Vera's Burger Shack [General]

2011 Jan 11
still a quick note for anyone that hasn't had a chance to get to the Butchery in bells corners in their new location and try out Vera's Burger Shack.....gotta be one of the best burgers in ottawa.....oh and there fries are outstanding. be prepared to wait alittle at lunch time and fight for a table to eat at.

and for any CFL fans - side note is that Vera's Burger Shack is partly owned by Noah Cantor (former ottawa native, and played CFL for both Toronto and Vancouver) - Noah's brother and family operate the Butchery.

enjoy.

2011 Jan 12
Awesome! Did not know this great piece of Vancouver existed here in Ottawa! Now only if we could score a Japadog location!

2011 Jan 15
So many great burgers in Ottawa: Taylor's Genuine, The Works, Dick's are some of my favorites. Can someone please tell us why Vera's burgers are special? Are they worth the drive to Bell's corners? Or is it just an "if you're in the neighbourhood" kind of thing?

2011 Jan 15
Burgers are a personal thing, or at least they must be given the reviews I've read here. I was very disappointed with my dry and bland Dick's burger, and I have never had a really good one at The Works (last time I was there I gave up and had a poutine and a milkshake). Vera's was just a really properly done, juicy backyard-style burger, but I like it way more than what those other two places serve.

Best burger I've had in the past few years was at Jack Astor's (no kidding and go figure).

2011 Jan 15
It's worth the drive. Very good burger, fries, rings...but on top of that you have the bonus of checking out The Butchery, which is pretty cool. You'll surely find something to pick up while waiting for your burger. You can even buy the patties to BBQ at home...

I really like Dick's burgers/fries/rings as well...The Works rings are excellent, but I find their burgers get more praise for toppings and size than actual quality. They might just be too big to be the ideal burger...tough to balance that meat with toppings and bun, along with cook time...I still enjoy it, but find it's over-rated. I still recommend it to out-of-towner's though, just for shock factor and the cool menu.

2011 Jan 15
As chains go, I've had really good burgers at both Boston Pizza and Montana's as well. Next time I'm in Bells Corners though I think I owe it to myself to get Vera's!

2011 Jan 15
Vera's is one of those special places you have to make the trip for. the burgers are super fresh and juicy, the buns are toasted juice so......the toppings are endless including vera's special sauce. you bite in and it's a juicy, tasty, bite of happiness.....lol.....the fries are so crispy and homemade......mmmmm - ok i was just their friday and i won't to go back tomorrow.

and as bobby fillet said the actual butchery itself is the best butchery i've been to...service top notch, selection, quality, freshness etc.

2011 Jan 15
Don't forget to try Quinn's on Bank they make a very good as well.

2011 Jan 15
The Rochester has a decent burger, too.

2011 Jan 15
The burger on the lunch menu at Allium is un-frickin-believable. Rochester has a solid standard burger, and it's cheap!

2011 Jan 17
Vera's is good - hintonburger is better imho. I'm a west end guy and I'd make the trip past bell's corners to hintenburg for a burger fix.

2011 Jan 18
@KenV - STOP TELLING PEOPLE!!!!!!

Ken lies. ignore him. Quinn's burgers are nothing special. GO AWAY!
...dammit Ken we talked about this already...

Dick's burgers are really great but their onion rings are ambrosia'esque. That's a real word. Really.

Hintonburger's burgers are just amazing. Best use of a used car lot in the history of civilization.

All that said, I'm intrigued by Vera's based on this thread.

2011 Jan 18
Any place have a good veggie burger?

I like onion rings and want to try the Work's sometime.
In the west end before, near Dick's was a place called Briskets (it is a pho place now...owner retired).

They had awesome breaded mushrooms that were made fresh to order..and awesome fries (and smoked meat soup).

Any good places have a chicken burger?

I had dinner at Todric's last week and the lunch menu has a burger.
Their breakfast and dinner menu is good, but have not gone for lunch yet (they do have a veggie burger though :)

Lunch menu is at the bottom.

Burgers, served with French fries or home fries
Beef Burger $10.50
8 ounce of beef and seasoned with our Javanese house blend spices
Chicken Breast Burger $11.50
Full chicken breast seasoned with our Cajun house blend spices
Vegetarian Burger $9.50
Chick pea base, corn, green onion, and seasoning

2011 Jan 21
OK thanks people! made the trip out there today. We split a bacon cheeseburger and fries between two people and it was STILL too much food. Definitely worth the trip. Juicy burgers, although they were cooked a bit beyond the pink that was advertised. A small serving of fries could easily feed three people. I will go back.