Wine Rack Stores [Food/Vendor]

2009 Aug 7
Ok, so when I was doing research to create the Vendor Page for the Wine Rack - Wine Rack - I came across this Blog (Quotulatiousness) - www.bolditalic.com and a Quote that is attributed to Micheal Pinkus (the Grape Guy from ontariowinereview.com) and I think that it sums up the whole situation quite well.

I too have to ask... Why are these foreign owned, multi-zillion dollar franchises still allowed to exist when they no longer do anything to meet the original concept of promoting Ontario Wines (cellared in Ontario... give me a break... and don't even get me started on "Arbor Mist").

We either have to scrap this unfavourable advantage that this gives the big mega-corporate foreign owned wineries (which is so unfair to the small winery) or we open up the market to every Ontario winemaker.

2009 Aug 7
Well, I don't buy any "Cellared in Canada" plonk, whether it's from Vincor or anybody else.

Yes, it's a shame that a US-owned corporate giant has such an advantage in our marketplace, while small locally-owned wineries (like Stonechurch) are going belly-up. The answer is to allow private VQA stores, selling exclusively Ontario products, like they have in BC. The provincial government has supposedly been studying this, but it is claimed that such stores would violate the terms of NAFTA. BS, say I... we should be pushing McGuinty & co. to find a way to make it happen.

2009 Aug 8
Why not just have specialty wine shops?

2009 Aug 8
That gives me a small bit of hope for beer - nobody listens to beer drinkers but seem to listen to wine drinkers.

2009 Aug 9
Keir - Any wine lover would tell you that would be the "ultimate"... however the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) along with our good friends at the LCBO would never let that happen (at least as far as I can see)... our best best is for the Ontario consumer to push for the Wine Rack stores to be required to meet the Requirement that they were originally mandated for - promoting Ontario wines... only this time having them "open" to all wines made in Ontario (or in the very least the VQA brands)... as opposed to the current situation where the are just promoting the old Vincor group (which quite frankly has enough of a marketshare as it is...). And now are an "offshore" interest, same thing with The Beer Store many think they should be disbanded as they too now are not a Canadian company... and only sell the beer they represent (example Labatts is now owned by Interbrew out of Belgium).

Zym - Yes, Ontario with its puritan leftovers (strong prohibitionists) will probably never see the more open market that exists in Quebec when it comes to wine & beer, but if this niche can be pushed back to promote Ontario Wine (and hopefully market every licensed Ontario winemaker's wares not just the VQAs) then there certainly would be an argument for stores (maybe even the same store) fronting wine for local microbrews. Anything would be better than the current situation where you have to go to the Winery / Brewery to buy most of their line (or at least the specialty products... Like Beau's Seasonal Brews or a Winery's small batch wines). As much as I like my visits to Niagara, they come with a price (vacation time & money) and quite a bit of effort... it would be nice to have a store here in Ottawa where I could buy what I want without all the "hoops" that the AGCO / LCBO throw up to get Ontario wine delivered to me, or the alternative the 600 Kms to go to the Winery.

PS... I'm not as up to date on the Beer lover's concerns... so I apologize if I didn't get all my facts straight for Keir (if need be... feel free to explain).

2009 Aug 9
Oh I wish we had private wine stores. It's our dream to open our on wine shop.

Don't get me started on the Wine Rack. The only thing I buy there is the occasional bottle of red plonk if I don't have one at home that's suitable to cook with.

We should really consider doing a OF winesharing program or something. We can easily order a case from Konzelmann, but I have a hard time making a whole case from other wineries.

2009 Aug 9
Nanook - Oh how I'd too would love to open a wine shop (or even work part-time for one that really represented the Ontario small winemaker).

Great idea about an OF Winesharing Program (buying power). I'd certainly be in on some purchases.

2009 Aug 10
F&T - I'm not that familiar with Wine Rack stores. What is the split between Non-VQA and VQA wines? 80/20, 20/80?

2009 Aug 10
Urbanroutine - To be honest I don't know (not in those stores often enough)... just based on the info that was provided in the Quoted article attributed to Michael Pinkus (The Grape Guy). Do know that there are indeed "Cellared in Ontario" wines and now that "Arbor Mist" stuff... Both serious mistakes IMO from a "wine" perspective.

Think I need to actually make an intentional visit and check out what's what.