Does anyone know where I can find.... [Food/Vendor]

2009 Jun 3
Nutritional yeast and Okara (soybean pulp) in Ottawa? I tried the bulk barn with no luck. I have tried calling around to a few asian markets and they dont know what im talking about. Please help. And need both these products for a veggie burger recipe that I want to make. I went ahead and bought soy beans to make the milk toget the okara..but I would much rather just buy the okara if possible then having to go through the trouble of making the milk just to get it.

Thanks

2009 Jun 3
They sell Nutritional yeast at House of Nutrition and at Kardish.

As for soy bean pulp I would try Rainbow Foods on Richmond or perhaps Herb and Spice.l

2009 Jun 3
Nutritional yeast can be found at Herb & Spice as well, if I remember correctly. Okara might be found at Rainbow Foods on Richmond Rd, in the back corner of the store near where the gluten free baked stuff can be found along with the seaweed, miso, etc...

2009 Jun 3
Thanks so much for your help. I will call those places and see if they have them. I live on the other side of the city..so I think I will call before going there.

Thank you both!

2009 Jun 3
Shawty613, in case it saves you a trip x town, i'll mention i found nutritional yeast at Lowblaws / Superstore. Look in the health food section.

2009 Jun 3
Well I called both herb and spice and rainbow food. Herb and spice has the nutritional yeast. Neither stores have the Okara :( I'm getting the feeling I will have to make the milk which I really dont want to do

2009 Jun 3
Thank you itchy feet. Thats great. I really dont want to go all the way downtown for it..haha thanks!

2009 Jun 3
you're welcome. i should add, though, that i found it in the Westboro SS, so perhaps i haven't saved you a trip after-all ... better call your local store, i guess.

btw, its the Bob's Red Mill variety.

2009 Jun 3
I will thank you. I just really hope someone on here knows where I can buy Okara for sure. I really dont want to go through all the milk making process to get it lol

2009 Jun 3
I can't remember having seen Okara anywhere, but assuming you're on the east side of town (?), perhaps you can try Win Tai?

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1684

They have an ok selection of Japanese (and Chinese, etc.) goods ... maybe they've got Okara (even if they don't know it by that name)?

I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

Another avenue might be to contact the Gatineau-based Soyarie?

ottawafoodies.com/vendor/1629

And if no-one sources it, perhaps you've got a potential business venture? :-)

2009 Jun 3
Hahah maybe.lol Thanks for the tips

2009 Jun 3
not to seem like i'm more obsessed about this than you ... but as one further mention i just had a conversation w/ a friend who echoes the Soyarie suggestion.

Not only is it generated as a byproduct from Tofu (Soyari's biz ... so they may have it in abundance), but my friend mentions knowing people in the Japanese community who've actually purchased Okara for special events in the past. So, at least, they (Soyari) will probably know what you're referring to. :-)

And not that this necessarily matters to your recipe at this point in time, one added benefit of Soyari is their use of organic / non-gmo beans. A downside may be their Gatineau location ... perhaps there's other local tofu producers you can look up?

2009 Jun 3
No that is great thanks. Ive actually been searching as much as i could on the net trying to find anything with no luck haha. So yah that might be worth a shot. My sister goes down to Gatineau every once and a while to see a friend. So maybe next time she goes I will get her to stop by there.

Thanks so much for your help!!! I really appreciate it!