shallow frying tips? [Cooking]

2010 Nov 14
last night i made vegetarian egg rolls. to cook them, i shallow fried in a stainless steel wok using canola oil. i didn't know what i was doing and just winged it, but it worked out fine. i am wondering if there are any tips people could offer for the next time? i had to do them in batches, so i put the cooked ones in a warmed oven on a cookie sheet with a wire rack on top. the first batches were soft when served, which was disappointing to me (everyone else seemed fine with it).

also, i am currently straining the left over oil through coffee filters to get out the bits. any idea how long will this strained oil last? will it only be good for frying now?

thanks!

2010 Nov 14
My only two cents is this:

Heat your oven to 400F to keep the others crisp. It's sort of the same concept that oven ready, pre-fried frozen food uses like frozen french fries. The temps for such items range from 400-450 usually, which heats the oil in the product and kind of sustains the cooking process. If you worry about the eggrolls burning, leave them out for a bit and put them in the oven when you are closer to finishing up the frying process.

My other tip is just with oils- I love frying with peanut oil. A little more expensive than canola but the end product tastes a little better.

Definately don't use the oil for anything but frying as it will pick up the taste of whatever you fried. (I know you're veg but use only oil for fish on fish, or you end up with fishy tasting foods).

2010 Nov 15
Were your first batches crispy when they came out of the wok? The oil may not have been hot enough. You could get a fry thermometer so that you can monitor the oil temperature.

The strained oil will last quite a while if you keep it in a cool, dark place (wine bottles, the original container the oil was in, etc.) Usually you can smell and/or taste if it's gone rancid.

2010 Nov 15
When I've done springs roll either we eat them fresh, - like within 5 minutes or freeze them. As Pan Bagnat mentioned a hot oven usually crisps them up nicely. If you are trying to keep them for a while, I'd leave them out on some paper towel, then into a hot oven just before serving. Also second Momo's comments on oil, we've kept it for a long time - usually a sniff test will let you know if you want to use it again or not - if it smells bad, toss it.

I wish I had more time to do some spring rolls - usually only a once or twice a year activity for me. When we do it we do a larger quantity (~60)and freeze the leftovers.

2010 Nov 15
thanks for the tips!

i've strained the oil 4x through coffee filter, put it in a small mason jar and stuck it back in the cupboard. it smelled fine, so hopefully will be fine. my oven was set really low, so i think that is why they went soft after frying, next time i will try a hotter oven.

the first batch cooked way too fast, i think the oil was too hot. i just have a meat thermometer, so i knew it wouldn't work for the oil. i will get a higher temp thermometer next time.

any recommendation on what kind of wraps to use in the future? all i had was wing's eggroll wraps. i saw spring roll wraps - they were huge, but had never used them, so i stuck with wing's.

2010 Nov 15
Here are 2 things I learned about deep frying:
1)You NEED a oil/candy thermometer this will avoid the wrapper from turning dark too fast and the inside to be cooked properly
2)I use brown paper bags to drain as opposed to paper towel, I find that the final product is crispier. I keep the brown bags from LCBO and just cut them open :-)

2010 Nov 15
I have always used the spring roll wrappers, very crispy. They freeze well too. You will need to make a few before getting the hang of it, but it is easy. If you google, spring roll wrapping, you will find many tutorials.

Here is a recipe I like, and in the instructions, there is a link to YouTube on how to use the wrapper...

tastespace.wordpress.com

Good Luck!

2010 Nov 15
I've never made egg rolls, but we have made spring rolls using the Doll Brand spring roll wrappers and they've been awesome. They have two sizes, so if you wanted substantial egg rolls you could use the larger of the two.

I *think* we bought them at Kowloon Market, but it was so long ago I can't remember.

2010 Nov 16
I have no idea which spring roll wrappers we used, but we definitely use rice wrappers, not flour. The last time I bought them another gentlemen who seemed to know gave me a recommendation on which brand to buy. Usually asking at the counter works too.