Restaurant Inspections [Science]

2010 Nov 10
Hi,

Noticed a few "buzz" postings regarding non-compliances for certain restaurants. I don't agree with these postings, but I do think everybody should check inspection results on the City of Ottawa website before going to dine at a particular restaurant.

Sanitation of a restaurant is very important to me to most restaurant operators, however it isn't a priority of all. There is at least one restaurant that I no longer visit because of repeat critical non-compliances, and i'm sad because it was one of my favorites. At the same time, I can forgive a restaurant for non-compliances if compliance is achieved and maintained.

Here is the website:
www.ottawa.ca

2010 Nov 10
They are also on twitter as @restowatch. They send out a tweet whenever a new inspection report is filed.

2010 Nov 10
Now twitter seems to be a perfect venue for that. Thanks Pasta lover!

2010 Nov 10
@restowatch only tweets the critical deficiencies, and links to the city's report on that restaurant. They don't tweet every report.

2010 Nov 10
I always check now and unfortunately last year I got food poisoning from one place that apparently was not holding the hot dishes at the correct temperature.
I had some quiche and it was hot when it was brought to my house (mother brought it to me and picked it up as she was leaving and drove 5 minutes to here).

And I know my mother is ultra super picky about cleaning everything and food handling.
I have a feeling the quiche may have been left unrefrigerated overnight-but have no proof of this.
or maybe under the heat lamp too long?

Anyways I was doubled over in pain 10 minutes after eating and this lasted a good 12 hours of torture.
Now I can not eat quiche unless I make it myself, and if any restaurant has a quiche unrefrigerated I just walk out and will never eat there.
-happened in Montreal,went to a bakery, they had quiche on the counter and I left.

The place that made me ill was Green Door-too bad as I used to like the food there.
And oddly enough, even though I told my aunt quiche made me ill and to avoid egg dishes if she eats there, she went and had quiche this year and was really ill as well.

The only place I sometimes still get quiche at is Swiss Pastries-they always store them in the fridge.
But I do not like their quiche s much as usually there is ham in it and I prefer just vegetables.
But in 20+ years of getting quiche at Swiss Pastries, I have never been ill from anything there.

Green Door apparently has had many critical violations and to me that is a bit of a concern when you see a place have the same issues every few months.
not trying to bash Green Door too much, I do still like their bread and cookies.

2010 Nov 11
Um, food borne illness does not occur within 10 minutes of eating.

Green Door has been in compliance since May. It's had two violations this year, though the critical aspects were corrected during inspection. I'm just stipulated the offenses, since PTR thought to name names.

Honestly, I'm of the mind that OF users can go to the website (www.ottawa.ca) and get this information themselves. Unless the inspection has an impact on the ability of a vendor to serve their clientele, it's up to us whether or not we visit them and whether or not we care to look at their past two, five, or twenty-five inspections online.

So, yeah. The Green Door is still open. On the other hand, knowing that a vendor has been closed because of violations, that is useful.

2010 Nov 12
I agree with the OP, I don't visit repeat critical non-compliancers (is that a word?) nor will I post it on here.

I ate some leftover pork (that I kinda thought might be bad - I know, not very smart!) I had in my fridge and it came up almost right after I ate it. It did not cause any pain, but my digestive system knew it was bad and brought it back up. I felt perfectly fine all day on top of that and felt just fine afterwards and ate something else.

I've experienced food poisoning where it took about 5 hours for symptoms to begin, but when they did, they were horrid.

After my pork experience, I think that depending on the exotoxin, the symptoms are different and can begin at different times. On top of that, your body type can change that as well. Those with digestive diseases may experience something entirely different, including the timing.

Usually, if I find myself sick all of a sudden and did not notice anything funny about my food, I'm apt to call it a 24 hour bug. However, the times I have been sick, I noticed (or knew as in the pork case) something funny about my food. My dad was a chef so I've run things by him and he generally could tell me if the food was "off" looking. I've only purchased items twice in my life from vendors/restaurants where this happened.

