Baking Supplies [General]

2010 Mar 31
I feel as if this has been asked before, but a search didn't help...

I am going to be doing some heavy baking tomorrow, and I'm looking for a (hopefully) one stop shop for baking supplies. I need things like high quality cocoa powder, food colouring, baking cups etc... other than Artistic Cake Design, are there any such places in Ottawa?

2010 Apr 2
I would call first, especially since many/all shops are closed tomorrow, but Grace in the Kitchen has a lot of this stuff.
I hope you had luck today!

2010 Apr 2
Sadly Ottawa has very limited baking resources, I usually order my quality stuff on line from the States.

2010 Apr 2
I'm curious what you need to order from the US.

2010 Apr 5
Verona chocolate and cocoa powder.
Chocolate transfer sheets, can get them in TO for 3 times the price!
Many other decorating tools and decorations that are not available here in Ottawa and as above very expensive bought in Canada.
The upside of buying online is NO TAX
Most of the time no customs duty charged.

2010 May 1
Anyone have a source for sheets of parchment paper? I'm referring to the kind sold as a pile of individual sheets in a box, not rolls.

2010 May 1
I have also found some baking supplies in Gatineau at www.artisandudessert.ca/ It is, however, very similar to Artistic Cake Design in that they have some things (Callebaut chocolate in different formats - chips, blocks, powder), but not a wide variety of the more "fancy" items like cute decorative cupcake liners or decorative candy/sugar (they have some, but are often out of swtock or don;t carry a wide selection).

I also buy high quality cocoa or Callebaut chocolate either at the Bagelshop (or Wellington)or at Aladdin roasters (on St-Joseph boul., in Hull - they roast coffee beans and nuts and also have a gourmet grocery section (épicerie fine).

Cakelady, do you mind sharing where you buy your baking supplies online?

2010 May 1
i bought blocks of callebaut at kardish in the glebe. they were selling all their bulk at 30% one day. not sure what the regular price is.

2010 May 1
I think I have seen sheets at CA Paradis on Bank in old Ottawa South. It was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure if they still carry them.

2010 May 1
Snellings Paper & Sanitation carries boxes of parchment paper.

2010 May 2
I was just wondering if anyone on here uses Fair Trade chocolate? We each have our food philosophy - mine includes using fair trade ingredients, especially chocolate and coffee. The people that do the brunt of the labour for these industries are practically slave labour. I believe that these items are luxuries and although the fair trade items may cost a bit more or not be considered 'the best', I will pay a bit more or eat/drink a bit less so I don't support this type of economy. I realize that this is not going to save the world or anything so dramatic but it does mean that I can enjoy my indulgences with a clearer conscience. I recommend Carol Off's book "Bitter Chocolate", it's an education.

2010 May 3
Bulk Barn locations carry Callebaut wafers in both dark or milk (bulk).
They also sell parchment paper (roll only). They have a line of Wilton cake decorating products (bags, tips, pans, etc, colouring chocolate wafers, etc).
They have ruddy red cocoa powder 22/24% fat and carry baking cups, food colouring and flavours.

2013 Jan 21
Anybody know where I can buy 50lb bags of baking soda in ottawa?

2013 Jan 22
SpiceRack. Careful buying that much baking soda at once. The RCMP may come vist you. You see, illegal motorcycle clubs and others wanting to make crack cocaine buy large quantities of baking soda.

baking soda + cocaine (powder) + water + heat = crack cocaine

2013 Jan 22
just keep the receipt and offer the mounties some of the goodies!

2013 Jan 25
Flourconfections in Pickering have a good selection of greaseproof cupcake liners and other baking supplies. Their shipping is reasonable and they have Paypal. Does anyone have an idea where can I get big blocks of Callebault locally?

2013 Jan 25
tamjai if you can wait there's a Bernard Callebaut store opening at 256 Dalhousie in the Market in the next week or two. See #6 at www.ottawacitizenstyle.com
Maybe it's already open???

2013 Jan 25
tamjai:I bought some tools from Flourconfections in Pickering earlier this month, they had a great sale. I like this store!
Golda's kitchen sells callebaut
www.goldaskitchen.com
Loccaly...I am not sure but I will ask chefs.

I saw your pictures... oh my god,they are so beautiful! Cupcakes! Icing works!!

I am also going to study gum paste to make flowers:) It's fun, isn't it!!

2013 Jan 25
I am looking for a local source for white wheat flour--www.bobsredmill.com used to use the King Arthur brand when I lived in the states, but the only place I can find that here in Canada is at Whole Foods (sometimes). Any place in Ottawa that anyone has seen it?

2013 Jan 25
I've bought Bob's Red Mill products at Farm Boy and at Foodsmiths in Perth. Not sure if they have the specific one you are looking for.