Hamburger buns (got a craving ...) [Recipes]

2007 Mar 18
for hamburgers! been eating them all week and posting here about them.

don't have any buns so first I gotta bake some buns!

beef from a local farmer, of course!

mmmmm, hamburgers.

2007 Mar 18
Baked these up tonight as Hamburger Buns. Made it up as I went along.

Mix, and nuke til 35C (do not go over 40C)
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 x tblsp olive oil
- 2 x tsp salt
- 0.5 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons honey

Sprinkle on 5 teaspoons yeast, let set 15 minutes.

Mix in 1 cup barley flour, 2 cups unbleached white wheat flour (was out of whole wheat). Mix in Kitchen Aid with batter beater, 5 minutes. Pre-heat oven to lowest setting, then turn it off and put in mixing bowl to rise the sponge 30 minutes.

Remove from oven, add 1 cup barley flour, 1 cup wheat flour and knead well with dough hook. Introduce up to 4 x 1/4 cup wheat flour, one at a time, kneading 4-5 minutes between each one before deciding whether or not to add the rest. This time was 3 x 1/4 cup.

Makes about 1400g of dough.

Form into 10-12 (140g-115g respectively) like-sized balls (shown are the 140g buns) and place onto cookie sheet that has parchment paper on it. Rub each one with olive oil just enough to cover lightly, put back into warmed (but off) oven for up to 30 minutes until they rise to desired size, then remove from oven.

Preheat oven to 390F (convection). Remove top layer of parchment paper from buns and bake 15 minutes then turn off convection and bake 5 more.

Top crust is extremely dry and hard at this point, so take a few tablespoons of butter from the fridge in one big chunck and hold in between your thumb and forefinger as you spread it over the entire top surface of each bun, being sure not to miss any spots.

Let buns set 5 minutes before serving, at which point the crust will be firm but supple, and extremely yummy with a small amount of built-in butter.

EDIT : Oh yeah, and here are the burger I made to go with it.

www.ottawafoodies.com/food/3

2007 Mar 18
Oh man, these are beautiful! When it comes to burgers good buns are so hard to find. Making your own is an awesome thing to do.

2007 Mar 18
even better when they are Barley Buns!

mmmmmm, beer ingredients!

2008 Feb 10
I got another craving today so hauled out this recipe. Though of course I have to change it since I don't have any barley flour.

Mmmmmm, burgers ...

2008 May 30
Why did this thread not get picked up when searching on "buns"?

2008 May 30
The search is capped at a certain number of results (going back in time) so if you want to look farther back you have to use a more specific search term. "Hamburger buns" would have found it right away.

Now that this topic has been bumped, it appears as the first result in a search for "buns".

EDIT: If you see the phrase "Your search returned many results." at the bottom of the search results, then you know that some older results were ignored.

2008 May 30
Fresh Foodie - ... As always thanks for the helpful information. I never knew about the "many results" reply. Part of the reason I inquired about being able to do a time sensitive search in the Forum (which you recently implemented, and I got to say I've loved it when I've needed it). As this site gets larger it is good to know there are more than one way to find information / historical data.

2008 May 30
Speaking of burgers, we have recently broken down and purchased a Big Green Egg and hubby did burgers (homemade patties of course with 80% lean, the butcher actually ground up brisket for the meat!) homemade buns. Very yummy. He cooked them on high (650 or so each side a couple of minutes) then lowered the heat to finish. I had forgotten how good food tastes cooked over real hardwood charcoal, instead of gas. We are having lots of fun experimenting with this new toy.

2008 Jun 4
Foodntravel - How do you find the Big Green Egg? Considering I've never cooked with charcoal before, I figure this is the one way that I'll learn how to. Is it easy to adjust the heat on the thing?

Good thing home ownership is probably 4-5 years away right now anyway. I'll be able to afford one then!

2008 Jun 4
We love the BGE. It is very easy to adjust the heat, two little vents that control the airflow to the charcoal. It is very fast to heat up probably as fast or faster than the gas grill... and the taste is amazing. Even grilling something without wood chips it has a great flavour. We have done burgers, whole chicken (low and slow), very good, steak, pork loin and our fav PIZZA. I am taking a wood oven pizza making course from my bread making idol, Peter Reinhart, and can't wait to try after I take the course.

2010 Aug 2
Mmmm

2010 Aug 2
Cannot have buns without burgers!

2010 Aug 2
"You did not really make it very clear what that is supposed to be a picture of, but let me tell you this - it is one of the most unappetizing looking things I have ever seen. Maybe it is just the picture but it looks pretty disgusting actually. Sure as heck does not look like [hamburgers]."

Just testing your sense of humour! :-) (ref: Pizza)

The buns look spectacular!

2010 Aug 2
Hey now, no fair! I made those hamburgers! I did not buy them in a store!

And by the way, I did not squish the burgers with the spatula :)

And besides I was being honest, not flippant or mean. If you had not told me that picture was supposed to be pizza, there is no way I would have known. Honestly. Maybe it is my mild colourblindness but it just looked like brown sludge dumped on top of something in a box.

EDIT: The picture you posted is immediately recognizable as pizza. Even one of those gross ones I do not like that is smothered in an inch of cheese, is immediately recognizable as pizza.

2010 Aug 2
Oh, note to self :

buns were weighed out as 83g of dough each. My recipe makes an even kg of dough, and that makes an even dozen of buns. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.

burgers were 100g each which sizes them just right for aforementioned buns. The last bit of beef I weighed out at 150g, but instead of doing one bigger burger I did 2 smaller ones at 75g each. In hindsight I should have weighed the whole mass ahead of time and then did them all the same size at 103g or whatever it would have been.