Where to buy affordable salmon eggs? [General]

2010 Feb 23

I would like to find out where Ottawa restaurants get their supply of salmon (or trout) eggs? I've tried to ask at many asian markets and they only seem to have the coloured lump caviar (the small eggs, full of chemicals...), which is not what I am looking for. They have salmon eggs at Lapointe but the price is so ridiculously high that I am better off getting a small jar in Montreal for less.

If you know a source, please let me know!!

2010 Feb 23
So you are looking for Ikura?

Try Russian grocery stores in Ottawa.
My friends buy ikura at the Russian store near Ikea. Another one is on Carling Avenue. Sorry I don't know the name of the store and address.

2010 Feb 23
Aisu's second mention is, i think, Stolichni Deli?

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1630

2010 Feb 23
...and the one near IKEA is Lacomca Lacomca Deli

2010 Feb 24
I have been to the deli near IKEA and find there prices very reasonable. They have cans of salmon roe but they also have (at least when I have been there) 2 quality levels of salmon roe available in bulk. I find the bulk to be great given that you can get exactly what you need.

cheers

2010 Feb 25
Just don't get the frozen kind. Canned would be better.

2010 Feb 25
I agree w/ the store near IKEA, Lacomca. They are great and the quality of salmon roe is excellent. Not the same price you'd pay in Brighton Beach in NY .. but for Ottawa it's a good price.

2011 Jan 25
I actually just signed up to this site to say THANK YOU SO MUCH

I've been wanting a place to buy Ikura for SO SO LONG!! And it's a 10 minute walk from my house!! As if!!

2011 Jan 28
Hey New User 3487 I hope we see you here regularly.

The referrals on this site are awesome. I don't know how many times fellow foodies have directed me to a local establishment who had what I needed. I found out about Lacomca on this site several years back and have been going ever since.

Cheers