that sometimes they can just be really sick and yucky as a result. We've had some really bad luck with some of the places with the best reputations (dedicated fish stores). We've found the best places for lobster are Sobeys (maybe because of their Maritime heritage?) and the Veggie store on Carling near Merivale - what is it called - St Laurent?

2011 May 15
I'm not sure about reheating the canner lobsters. Cold lobster is really good and the best lobster I ever had was cold lobster somewhere in New Brunswick during a motorcycle tour of the maritimes.

2011 May 15
Yes, cold is very good - no need to reheat unless you really want it hot. But you can reheat that way if you want.

2011 May 15
Good call on the lobster pegs! I had forgotten about those things.

When it comes to lobster, I agree that Sobey's seems to get some really good ones. And we tend towards buying live canners, too, since it's been ages since I've been able to find "connections" out on the east coast to drive lobster here fresh.

(Now is the time to set me up, people. Come on!)

2011 May 15
On timing....You are correct -20 minuites would be too long for a single lobster. I am thinking of doing about 4-6 in a big pot of seawater. The 20 minutes would be allowing for the water to come up to the boil again.But there is a big dif between a canner on its own and 4or 6 that are between 1.5 and 2 pounds each!

2011 May 15
I concur on the cooking time. 12 minutes is sufficient even for a 1.5 lb'er. If you have an outdoor propane burner with some power, 30-50,000 BTU, boil and cook them outside... especially if you have a squeamish significant other... like I do.

I use my turkey deep fryer. Of course, when we get a boil on, we do 20+ lobsters at a time.

2011 May 18
When cooking ... USE IODINE FREE SALT !!!!
Kosher salt, non iodized sea salt, heck... rock salt for melting ice ... anything but salt with iodine in it.
I hate the taste of lobster ruined by using iodized salt.
It should be a criminal offence to put any lobster in water containing iodine.

2011 May 19
Huh! I never thought of that, Cap'n. How does it affect the taste?

2011 May 19
Ruins it.

2011 May 19
... with a metallic iodine taste. Subtle but very disappointing.

Only thing worse is lobsters cooked in iodized water WITH the rubber bands left on. Sacrilege. Yeesh.

2011 May 19
I can't second that Farmboy recommendation. I got pulled in by the awesome price and bought three. They were quite overcooked and I wouldn't buy them again. Feh.

2011 May 20
I'll second that farmboy non-recommendation. Same thing for Metro. Both were overcooked.. I'll cook them myself this week-end.

2011 May 20
Plus, All their disclaimers notwithstanding, I have had to return some that were not fresh. If you are getting them from FB - who I normally love- give them the sniff test!

2011 May 20
I usually buy live lobster, freeze it for 20 mins before I cut it. Cut and separate tail and head, remove meat from its shell. I use shell to make bisque, it is very tasty.

2011 May 22
If you don't want to worry about cooking times and the such, there is an old, quick but sure way to know if your lobster is cooked. Take one of the antenny (long things at the top of the head - unsure about the spelling)with your thumb and index. Give a quick tug - wrist motion with only the hand...not your whole arm. If it comes off, the lobster is cooked.

2011 May 22
I worked and lived 10 years along the NB coast and learned a lot about lobster. Cooking - salty water (non iodized) is a must. The ultimate is to cook them in seawater but that would be a stretch here in Ottawa
;-). If cooking several, you don't have to fill the pot FULL. It takes an eternity to boil the water if you do. Once you throw the lobster in they take up the room and even if the top one isn't entirely covered it will steam any way. (make sure you have a good cover).

Select live lobster by picking them up by the back and holding them up. It the tail drops down it's either dead or almost there. Try to pick the one that keeps it's tail curled up.

Once the lobster is cooked (15 min max!) take them out, flip them upside down and store them in a cold environment. Flipping them keeps the juices in them.

Fresh cooked lobster is great hot/warm but cold is just as awesome. In NB I learned that instead of dipping in melted butter, you can also dip in white vinegar. Less rich tasting and adds a nice tang to it. I actually prefer the vinegar. I can have a cooked lobster out of it's shell in 30 seconds.

There are tons of vids on UTube that walk you through on how to clean them.

ENJOY!

2011 Jul 20
Hi All

Too much of discussion has happened. So just try now cooking Lobster Pie. I've also found this on net. I've never cooked a lobster, so don't have any idea. I'll be trying this one during weekends, of course, firstly for self at home and if would taste good then for friends.

Ingredients
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
* 1/2 cup sliced green onion
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
* 1/2 cup clam juice or juices from cooking the lobster
* 2 1/2 to 3 cups diced lobster
* 2 cups half-and-half, whole milk, or light cream
* 1 cup cooked frozen mixed vegetables or peas and carrots, drained
* 1 sheet puff pastry
* dash paprika
* freshly grated nutmeg, a few gratings, or about 1/8 teaspoon
* pinch salt, to taste
* pinch freshly ground black pepper
* egg wash - 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Preparation:
Melt butter in large saucepan. Add mushrooms and onions and stir until tender. Sprinkle with flour; cook until flour is absorbed into the butter. Add sherry and clam juice or chicken broth; stir over low heat until mixture thickens.

Remove mushroom mixture from heat. Stir in the lobster and cream, then the hot cooked vegetables. Taste and add paprika, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, to taste. Spoon the lobster mixture into 4 buttered ramekins or individual bakers or a buttered 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Set aside and let cool down to room temperature.

Take puff pastry out and to thaw for 20 minutes. Cut or roll out, if necessary, to fit dish. Cut vents in the pastry then fit over ramekins or baking dish. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 400° for 20 to 30 minutes or until pastry is puffed and nicely browned.

2011 Jul 20
@Pamela Woods I don't mean to be mean but I've got to say that I am a bit confused as to why you felt the urge post a random recipe that you have never tried. To me this is SPAM. If it was a recipe you've used, liked and wanted to share your experience, that would be another story. The internet is full of recipes we can all look up for ourselves, why re-post one without crediting where it came from?

2011 Jul 20
Maybe she's a "sock puppet" - I just heard about that on the CBC. Was news to me!