Boudin noir for home use? [Food/Vendor]

2010 Jan 15
Yup, it's Friday afternoon, so I'm dreaming about food.

At some point this winter I want to cook boudin noir (French blood sausage) in the comfort of my own home. Preferably with apple and mashed potatoes (but not as fancy as the one pictured here from Bouchon, I'll wager.)

One problem is that I haven't seen it available anywhere. OK, maybe there was that one time it was at Hartman's, but I'm kind of scared of buying blood sausage at Hartman's, you know?

A quick search of this site has indicated that they have boudin noir on sale at Moulin de Provence, but I suspect it's pre-cooked.

I presume that The Sausage Kitchen may have it, or Aubrey's, but wouldn't mind confirmation before I make the trek out.

Suggestions?

2010 Jan 15
This sounds like a good topic for Woten, I know he's familiar with the boudin noir...

Momo - give them a call before trekking out to avoid disappointment, I know that Produce Depot has it from time to time but it looks ultra sketchy.

2010 Jan 15
Momomoto They do in fact have blood sausage at the Moulin de Provence but you might want to call first since their selection of sausages, pâtés, etc. seems to be shrinking everytime I visit which is usually once a week. The only other place I can think of off the top of my head is Lavergne Beef. They don't have a website so I can't verify their product listings so you might want to call first. Maybe some foodies on the Quebec side knows of somewhere in Gatineau that sells boudin noir?... Good luck in your search.

2010 Jan 15
I know I have seen boudin available at the Metro on Beechwood. I have also seen large slices of it available in supermarkets in Gatineau.

2010 Jan 16
Mmmm, Now I have a craving for boudin noir too... Let us know your findings...

2010 Jan 16
Ahhh boudin aux deux pommes, quite possibly my favourite dish! I have had little luck in ottawa finding good fresh blood sausages. I usually stock up when I am in MTL and have a feast as soon as I return home. Sausage Kitchen has polish style blood sausages which are good (stuffed with buckwheat i believe, almost closer to a morcilla). When my cravings are overwhelming I will buy the Taliffer? branded ones at the supermarket fresh counter; not the best by far but it does the job in a pinch.

Anyone know where to get fresh blood chorizos in town?

2010 Jan 18
I love a good boudin. I will usually fry them with a nice fatty pork sausage at the same time. An other suggestion, I will usually cut them in half inch to an inch thick patties, I find it makes them crisper that way and quite an enjoyable texture.

You can try calling these guys www.lamaisonbisson.com/ they can get you harder to find cuts... why not pick up a Cervelle de veau at the same time! haha

(I just called them and they have 2 packs of fresh boudin noir left!) Good luck!

here is the address. 2 Boulevard Des Grives, Hull, QC - (819) 772-0702

2010 Jan 18
Bisson! I hear they are exceptional...

2010 Jan 18
They are ;)