International Food Pavilion at the Tulip Festival [General]

2010 May 15
Cross posted in what I ate last.

Went to the International food pavilion at the Tulip Festival. Tried a bunch of stuff. Love the Mexican Three Milk (Tre Leche) cake, and especially loved the Senegalese platter, which is new this year. The platter consists of, fried plantains, some fried bean thing with a delicious tomato sauce, peanut butter veggies, rice, some onion thing, and a lamb shank.

We're going back tomorrow just to eat the Senagalese platter. Totally recommend it.

2010 May 15
Oh. Man. If it's not raining, I am so there.

2010 May 21
Since I buy my lunch on Fridays I decided to forgo my favourite haunts this week and head over to Majors Hill Park. It was really hard to choose what to eat! Stalls included food from Mexico, Romania, Senegal, Thailand, the Ukraine, Holland (of course!), Japan, Peru (I think), and Turkey. I may be missing a country or two-;) I ended up picking the Senegalese combo platter since I have never eaten their foods before and, well, when am I going to get the chance after the Tulip Festival ends. Platters include either chicken or lamb. I ordered the lamb and I am so glad I did! The meat was very moist and just fell off the bone. It also came with two types of rice (one that looked like a pilaf and the other looked like fried rice), fried plantains (not a fan), a kind of potato curry (yum!), something that looked like carmelized onion and yellow pepper (a little sweet and it was REALLY good!), and two deep fried something balls (sorry I don't know what they were and I didn't like them too much - dry and flavourless). Except for the two items on the plate I didn't like the rest was really delicious. Oh! - and it looks like they serve Beau's. I look forward do doing a little more sampling this weekend-;)

On a not-really-foodie note I happened to get there when an Egyptian folk dancing show started so it was nice taking in a little entertainment while I was there. I saw some fiddlers from down east when I passed through the park during my lunch hour yesterday. I think there is a fee for admission in the evenings since the live bands start at that time. But admission is free during the daytime and there is still lots of entertainment and activities to do if you are looking forward to being outside this lovely holiday weekend. My only complaint is that the Tulip Festival is so short-;)