Even the small 24 hour tummy bugs could be food borne, just not as bad as some others.

2010 Nov 12
I'll just add that it was last year I was ill from the food there.
And I'm pretty sure it was from that as I had nothing to eat since the night before..maybe some fruit at home.

I have had some bad reactions to food after 10 minutes of eating before, not food poisoning but there is some ingredients in Indian food and once in a chinese dish my friend had that made me super ill.

One Indian restaurant which I happen to like downtown (and still eat at), they have some sauces you can put on samosas and dishes- there is this bright green sauce, it is not spicy but every time I have eaten that I had mild breathing problems and had a terrible headache and dizziness.
I am not sure of the name of this seasoning,but know what it looks like.
It took me a few times of having that or another condiment to realize it was this.

Also had the same reaction to a dish in Chinatown my friend ordered.
He had a pork something or other with rice and a "red sauce" (this was a few years ago).
I had quite bad breathing problems,dizziness ect.
Can't remember what restaurant it was at,but I had eaten there before and not dishes with sauces and was fine.

Usually I do not have that many stomach issues.
A few times this year I did have to go to the Green Door (a family member likes it,could not be rude and refuse to go).
The only thing I eat there is bread,cookies and sometimes the avocado salad.

2010 Nov 14
Food poisoning is a bit of a misnomer. If food is bad (ie - has gone off) typically your body will chuck it up almost instantly. Leastwise, you will look to get rid of it as soon as your system detects it. This is particularly true of pork (cooked ham, cold cuts and so on) and eggs. Beware that mayo is mostly egg-based even if it is commercially made so those salads are not a great choice if you don't trust your restaurant. Your body is geared to help you expel food that is not suitable to eat.

Someone above talked about "exotoxin" - Exotoxin is actually excreted from bacteria and the reaction can take from hours to days. You need a build up of the bacteria in your system and it is the excreted matter that is actually acting as a toxin - ie poison. Your system has no way of dealing with that. The bacteria is putting severe poison into your system. It is no longer a bacterial infection, it is a case of poisoning.

E-coli is a good example - if you get a small dose your body will treat it as a bacterial infection and you will get sick and diarrhea and the whole thing will be over quite quickly (and unpleasantly). Sometimes however, and the source of mass poisoning (like the Water thing we had a few years back) the e-coli sits in the system and goes to work reproducing and as a part of its own digestive process is putting poison out that effectively attacks the body.

The dizziness and breathing problems outlined above - are allergic reactions. Whatever you're eating to get that - you need to stop. This is only going to get worse. Of course, finding what is the trigger for that sounds like it might be a bit of a challenge.

2010 Nov 15
Fishing for info-I do not eat any of those items with spices at all and am usually fine.
But for Indian food that means it sucks, I avoid all the spiced sauces and usually just stick to "fake" indian food that is fine.

By fake I mean like a tandoori wrap sandwich from Basmati- not weird spices in that,but it is tasty or else the chicken tandoori pizza or else just samosas.

Now for that incident with the quiche, all I can say is it did not stay in my stomach and I was rather ill from that.

2010 Nov 15
Wow... what a shame. I'm a huge fan of Indian.

It may not be the spice - could be the liquid side of the recipe (if its dairy based) - actually could be anything. Unfortunately, the only way you have of isolating what it is, is to eat and log until you've got a single ingredient or a manageable set of ingredients.

I was concerned because typically allergic reactions are not going to get better - they get worse the more you're exposed. And who knows where else that ingredient may show up?

2010 Nov 16
All I could know so far is that one of the ingredients is bright green-could be coriander? or something that is a green sauce.
When I see it I know what it it,but can not remember the name.

I also know I can not eat Vega vegan health bars.
Had a sample of one and it burned my mouth and I did not feel that great after eating it-was not a very bad reaction,but enough to make me not buy them.