Chee Cheong Fun [General]

2010 Mar 17
I have these things at a restaurant on somerset. The restaurant is called "Yang Sheng". On the menu, they are called "steamed rice noodle with.." u can get them with BBQ prok, beef or shrimp. I've been addicted to these things for a long time. Many may find their appearance unappetizing, and so did I when I first tried them, but they are delicious. I tried to find a recipe for them. I think they are also called Chee Cheong Fun, I could be wrong though.

So I have two questions for the great ottawa foodie community:

1. Anyone have a good recipe and tips on how to make this from scratch?

2. Anyone know of another restaurant that makes these?

2010 Mar 17
They have them on the Dim Sum menu at Palais Imperial. I had some last weekend. Good, but a bit hard to eat with chopsticks... maybe there is a trick to it that I don't know.

2010 Mar 18
Isabelle, Thank you! Maybe they are more common than I think. I haven't tried that many different chinese places. And yeah... a bit tricky with the chopsticks. It's a good chopstick training food ;-)

2010 Mar 18
They are available at all the dim sum places in Ottawa: Yantze, Palais, Mandarian.... It is my favourite too actually! I would love to know how to make it and what is the sauce, it taste like a light soya sauce with something added to it...not sure.

2010 Mar 18
lol, boy I guess I don't get around enough haha. I'll have to do Dim Sum soon. Is it called Chee Cheong Fun? I found some recipes online with some step by step photos but ideally I'd like to get some tips from someone who's made it. And yeah, the sauce is hard to figure out. sort of sweet soya eh? Ok I think I have to go get some at lunch now!!!

2010 Mar 18
I found this: cookinggallery.blogspot.com

I have always called it shrimp rice rolls...

2010 Mar 18
I call them "the white things" haha

Thanks for the link! that looks like the stuff alright.

Here are the sights I found:
lilyng2000.blogspot.com
mycookingescapades.blogspot.com

2010 Mar 18
Ymmm! I want some now! Chopper; the first one to make it has to post pics and a review of how it went.

2010 Mar 18
It's a deal! ready, set GO!!!

2010 May 6
This was a success and easy enough to make. It's a poor picture, but it's I have...

2010 May 7
Awesome! how did you make the sauce?

2010 May 7
Looks like a mixture of hoisin and soy. Add some sesame paste and you're set!

2010 Aug 3
Tried this last night. Only moderate success... The noodle was kind of stiff and broke when rolled. Also it was more starchy that glutenous... What was the recipe that you used? and what kind of Rice Flour?...

2019 Jul 17
They are called Cheung Fun

Here are the recipe:

For the homemade cheung fun rice noodles:

Makes eight 10×10” rice noodle sheets
•1 1/2 cups rice flour
•3 tablespoons tapioca starch
•2 tablespoons wheat starch
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for greasing the pan
•1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
•1 cup boiling water

For the cheung fun dipping sauce:

This dipping sauce can be served with both of these rolls.
•2 teaspoons sugar in the raw or light brown sugar
•½ cup water
•2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
•2 tablespoons oyster sauce