Beef Stroganoff recipe.... [General]

2010 Jan 28
I’m looking for a very traditional recipe for beef stroganoff, with no shortcuts involved (i.e: cans of soup/gnd beef etc.) My searches on the internet haven’t exactly turned up what I am looking for...anyone have a Russian grandmother?

2010 Jan 28
Not quite sure what you had in mind, the most traditional stroganoff I ever had was just a fried steak with a stock, sour cream, and mustard sauce.

This BBC recipe is as good as any:
www.bbcgoodfood.com

That's about as exciting as the traditional recipe gets, my girlfriend's grandmother would be shocked by the parsley though.

2010 Jan 28
Hey, when I get home, I'll look in my Larousse. I'm pretty sure it's there.

No pickled cucumber? Or at least dill? Hrmmm. And a steak? I've only seen it cubed or julienned and there is some debate as to which one is more authentic.

2010 Jan 28
Here is one Paraphrased from Cooks Ill. Don't forget to temper the cream.

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 ounces white button mushrooms , wiped clean and halved if small, quartered if medium, cut ino sixths if large
table salt
ground black pepper
3/4 pound beef tenderloin (about 2 fillets), cut into 1/8-inch strips
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 small onion , minced (1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup sour cream

1. Cook mushrooms over high heat without stirring for 30 seconds; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to medium bowl.

2. Return skillet to high heat, add oil if needed coat. Sauté meat. Make sure that strips do not touch. Cook without turning till well browned on first side. Turn strips over and cook till well-browned. Add Meat to mushrooms.

3. Add beef broth to skillet & deglaze. Reduce ¼ cup. Add broth to mushrooms/beef. Wipe skillet clean.

4. Skillet @ medium heat melt butter. Add onion, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Sauté till onion is lightly browned and softened.
Stir in flour until incorporated.
Whisk in chicken broth and wine, bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Whisk liquid from mushrooms and beef into sauce and simmer to incorporate.

Stir about 1/2 cup of hot sauce into sour cream, then stir mixture back into sauce.

Add mushrooms and beef; heat to warm through.
Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper

=

2010 Jan 28
*Top Sirloin or Sirloin Tip cut in stips, season with S&P saute in Vegetable Oil
*Meanwhile Saute Onions & Mushrooms in Butter
*Add Onions and Mushrooms to the Meat
*Add 1 Cup of Sour Cream (simmer slowly so as to heat thru)
*Serve over Noodles

Variations...

*Some folks like to add Beef Broth, Stock or even alcohol to the Veggies (Cognac, Vodka and Wine are favourites).
*Button mushrooms (even canned) can give this dish a "nice look".
*Some areas of Eastern Europe season the meat with Hungarian Paprika & Garlic Salt.
*Some areas of Eastern Europe add Dijon Mustard to the Sour Cream Mixture.
*After dressing the plates, some folks add parsley or dill ontop for colour.
*Some recipes call for Red Wine or Tomato Paste, but this will result in a sauce with a pronounced red colour... considered by some to be not traditional.

Anyways, point is there are a lot of "local" customs when it comes to this dish (or Gramma's favourites). It is a dish you can have fun experimenting with... Some people like the sauce thin, others thicker. One thing everyone agrees on is good sour cream makes a difference... low fat makes a disappointing sauce.

A good base recipe can be found in the Joy of Cooking

*NOTE - Photo is not mine... but it does look similar to my recipe results.

2010 Jan 29
Thanks a lot guys, I think I will follow a bit of a hybrid of all your suggestions...dredged and browned oxtail braised in white wine, onions, mushrooms, finish with sour cream maybe some mustard. Looking forward to it!

2010 Jan 29
Hey Trachinho,

I was looking through my Larousse and it's there. Unfortunately I'm at work and I can't remember the exact recipe, but I know it called for dill, either as a herb or as a pickled cucumber.

2010 Feb 1
As a quick update, I ended up braising two jointed, dredged and browned oxtails in dry riesling for about 6 hours at 215F with some roughly chopped celery, carrots and dried wild mushrooms. I let the oxtails cool, separated all the meat and then mixed that with diced onions, sliced cremini/button mushrooms that had been sauteed in butter. Once that heated through again I stirred in some full fat sour cream, and served it over buttered egg noodles. I can say that it was hit, thanks for all the info and tips!