Free Beef Chart [General]

2011 Feb 21
For those of you just dying to have your own beef chart at home, mine arrived today from canadianbeef.info

You can also download the PDF from there.

2011 Feb 21
BTW it only shows primal cuts for the most part, so you still won't figure out, for example, where your T Bone steak comes from :-)

2011 Feb 21
Nice! I'm pleased to see that hanger steak is on there, because I was under the impression that it wasn't an "approved" cut before. At least, that's what the Saslove's folks led me to believe...

2011 Feb 21
Very cool!

2011 Feb 21
It is pretty huge - 3' x 4' or there abouts. My wife has conceded that just about the only place we have wall space to hang it is right across from the toilet :-)

2011 Feb 22
Thanks Zym - I have already sent it off to a couple of friends who cut meat to show the loation of the Tri Tip roast !!! Sweet !!!

2011 Feb 22
It is not very clear from that chart really because it lists it in a completely different place than the sirloin tip, when in fact the tri tip comes attached to the sirloin tip when you take apart a hip. It is pretty hard to miss when taking apart a hip. I recognized it the very first time I saw it and I'd only ever had it described to me quite some time ago by a friend.

WHere do your friends cut meat? They may never even get to see that anyway.

2011 Feb 22
Thanks for the heads up. Tri Tip is such favorite cut of meat in the Soutern USA and I am surprise we do not see more of it available in Canada. Cooked low and slow is pretty amazing. One of my friends is currently at te Independent in Stittsville and another buddy has his own butcher shop in Thunder Bay that specializes in Wild game meats from Northern Ontario including Bear. Any idea why Tri Tip is not a sucessful cut here in Canada versus the USA??

2011 Feb 23
Today another freebie arrived - Commercial Beef Utilization Manual.

It is a ring bound manual 8.5 x 11 with plasticized pages. It seems to take each item in the chart and dedicate a whole page to it. It also has a smaller paper (non laminated) version of the chart.

Really nice all things told. I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow and solicit opinions. Will certainly be easier to study than the chart.