Pepsi "Aquafina" admits to bottling tap water [General]

2009 Jun 10
For you bottled water aficionados out there.

www.alternet.org

There was another one in the news last week but I don't recall which company it was.

2009 Jun 10
Thank you for that Rip Van Winkle. :)

2009 Jun 10
Zym - LOL, that might explain why I never liked the "taste" of that particular bottled water... I usually source mine from Ontario (where I actually know there is a spring).

2009 Jun 10
Is this supposed to be a surprise? The whole business/marketing model of Aquafina is that it's super duper filtered water ( filtered, reverse osmosis, you name it they got it). I think I'd be more offended if they were telling me it was spring water (which they don't do) and filtering all the mineral goodness out of it. I'll stick with my San Pelligrino... till PepsiCo buys it that is ;-)

2009 Jun 10
Thanks for reminding me Zym - I've been meaning to bring a glass into work so I can use the water cooler.

2009 Jun 10
We've got a water cooler at work right next to the faucet. I use the faucet thank you very much. The big bottles really are not much better than the little ones, all told.

2009 Jun 10
Pete, I hate to break it to you, but San Pellegrino already belongs to Nestle -- one of the few food companies that makes PepsiCo look like small fry. ;-)

2009 Jun 10
I think our water cooler is hooked up to the tap - I'm pretty sure it's just colder and filtered. It doesn't have a jug on top of it. It's just a small white box next to the sink with a red tap and a blue tap.

I would imagine that the big bottles are no better than the little ones, yes ;)

2009 Jun 11
Ah.. sorry Zym.. I just noticed the original article was from August 2007... that could be why it doesn't look 'new' to me. I frankly don't know what the bottles said back then, but their website (and others) are pretty clear it's 'public sourced' water. As for S.P... I think I might have known that FF.. but had blocked the traumatic knowledge from my memory.

2009 Jun 11
Interesting enough :) I actually can't stand the taste of Dasani water either.

At my place we do have a water cooler, and I drink from it - mainly because our water tastes like crap. Oh and also the tap water kills plants - so I don't want to know what it is doing to me.

When I used to live out in the country I loved my tap water, oh how I miss it now.

2009 Jun 12
At my work we actually had a glass bottle for the cooler--after many years it gave up the ghost--could probably find one on e-bay but no one has tried. Clients still use the plastic cooler but staff all draw out of the tap--directly from a well. Having said that--well water must be tested regularly for parasites, e.coli, chemicals, minerals, etc.! No chlorine! It can taste fine and still not be safe. BTW--the city will test for basics for no fee--I personally check for a few extras for my personal well water. And i have never used plastic--hopefully my glass has been lead free.