Best way to transplant indoor seedlings [General]

2009 Apr 16
Here's a question for the gardeners...

I have started a bunch of herbs and salad greens from seed in little makeshift "greenhouses" of egg cartons covered with clear plastic bags located in a sunny window. Things have progressed nicely and I have a bunch of robust seedlings that will be ready to go outside in 3-4 weeks. I plan to wait at least until it doesn't dip below 5-6 degrees at night before starting to transplant into various types of containers.

Any tips on how to prep seedlings for the big move outdoors? Last year I had some trouble with the process so I would welcome any suggestions on how to do it successfully. Thanks in advance.

2009 Apr 16
I don't really kknow alot but i did the same last years and had bad results lol. But i got told to but herbs a place were its sunny but not to much, so like there has to be a bit of shade at the end of the day. And good soil, nothing to dry. Take good care of them, don't let them grow mature and wild...

2009 Apr 16
Coincidence! I was reading up on that last night in my gardening magazines and they suggest exposing your plants daily to a dose of mild wind. They say it makes them stronger when the time comes to transplant outside. You would do this by using a ventilator for a few hrs a day... Also, after the long weekend of May is usually a safe time to transplant outside.

2009 Apr 16
Trachino - Ok, this is based on luck I've had in the past (and some not so lucky results as well).

Begin seeds indoors (as you have done). Keep them inside as long as possible... transplanting them to bigger containers. Move them outside on the best days and in the sunlight, away from the wind. Bring them inside at night. Once the temps get more stable, I'd say around the May 24th weekend, then you can expose them to a bit of wind, or overnight them in an enclosed area (garden shed, garage). But make sure the temps won't dip below freezing. By early June you should have healthy, vigourous plants that can be planted in the garden. To help them with the shock of transplant to the garden, and give them a good start, water them with a product such as Miracle-Gro for Veggies.

You should also be able to find a lot of info on the Net about growing herbs.

Although I love seedlings, (something about getting Spring underway early) I find it a lot of work... so pretty much now I rely on picking up pots of herbs at the local Garden Centres... they do well during the summer (as long as they are watered regularly and not in blasting heat). I don't have much luck with them inside over winter (not enough light or a good place to put them). So I just tend to buy new pots each Spring.

2009 Apr 16
If the seedlings have their first true leaves (usually the second set), take the plastic off or you will risk growing fungus (damping off) which can kill them or possibly cook them. You could also transplant them into bigger pots (small yogurt containers or similar works well) now so the roots will have a place to grow and make the plants stronger. Just ensure that the water can drain out the bottom (a hole in the bottom covered by a coffee filter or newpaper) so the plants don't drown.
As for putting them outside (hardening off) usually you start slowly, 20 minutes - 1/2 hour outside - dappled sun at most or you will burn your plants. Next day you can increase the time - I usually double it and continue until the plants are out all the time. After the first few days you can also increase the amount of light. Even if the plants are in a full sun window, the glass prevents a lot of the light from getting through and direct full sun right away is too much.
Note on the long weekend in May - it would be fine likely for non-tender herbs but might be a bit early for tender ones like basil. It is also a bit early this year 17th - mid May. Late would be better for full frost avoidance. Salad greens can go by end of April or a bit earlier as they are cool weather crops and do much better in the late spring and fall. The full heat of the summer sun usually makes them bolt (go to seed).

Good luck and enjoy!

2009 Apr 16
I have a ton of books on gardening but this one I bought as a joke for my ex turned out to be a great source book :D