Are there shills, and should we out them? [General]

2007 Mar 5
Hi All,

I've come across the first review that I think might be a shill. The comments are all sort of 'third person', and it reads more like an advertisement than a review. The review in question is the one of Metropolitan Brasserie by 'New User 174'. ( www.ottawafoodies.com ) Thoughts anyone?

2007 Mar 5
I am with you on that one. Very suspect.....

(I worry that sometimes my reviews are a little too glowing and that people are going to think I am somehow connected to the restaurant, but I hope that reviewing all my posts in general would help to dispel that...)

2007 Mar 5
I agree as well - good eye! I had previously skimmed through that post and didn't 'trip' but now that I re-read, it does read like advertising! This will be a tricky one for Fresh Foodie - does this site have an electronic tar and feather section? :)

2007 Mar 5
I wondered about that review when I first read it, but I'm not entirely convinced it's a shill. Maybe they think they need to write like that in order for their review to sound like, well, a review!

Of course, they haven't commented on anything else or voted on anything else since that review. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

2007 Mar 5
Yeah it is written a little oddly, however what makes my think it's NOT a shill is that they describe the service as "friendly and relaxed". In my experience shilling restaurant owners don't think of "relaxed " as the number one thing to advertise as "relaxed" can mean "slow" or "too casual" to some people- adjectives more like "excellent", "outstanding", "prompt" or "quick" come to mind first. Just my two cents.

2007 Mar 5
I've hinted before that I plan to put in some means of avoiding abuse -- possibly by flagging comments as "questionable" or something like that. I might even eventually delete comments made by one-time posters (people who sign up for an account to post just one "questionable" comment).

Discussions like this one are worthwhile though. It keeps everyone on their toes a bit! ;-)

2007 Mar 6
Good point HOT. It's just that that review, of the hundreds I've read on this site stuck out. I wanted to start a discussion, not start the lynching of New User 274. Ultimately we won't know if he/she is a shill until they step up to defend themselves, or better yet post more, and shall we say more detailed reviews. (Also, was sort of fun being the first on OF to accuse someone of shilling. I thought I'd see TJ do it first.. but I guess he's sleeping.) If I had to post a crazy theory, with absolutely no way to substantiate, I'd guess that 274 wasn't the owner, but rather the bartender. Oh yeah.. the other thing that caught my eye, was the timing of the review, which was just subsequent to a couple bad reviews of the place. Shills, I would guess are most likely to be the first post of a place, or the 'good' review after a string of poor ones..... Of course, either, or both of us could just go there, sit at the bar, order the manager's choice of wine, and steak and see for ourselves ;-)

2007 Mar 6
Pete-In-Ottawa, yours isn't the first shilling accusation though... check out this old topic: ottawafoodies.com/forum/65 ;-)

Funny that you mention TJ because he joined right around the time people were looking for someone to burn for promoting TJ Pagoda's. Some were skeptical about TJ's credentials but I think we all respect him now after his many useful contributions. :-)

Also, I look over all new users' names and email addresses to try and spot obvious false accounts. This ensures at least a basic level of sanity.