I got a new Rice Cooker (my toy) [Cooking]

2007 May 5
My Panasonic rice cooker has requested for retirement after serving our family for more than 10 years (It stills works, but the non-stick coating in the inner pan is no longer good for use).

So, it is time to buy a new one. Initially, I wanted to buy Panasonic's very fancy rice cooker (model #SR-JHF18). This rice cooker uses Induction Heating techology with fuzzy logic to cook rice more thoroughly. It cooks regular rice, brown rice, glutinous rice, sushi rice, etc. Besides, the inner pan has charcoal coated layer that is better than non-stick coating.

www.panasonic-hk.com

Unfortunately, this model is only avaialble in 220V for Asian markets.

So, I decided to try Zojirushi's 10-cup rice cooker (model #NH-VBC18) which also uses induction heating method.

www.zojirushi.com

P.S. My toy cooks GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) BROWN rice. Do you know where I can buy GABA rice? Their website says that amino acid in brown rice believed to have health giving properties such as lowering blood pressure, improving kidney function and relieving stress. The brown rice is “activated” by soaking the rice at 104°F for 2 hours before the actual cooking begins.

2007 May 5
Those rice cookers look yummy, and a far cry better than the $10 one that I got from OEM Express. Yup, a computer store selling rice cookers.

I haven't been keeping up to date with the literature, but it may be that brown rice is just naturally high in GABA. It's unlikely that rice bred to be high in GABA, or supplemented with extra GABA, could be sold as rice in Canada without being approved as a novel food first.

Kind-of like how Vector is a meal replacement, and not cereal.

2008 May 8
Tokinaga and his older brother Masahide are coming to visit for the month of July and I need to find them a high-end Japanese rice cooker in May. Does anyone know of a store that sells these in Ottawa?

2008 May 8
I got a Betty Crocker rice cooker for $6. It works really well for all kinds of rice! That said, CA Paradis and a variety of asian gift shops in Chinatown sell high(er) end Zojirushi, Panasonic, Tiger, etc. models.

2008 May 9
Foodito - The selection of rice cookers at Global Homeware never ceases to amaze me. They're on Somerset Street, just west of Bronson (at Arthur?)